Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTA5

randpwar
Grafter

GTA5

See, I’m down with the kids  Wink
It was my lad’s 14th birthday yesterday and he’s the proud new owner of Grand Theft Auto 5. He played it a little bit yesterday after school and wanted to stay up until midnight as it became available online at that time; despite the fact that he’s not in school today he was disappointed! He reckons it’s no coincidence that the teachers chose today to strike  Smiley
On first views he’s very impressed. Anyone else on here tried it yet?
16 REPLIES 16
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: GTA5

Not me but I know some of the old timers were talking about playing it - you know, people who you'd never think would approve of video games (strat wasn't it?)
When I was a kid, the old folks used to moan like crazy about kids and computer games. Now it seems they're just as into it as the kids  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
randpwar
Grafter

Perhaps strat's too busy playing it to post. If it's really good we may be looking for a new mod (very much hope not  :))
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: randpwar
It was my lad’s 14th birthday yesterday and he’s the proud new owner of Grand Theft Auto 5

Good to see the BBFC classifications don't bother you!
BBFC Rating: Suitable for 18 years and over. Not for sale to persons under age 18.
PEGI 18
The adult classification is applied when the level of violence reaches a stage where it becomes depictions of gross violence and/or includes elements of specific types of violence. Gross violence is the most difficult to define since in a lot of cases it can be very subjective, but in general terms it can be classed as the depictions of violence that would make the viewer feel a sense of revulsion.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Same as kmilburn, it is strictly an adult game.  Is a  teenager that just turned 14 adult enough for it, I very much doubt it.  Go give it a shot and rethink if it is suitable for him
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
randpwar
Grafter

Understand what you’re saying but I’m comfortable with it.
He has a very clear understanding of what is right and I know that there isn’t anything that he will see, hear or do on this game that will change him from a fundamentally well rounded, sociable lad. Gaming makes only a small part of his entertainment. He’s a very active member of the Sea Scouts who spent two weeks of his summer holiday on camp at Windermere, sails and kayaks a lot and spent all day Sunday water skiing. This isn’t a lad that does nothing other than sit on his X-box.
So, he gets to steal cars and rob banks…it’s a game
We used to try and protect the kids from language but TBH, as soon as they get to high school, they hear variations of it that probably I’ve never heard!
He’s a polite, well-mannered and well-tempered lad; this game’s not going to change that

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

On first views he’s very impressed. Anyone else on here tried it yet?

I don't think Online was scheduled to launch until 7.00am EST i.e. Midday today so probably a good job he didn't stay up Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

randpwar
Grafter

He was playing it online about 9am this morning  Smiley
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Understand what you’re saying but I’m comfortable with it.
He has a very clear understanding of what is right and I know that there isn’t anything that he will see, hear or do on this game that will change him from a fundamentally well rounded, sociable lad.

No offence but I'm sure plenty of parents see their kids as angels. Doesn't mean they're not little ****s when they're out with their mates though. Games that praise violence are seen as a 'cool' thing amongst kids who often then translate that into real life thinking it gives them street cred.
That doesn't mean all kids will be influenced by it but many with 'problems' are.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
[No offence but I'm sure plenty of parents see their kids as angels. Doesn't mean they're not little ****s when they're out with their mates though. Games that praise violence are seen as a 'cool' thing amongst kids who often then translate that into real life thinking it gives them street cred.
That doesn't mean all kids will be influenced by it but many with 'problems' are.

I’m not offended at all. Actually, I welcome the debate and the points you’re making are perfectly understandable and valid. I recall strat had a thread a little while ago covering much the same ground
No, he’s no angel, but he’s genuinely a good lad. He hasn’t got a violent bone in his body so the idea of gaining street cred (had a little laugh at this because we live in a sleepy village) from stealing pretend cars or shooting pretend innocents just won’t enter his head.
As I said, gaming only makes a small part of what he does for fun and he’s a quiet outdoor type of lad. If things were opposite then we wouldn’t have let him have it
But, the debate is an important one
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I'm enjoying it now that my driving is a little less erratic.
I'll have to stop 'borrowing' taxis though as I spend much of the evening picking up fares.
However my son brought me Portal 2 at the weekend and that's putting controller and TV screen at serious risk.
One of my grandsons is a purple belt Karate and has experience of GTA5.
Knowing him as I do I don't think the former will be used in an emulation of the latter.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Razer
Grafter

As is typical for me, I watch people playing games more than I play them. I've watched some of this game being played, then had to stop after about five videos, because it was just so much crap. It was like watching a very badly scripted B film. There's only so much I can take of watching two characters drive some distance in a car - stolen or otherwise, and having to listen to their jive; jive that makes them sound, not cool, but like a pair of complete tossers. It's a bit like watching all those wankers in hip-hop videos. YAWN.
flaminmoses
Grafter

great game
shame i cant get into the online section.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

He was playing it online about 9am this morning  Smiley

He was lucky to have played at all from what I hear! Wink
I've not tried yet. Might give it a bash tonight.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've been trying on and off but with no online success.
I get the 'Cloud Servers unavailable' error.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine