cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre unlimited - Pro Add On

redbull2k14
Grafter

Fibre unlimited - Pro Add On

I will be having fibre unlimited installed in February. I would like to know how much difference this has on ping with a fibre connection?
26 REPLIES 26
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Fibre unlimited - Pro Add On

None!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dragon2611
Grafter

http://f8lure.mouselike.org/index.asp?DoAction=ViewHost&HostName=firnen.flying-beast.net
About 14ms from Rapidswitch to my FTTC line
Whoops didn't notice this was about the pro addon  Embarrassed thought it was just about the latency on an FTTC line  Undecided
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I suppose I could have pointed out that the principle differences would be:

• He'd be £5 per month poorer and Plusnet £5 per month richer

• The use of VoIP, gaming and streaming would be worse when there were large background downloads running at the same time

redbull2k14
Grafter

cheers for the info, i did read that there would be a better ping now im wondering what other people got when they went for the pro add on on fibre.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Adding the Pro add on will make no difference to your latency. All it does is bring other traffic up to a higher priority which can have a detrimental affect. Pro was designed for Plusnet Essentials and other products no longer sold which had rate limits on things like downloads. It is not needed or beneficial on Unlimited.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

As Jelv said really.
If you're on our Unlimited Product (Introduced as of December 2012) you'll be fine for gaming without the Pro Add On and you won't really see any improvement on performance.
dazzleraw

Hi
I've just added the Pro Add On and already I'm feeling a little cheated. The description on the add on page sounds great (Upgrades your service to a top-class prioritised connection, ideal for online gaming and working from home) but having played around with it for a little while the only difference I can see is that I now get 35 mbps rather than 38!! This lead me to search the forums and I found this thread. I'm aware it's a little old but the comments, in particular Chris Pettitt 's seem relevant. It would appear that this add on would only ever have benefitted customers using older broad band products. If this is the case (and Plusnet know so!) why is it included as an optional add on for my fibre broadband package?Huh

dazzleraw

Are these posts no longer monitored?Huh
Mathias
Grafter

PN staff are rarely seen in this part of the forum. My guess is that PN view this section as a "help/advice section on a game that you are stuck or want to buy - i.e. how do i complete this level, or my pc doesn't run this game very well etc." Therefore they seem to rely on the community to provide this assistance.
However, if you suspect you have a problem with your NETWORK which causing issues for gaming, then i would suggest posting in the ADSL or Fibre forums. Those boards seem to be more actively monitored by PN, so you should get a quicker response.
It's unfortunate it's done this way as many of the gamers posting in this section actually have issues with the PN service (either the connection or the cr*p PN router) and rarely get much help from the people who can actually fix it (ie PN not the gaming community).
Mathias
Grafter

With regards to your query on the PRO add-on. My advice is to simply not bother with it, as it seems to do little of benefit and therefore is a waste of money.
dazzleraw

Thanks Mathias. I'm removing the add on and writing off the fiver. It's usefulness (or otherwise!) should be made more clear in the write up for the product. It's a shame really because other than this we are very pleased with our recent move to PN fibre  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'd suggest you complain that it's wrongly described and you want your fiver back!
dazzleraw

I may well do. After all a fiver's a fiver!!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As others have mentioned, Pro is more useful for the older products to remove any rate limits or similar. Let me go have a look at your account.
If you remove the add-on I'll be able to sort something out for a refund.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.