cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Issues

jamesc160

Gaming Issues

Hi everyone,
Not 100% sure I've posted this in the correct thread so apologies if i havent.
I have Plusnet Fibre Unlimited which I find fantastic and am getting consistently 40Mb+ speeds on my laptop and Xbox through Wi-Fi.
I recently bought a PS4 and unfortunately the speeds I am getting are terrible, ranging from 850Kbps - 1.5 Mbps
I understand that the PSN network has been down over the Christmas period however I have been able to log in fine and am able to start downloads and
access all the PSN content the problem is only with the speeds that I am getting.
The Router is a fair distance away from my PS4 however the xbox picks it up fine. I have tried changing DNS settings on the PS4 and putting the PS4 in the DMZ with a permanent IP address, I have also checked countless online walkthroughs to try and resolve the issue but alas, nothing seems to work, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps the PS4's wireless receiver isnt as good as the Xbox's (do not want to start a console war with that comment)
I did read somewhere that the router supplied by plusnet does have issues with console connectivity, but short of buying a new router does anyone have any ideas?

I have ordered some powerline adaptors so I can wire up the PS4 connection and will update on how that works once they arrive.
Thanks in advance for your help.
James.
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Gaming Issues

I'm assuming that the XBOX and PS4 are the same distance (roughly) away from the router? You could try changing the wireless channel in the router to see if that makes any difference.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jamesc160

Thanks for your reply Chris,
The ps4 and xbox are indeed the same distance away, the ps4 actually being marginally closer.
I have tried all channels, one of which actually increased my broadband speed but unfortunately not for the ps4.
All4One
Grafter

You did the right thing with powerline adapters (if they can link) !!
jamesc160

I hope so!  Grin
I've already spend enough over Christmas without having to also buy a new router! They should be arriving today so will update once I've tried them.
Edit:
Powerline adaptors arrived, now getting 35Mbps on PS4 Cheesy
problem solved, thanks everyone.