cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming microstutter

djrazz
Dabbler

Gaming microstutter

Hi I have recently switched from BT to plusnet and am experiencing Microstutter in my games ..namely Rust. Nothing else has changed setup wise only the Broadband and router. I have tried going back to BT router but the stutter is still there. I also get buffering at 9pm everynight on streaming channels Started to think I've made a mistake by switching. Any Ideas.

Cheers

30 REPLIES 30
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Re: Gaming microstutter

Hi @djrazz,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the forum. Can you advise if you are seeing this problem over a wired connection or wireless connection?

Does the router's light change colour when the stutter occurs?

Sammy

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
djrazz
Dabbler

Hi  I am on a wired connection The light stays blue and the microstutter is constant..small jitters every 2-3 seconds.

I have tried a different ethernet cable and different router still the problem persists

Cheers Chris

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hello @djrazz,

Thanks for getting back to us. In this case we would recommend looking at port forwarding which may help with this. Unfortunately we do not support this, however there are several threads about this on our community page which may help. 

Sammy 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
plux
Dabbler

Djrazz, I'm not convinced by their response. I've been having a lot of stuttering too yesterday and it's abhorrent this morning. Traceroute is showing me a LOT of packet loss when it reaches plus net. I'd recommend you see what your traceroutes are showing.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@djrazz I've made a change to how your service routes across our network in an attempt to try to identify the problem. Can you let us know if you are still having issues from now? Please also let us know if this resolves the issue as ideally this change can't be permanent but it should allow us to investigate further.

Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
djrazz
Dabbler

Hi The issue is still there.

Tracing route to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.164]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  bthub [192.168.1.254]
  2    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  410.xe-2-2-0.central10.pcn-bng02.plus.net [84.93.253.72]
  3    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  411.be6.pcn-ir01.plus.net [84.93.253.75]
  4    11 ms    10 ms    11 ms  core1-BE1.colindale.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.125.132]
  5    10 ms    10 ms    11 ms  peer8-et-0-0-1.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [62.172.103.170]
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7    15 ms    11 ms    13 ms  po4-31.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.85]
  8    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.164]

Trace complete.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @djrazz,

I'm sorry to hear that this issue is still ongoing. Have you had a look into port forwarding?

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
djrazz
Dabbler

Hi Tried Port forwarding ...Even tried DMZ just to make sure

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear that hasn't helped @djrazz.

Looking at the trace routers you have performed there's not much more that we can realistically do from our side to help with this due to the problem being with latency.

Although we do support a minimum guaranteed access line speed, we are unable guarantee anything similar for latency. This is because a majority of these issues exist between your devices and the server that they're connecting too.

In regards to the buffering when streaming, can you advise if that occurs;

- On a wireless or wired connection?

-While no other devices are in use?

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
djrazz
Dabbler

Hi Both wired and wireless..and yes I have a few connected around the house..Son Xbox, Daughter Netfilx, Wife Laptop.

Never ever had a problem with TalkTalk or BT as to the amount of people on the connection the only thing that has changed is ISP

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi drjazz, did you run the traceroute whilst the latency was a problem? if not I'd try and do that next if you can. - Adam 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@djrazz

Please could you run a ThinkBroadBand Quality Monitor test here and post up the graph when the issue next occurs?

Make sure you're doing this over a wired connection.

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@plux wrote:

Djrazz, I'm not convinced by their response. I've been having a lot of stuttering too yesterday and it's abhorrent this morning. Traceroute is showing me a LOT of packet loss when it reaches plus net. I'd recommend you see what your traceroutes are showing.

Do you have an example of the packet loss you are seeing?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
djrazz
Dabbler

Hi I have tried monitoring it I just get a solid red graph

Broadband Monitor