cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Usage

cal1
Dabbler

Gaming Usage

hey guys, just wondering how my monthly usage on gaming is worked out. Just checked my usage for this month and after only 5 days or so already 6gb has been used and 4gb just on gaming. This seems a bit high and if this keeps going i will be well over my monthly usage before the month is up. cheers. ps. I play games online on my PC.
14 REPLIES 14
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Gaming Usage

From what I understand gaming is taken from the ports and type of traffic used.
But In 5 days 6gig is excessive let alone 4gig of gaming, unless you have been downloading patches.  As for 4gig worth of gaming have you been Hosting servers and hosting custom maps?  That will increase the amout you upload by a lot as everyone that tries to join a hosted server and hasn't got the map etc will get the current custom map even if they just join for a second to check there ping.  So try not to allow uploading of custom maps if you do or thats your upload speed maxed out.
As for mine I avgerage about 1-2gig a month of gaming traffic but I only play MMO's atm.  So would check with that amount useage that your network is secure if its wireless or if Cat5 cabled then password your pc to stop family using it when they should not be as 4gig is way too much for 5 days use.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That does seem like alot of gaming traffic in a few days, you haven't had a number of game updates to download? Either manually or via steam?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
cal1
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick replys.
Ive had no updates whatsoever to download. Ive looked in detail at my usage and i hav 5.7gb total and 60% of that is gaming so sorry for my over estimate (just rounded it up before), but this seems still very high for gaming over just 6/7 days.
Talking to other friends and doing a bit of research it seems people who play online for several hours a day still only use about 1gb over the entire month for gaming. 2 laptops also run wireless off the router (which is connected to my pc) but only 1 of them is used for games (however rarely, usually less than an hour a day).
Today i have been the only one using the internet, i have played counterstrike source for id say 2 hours ish and ive already used 240mb (is this correct?). I very rarely download anything, main reason i switched to plusnet was for gaming. (which by the way has been superb so far, low pings etc).
p.s. this isnt a complaint Tongue Im just wondering if there are any reasons to why it is such high usage.
Cheers Smiley
EDIT - Just to update, today i havent downloaded anything, all i have done is played a few hours on css and have racked up 900mb. Im guessing something is wrong here?
Gus
Aspiring Pro

900mb is a bit high for normal gaming and background noise in a single day.  Suggest you disable your wifi for a few days and see what happens, suspect a neighbour is piggy backing your network.  If thats true then time to change your wifi Pre-Shared Key(PSK) and increasing the xecurity strength to 64 or 128bit
cal1
Dabbler

The chance of a  neighbour using my net is almost 0. The gap between us and the next house is too much to pick us a connection, plus they are a really old couple that are hardly ever in. Also on my usage stats 60% is gaming. Is it possible there is a trafficing fault or something? Todays usage has gone from 850mb to 920mb in like the last 2 hours and ive basically dne nothing but browse. bah! Sad
mal0z
Grafter

It's not just people in houses -
people with Laptops are known to drive around looking for unprotected wifi -
or are you in a remote spot in the country away from a public road ?
cal1
Dabbler

Im nit in a remote part, im on a street. Besides my wifi is passworded.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Passworded it might be but wifi is never 100% secure, search youtube for wifi sniffing and see how easy it is to find a password if your using WEP and not WPA or WPA2
scootie
Grafter

yep they only need a copy of backtrack (linux) and a compatable wifi card and wep is cracked in minutes. where wpa can be cracked but it takes them days not minutes so they would really want to be after somthing for them stay within range of your router to do this. plus there is diffent encypt methods you can select with wpa i think tkip is the weakst but still strong. cant rember the other encypt choice. i use a string of random numbas and letters of over 20 and make sure they is no words in the passscode as a dictonary attack says it all.
cal1
Dabbler

If u read my first post it says that 60% of my usage is gaming, its now nearer 70%. So what ur saying is someone is coming outside my house everyday, connecting to my net, and then sits down and plays games all day? the fact my router is only on a few hours a day as well, so these mysterious people come at the right times. I find this so unlikely it is almost impossible Tongue
edit - "looks out of window for strange looking person with a laptop". Cheesy
scootie
Grafter

download net limter or another bandwith usage monitor and then you can compare what usage your pc has done and then look at what plusnets usage monitor is reporting and see if they match up.
i would still change my ecpt to wpa and defentley if you shop or bank online. do you not watch shows like the hustle on bbc 3.
p.s look out for anyone with empty baked bean can or a straining sev as they use this homemade anttenas to increase signal strength its funny but true. i tried it my self when looking at what channels negibouring routers was using to elmenate cross talk and picked up an extra 20+ routers
cal1
Dabbler

ok, thanks for the advice Smiley Basically i dont do anything but game and browse forums, thats why im so supprised my usage is so high. ill contact plusnet and see what they think. But i do literally just game and browse, dont download anything, ind gaming/browsing is only a few hours a day. Sad
James
Grafter

We can get your CBC logs from BT.
That shows exactly how much your connection has been downloading per day or by hour on a particular day.
cal1
Dabbler

Jameseh that would be great if you could do that Smiley would appreciate it a lot. Thanks