Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Package

untiedshoes
Dabbler

Gaming Package

Hi,
Hope someone can help?
I'm currently on the 'PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 3' and play online games using the PS3 a lot, but over the last few months, I have noticed my pings etc getting worse, at some points there is no point even playing, and after throwing the controller a few times, it's then time to turn the PS3 off!
What would be the best package for me to move to to insure I get low Pings/Latency etc?
I did read about the Your Way Pro which was designed for gaming, but I can't see the listed?
Also been reading about people having awful pings problems in another thread?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig
6 REPLIES 6
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Gaming Package

M8 the pro package does not come with fast track interleaving off you would have to request this as with all the PN packages and really comes down to whether you have a stable line to start with as knocking it off will slow down downloads.
For gaming IMO interleaving off is a must. One thing people get confused with the gaming package is what type of gaming it applies, it is really intended for PC gamers as oppose consolers. When games come out (PC) certain ports are used and PN tries to make sure that traffic on these ports is prioritised for gamers. Having a console which use the same ports all the time they are already prioritised so not much benefit that way unless you pc game.
Having said that the benefits are that on the pro game package all traffic is prioritised at all times meaning I can dload updates at peak time or play at peak time without ever being restricted as some traffic is at some times on the other packages. This though does come at a price though as it is restricted to I think 15gig peak time could be wrong there was an update lately.
So for me I don't mind because I would rather have the unrestricted speeds as oppose the bigger limits cause I don't dload much anyway especially at peak times. I prefer the faster speed at all times of day.
Your call if you are similar to my situ then you can try the pro but if not request the interleaving knocked off and see how that runs it can always be knocked back on if you have any problems with it.
Google it and check how interleaving off will affect your speeds.
(Adding) Dont use the PS network as an example at the minute its going through some maintenance work and stuff isn't working right now like trophy syncing and updates it will improve
neil3045
Grafter

Take a look at this thread:  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80506.0.html ; Looks like theres a huge server issue at the mo So wouldnt say youd get much difference on any package at the minute!
Mand
Grafter

Re:Gaming Package

Hi there,
As has been said, the Pro product is aimed at PC gamers more than consoles.
Gaming is in Gold on both products, however on Pro all traffic is prioritised, regardless of the traffic type.
Your usage pattern fits for Pro, so if you wanted to try this we could do this for you, with an option to go back to your old product if it doesn't work out for you?
scootie
Grafter

mand gaming is titanium  Wink
pro only uses gold and titatum which are both line speed at all times, where if a game on the pc dosent have a sig yet its possable on value and preminum that it could be classed as p2p till a sig is put live to upgrade it to titanium
goberpiles
Grafter

Re:Gaming Package

Quote from: Mand
Hi there,
As has been said, the Pro product is aimed at PC gamers more than consoles.
Gaming is in Gold on both products, however on Pro all traffic is prioritised, regardless of the traffic type.
Your usage pattern fits for Pro, so if you wanted to try this we could do this for you, with an option to go back to your old product if it doesn't work out for you?

Giving your comments on gaming traffic for console users please tell us why on Pro I have been able to play Fifa 10 on my PS3 every night and not get kicked from one game, then when I got moved back to premium traffic managment yesturday all the old issue have returned leaving me unable to play Fifa 10 online AT ALL!
max99
Grafter

isn't FIFA an EA game?  if so i think it will use dedicated EA servers (Battlefield 1942 does) therefore maybe the traffic priority dosen't know the sig?  just a guess