cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Person Shooters, so frustrating sometimes.

Grff
Grafter

First Person Shooters, so frustrating sometimes.

These are a few quick photos, taken in different game types of COD5, at various times of the evening, from 11.00pm - 3am.
No prizes for guessing which user is me.  Grin

Makes me look like I can't play half the time.   Embarrassed
On the odd occasions it makes me the host, I'm usually the top of the list.  Grin
What's more frustrating is the annoying players that brag cos they won with a full connection, an MP40 and stopping power.
Going one on one with another player is pointless, So I try using a silencer, camo, and then camp and ambush a little. But if anyone with the usual mp40 and stopping power sees me, i'm dead.
So, I try using the same boring MP40 and stopping power as everyone else, and end up back at square one where as soon as Recon goes up, they see me and i'm dead, watching the kill cam and seeing that I didn't even fire a bullet.
Despite the frustrations, I still like the game.
I wonder if they designers could measure the speed of your connection, and adjust the weapon strength to make it a bit fairer.  Those with less connection to the host get slightly extra damage, those with the best connection to the host get slightly less.
20 REPLIES 20
scootie
Grafter

Re: FPS, so frustrating sometimes.

griff you on 21cn adsl2+ trial?
i take you have interleaving turned off on your line?
and if your exchange's vp capicty is red it might be a gd idea to pay for max preminum to get abit more prioity over the BTw network i used max prem before going on 21cn even tho my exchange has never been red and it seemed to make gaming abit smoother all tho it only droped my ping by 1 maybe 2 ms not to forget the 832kbps upload
also take it your being a gd boy and using the gamers best friend cable and not wireless
the title had me abit confused for a second when reading your post i thought you were a pc gamer moaning about frames per second Grin
Grff
Grafter

Re: FPS, so frustrating sometimes.

I'm not the on the adsl2 trial, I don't think my exchange is ready yet.
Interleaving is on though, as it seems to make the line unpredictable when it's off.
i'm also on a legacy package, as i don't believe switching to the pro makes the latency any better for me.
My line comes into the master socket, then straight into the router about 30cm's away, and the xbox is direct cabled to the router about 1 foot away from the router.
The exchange status is green and I don't think i've ever seen it red.
I just put it down to the old line, giving me around a 3mb connection, and being around 1.8k from the exchange. Sad
You are approximately 1.82km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!

Interestingly BT reckons "Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 5Mbps or greater", while plusnet have me down as 4mb. (and my router also syncs at 5mb).  Not that I'd expect that to help with a bit of latency though.  However putting in a downstream Att of 53 on this page says i'm approx 3km line lenth, and 4mb is right.
ADSL Link - Downstream - Upstream
Connection Speed - 5088 kbps - 448 kbps
Line Attenuation - 53.0 db - 31.5 db
Noise Margin -  6.8 db - 18.0 db

I'm generally happy with the connection so not sure there's anything else i can do, it was more a discussion about how much frustration a bit of latency can cause when playing games like this.  Even more so if i play at more respectable time in the evening (instead of stying up and then having to get up for work  Wink Grin )
I think that's why I started playing hardcore. so when I put a full clip into someone they don't turn around, raise their gun and then kill me, showing a different story in the kill cam. Smiley
I wonder what value of latency the 4 bars connection meter represent?
scootie
Grafter

Re: First Person Shooters, so frustrating sometimes.

I wonder what value of latency the 4 bars connection meter represent?

ive tried googling for that answer before and never found the answer.
strange that fastpath dosent suit your line as iam on 51db worth of atten and on adsl my stable profile rates were 2.5 /3mb with the max sync i ever saw was 4200kbps on 9db noise margin target but was super stable on a 12db target on fastpath.
thats the thing with fastpath tho on long lines you really have to trade abit of line speed for less errors counts but as my main use for my line is gaming i dont mind the trade off
i use to sync my adsl line as snr was dropping in the evening to set bit loading up for night time condtions which gave next to zero errors on fastpath
below are errors on my highest fast path sync on adsl2
Grff
Grafter

These were last night (well, this morning  ;)m ) when the game decided I must have a fiarly decent upstream and gave me the host again.
It doesn't give anyone else 4 bars when i'm the host, but then, who cares if i get an advantage for a change.  Grin

When I jameseh turned off interleaving for me, it just seems like there were loads of hicups in the line and the profile dropped itself quite a bit, so we stuck it back on, and it sorted itself out.  I think i'll have to move house.  Wink Grin
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The lower your Ping in game = mini god mode, as you can tell from when you host.  If you have fired a shotgun in real life then you'll have to give lead to your shots if there moving and when your not hosting.  This mainly as the difference to hosting and not will be in excess of 150ms and upto 450ms as when you host you bascially have the same ping as to your router, so 5-15ms maximum.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
scootie
Grafter

have you noticed if say your in MTD and your ping is 3 bars if you then move to TD rooms you will get full 4 bars.
also do you notice any diffrence when you choice the local option on search prefences
Grff
Grafter

I've not noticed any difference in changing rooms.  Although I do get host quite a bit late at night when I play hardcore.
Maybe it's just there are less people playing hardcore.
TDM seems to be the one where I get less of a connection.
Tyreal74
Grafter

i dont have any problems at all expcet when the americans are on cos i sometimes get 1/2 bars
my problem is im more hot and cold than anything i can have some evenings where i have a storming session and others where i die far too much.
i generally have 3 bars and dont experience any problems with kills
scootie
Grafter

pretty much the same for me tyreal before i moved to the trial now iam getting some real bad periods of latency mainly when p2p get relesed to line speed but hopefuly this will get fixed this week.
i know why most use the mp40 now, its king when your latency is through the roof
Before i was pretty much 4 bars and host with the odd match being 3 bars but i take 3 bar match's as me being the lone brit in room against a load of yanks.
setup before i went on trial was fastpath with max preminum on a longish line same results on bbyw3 and the new unlimited
Tyreal74
Grafter

i refuse to use the mp40 still, but i agreee when its laggy its definately king.
thats wheni generally whip out the stg
*id have you a game on cod but your an mp40 nub Wink
scootie
Grafter

keep moving and lie down tatic i was using against chirs the other night  worked a treat when i started lagging abit.
which he  was calling camping ;D.
heres a question how long would you say some one has to be in the same spot for them to be classed as camping?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

3.5 seconds 😛
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

takes me longer than 3.5secs to reload my browning.
so every time i dive for cover to reload iam camping then Crazy
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Get slight of hand Wink Helps the reloading time majorly.
If any of you play on the PC feel free to add me and I'll show you how it's done, I'll even give you a chance and use a bolt rifle Wink Although I have just scored 72-26 with a bolt rifle.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.