cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming and ping

MichaelBendikas
Grafter

Gaming and ping

Right so, i have this problem with my ping, when ever someone using youtube, streams a video loads a big site, something which uses all of my connection, my ping sky rockets and only the device using that much speed gets to use the internet, and other devices struggle, has anyone ever had this problem and does anyone know how to fix it, ive had engineers round to sort issues and they've fixed everything they can. do i have to buy a special type of router that'll manage the amount of bandwidth used to stop this?
on teamspeak while this is happening i get 1400+ ping no packet loss
steam downloads do not effect my ping, however normal downloads do.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4150916082
Downloading with steam: http://i.imgur.com/TbDXSbA.png
Downloading with chrome: http://i.imgur.com/5nEp2CF.png
7 REPLIES 7
ghos7em1
Grafter

Re: Gaming and ping

if i had to guess i say your using the technicolor router? only thing you can do is buy a better router but i still had lag problems so now im in the process of moving isp.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Michael.B
That shouldn't happen really.
The pings you've attached when downloading via Steam look fine and what I'd expect, however those when you're downloading via Chrome don't look so hot. I'm guessing the same pings happen when you're watching YouTube as when you're downloading via Chrome?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MichaelBendikas
Grafter

Anything on chrome or internet explorer does that, I used the plusnet router, I have another spare one which I've tried, I've also tried a netgear router all with the same results, I just find it odd how steam doesn't effect the ping at all.
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

this may or may not help but have you tried jumping gateway... disconnecting your router then connecting and trying ?
I have noticed that somtimes when im in Teamspeak and i watch a random youtube clip my ping can somtimes jump from 15ms to 190ms only in the time im streaming also with no packet loss.
As for gaming my pings fine at the moment.
MichaelBendikas
Grafter

Restarting it does nothing, some times i get an american ping which seems to remove most of the problems which confuses me
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Gaming and any form of streaming do not mix if you have a slow connection, it's one or the other
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
MichaelBendikas
Grafter

Not just gaming and streaming if one device such as my sky box is downloading a video all other devices in the house struggle to even load google