Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming microstutter

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Gaming microstutter

@djrazz That will be due to the router not being able to respond to pings - one way around it is to forward something to the DMZ of the router - in my case I used a Blu Ray player, as it was the "dumbest" thing on my network - i.e. it would not - hopefully be susceptible to attack as it could not be logged nto, but was "pingable" 

HTH

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@djrazz is this something you'd be able to do?

It would really help in trying to identify what the issue may be. Apologies for the inconvenience.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
djrazz
Dabbler

djrazz
Dabbler

Hi on playing the game or trying to. I have noticed that I am getting a ping of over 8000  sometimes down to 4000 sometimes to 2000 and sometimes to a normal 13. Please can we get this sorted. Never had this problem before I switched to plusnet Sad

I cannot do a year without playing games with my friends and Nor should I have to

Cheers Chris

djrazz
Dabbler

20180709212656_1.jpg

djrazz
Dabbler

At one point it went to 14000 ms. This is totally unacceptable

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @djrazz

When I made a change to the way your connection routed across our network Here did you test it out by playing your game as well as running the traceroute? Because from what I can see that traceroute looks fine so it'd be good to know if you have any real world/actual performance issues back then.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
djrazz
Dabbler

Hi Yes the problem still persisted

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for confirming @djrazz

This is a tough one as every test we're running is saying there's no problem, and we've ruled out the one thing I suspected it might be.

That said I've discussed this with the BTwholesale quality assurance team at length and they've arranged to move your circuit to a different VLAN at the exchange which is essentially what we did for a similar case over Here.

However, it's a bit of a blind move as they're not finding any issues with the current VLAN you're on. The move should happen overnight and fingers crossed tomorrow things look better. Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
djrazz
Dabbler

Hi will have a check tomorrow. I have read through a few previous post and the common thing I am seeing is the game Rust and Plusnet. Pretty sure mine is related as what they described is exactly what im getting...ping goes from normal then creeps up to sometimes 10000 (Ten thousand) + then slowly back down to normal Sad

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've had a read of your thread again with a bit of head scratching. Are there any particular times of the day you're able to play Rust without the stuttering? What are your speeds like when you experience the lag? You can run a speed test Here.

Also, does the ThinkBroadband BQM show packet loss when you're not playing Rust?

It may be worth downloading WinMTR to run a traceroute to the gaming server you're connected to. This guide should help you locate the IP address of the server, replacing the references to WoW with Rust.

Do you experience the stuttering when playing Rust but with no other devices using your connection?

That said, fingers crossed the work our suppliers are doing overnight tonight fixes this.

The fact you're getting buffering in the evenings does kind of point to congestion IMO.

P.S. You may have received a notification about this topic being marked as fixed, apologies I mis-clicked. I rectified it soon after.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note.
Moved to gaming
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
djrazz
Dabbler

Hi Thanks for your help

The problem is still there. I am having massive lag ingame...doors dont open when I click..Other players on the server seem to stop then suddenly shoot off 20 yards or so...then stop then shoot off again...I have run a tracerout to the server I am playing on and that seems fine also installed WinMTR and run that whilst playing (experiencing stutter and lag(ingame)) but win MTR looks normal aswell...Ping goes from 13  then to 200 then to 800ish then up to 8000 is aometimes then back to 13 again.

If I am on a low pop server it seems better but still noticable..on a server with 50+ then the lag is more noticable and unplayable

Its stumping me I am very computer savvy so have tried everything my end....new cables, new HD, Fresh windows...Memory checks, Cpu stress test, Gpu stress test...kicking it Wink

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

What are your speeds like? Are you able to replicate the issue using a different PC?
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
djrazz
Dabbler

Hi Speeds are fine and as expected 30 ish down and 5 up. I dont have a different pc to try with.

I am going to try and take my PC to work and try there