7 REPLIES 7
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: GTA5 NAT

Mathias
Grafter

there are already loads of topics on how to open NAT. Basically comes down to port forwarding. Note that the plusnet default routers are horrible for doing this effectively.
Wizhunter
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Can i just replace the router that plusnet gave me ?..and what about the openreach box that came with it ?..Not very technical when it comes to these things..I do have a Linksys router..Can i use that ?
Mathias
Grafter

Yes you can replace the router that PN gave you. I personally don't use it as it's cr*p. In which case just find a router that is either appropriate for ADSL or fibre (whichever you have)
If you want to replace the openreach modem then you need a device that has integrated both modem and router. can't advise you on those as i haven't looked into them.
You need to give more details if you are expecting advice and help on your linksys router. ie product name/number.
Else search the forums as there's been plenty asking for router/modem advice.
psymon

I assume you're playing on xbox?
See if setting your DMZ to that in the router's advanced options does anything to help.
Wizhunter
Grafter

I am playing on PC..the problem now is..I have a static ip but cant save it to the PC..if i google for my IP its the new static one..but when i run ipconfig its the dynamic one..i need to change this but it wont let me
Andrue
Pro

You need to understand the difference between WAN and LAN. WAN (Wide Area Network) is in simple terms 'the internet'. LAN (Local Area Network) is the network in your house. It's important for you to realise that they are two separate things. Data packets from the Internet never reach your LAN. What actually happens when a packet arrives from the Internet is that your router reads it, works out which machine on your LAN it relates to and then creates a new LAN packet that contains the data and sends that into your LAN.
This is called Network Address Translation - you can look that up separately.
The important take-away point here is that no-one on the internet can access your PC directly. It simply isn't possible.
Now normally your router can work out what LAN address to send a packet to because the packet header has a conversation ID and the router tracks all the conversations started by your devices. It knows that 'conversation XX' packets should be sent to YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY because it was YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY that started the conversation. But if a random packet arrives it has no clue who to send it to so it just discards it. What you need to do is tell your router that certain packets should always go to a specific address.
This is nearly always done by port number. You create a port forwarding rule on your router. What this rule says is 'If you ever receive a packet for port XXX forward it to that port on the device at yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy'. As for how you do that it depends on the router. Most of them refer to it as port forwarding but some call it 'virtual server'. They are basically the same thing but virtual server allows you to specify a different target port so the rule can be 'If you ever receive a packet for port XXX forward it to port ZZZ on the device at YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY'.
The other thing you will have to do is ensure that your target PC has a fixed LAN address. That is usually done by going into its network settings and manually setting the IP address. You should pick an address that is outside of your router's 'DHCP pool'. If you get stuck on that ask here again Smiley