Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fallout New Vegas rushed out

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Fallout New Vegas rushed out

Ok I said I'd wait in another thread but bought it anyway.
Wish I hadn't.  Same Fallout 3 engine with more tweaks that make it slide show on even a powerful PC.  Seriously can't see why this was released in its current state.
The first Set piece of the game with you defending a town, sees yourself and 4 defenders and 5 attackers.  Unless you use Vats or stare at the ground I defy any PC to run that well enough to even think of aiming and Hitting anything.  Fallout3 my pc can easily run it on maximum settings but they added Effects or animation to all characters that when you have more than 4 on screen you will slide show.
Another boxed game that requires steam to install it
Win7 64bit
Phenom 2.6
Nvidia GTX 470
4 gig of Corsair ram
10k spindle Raptor HDD
If you are planning on buying it, I would suggest waiting until its had a number of patches. As it is, it is still beta and should never have left the QA stage.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
9 REPLIES 9
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Fallout New Vegas rushed out

Its fine on the xbox  Wink
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I've got it on 360 and it's much more stable than reviews led me to believe. I'm pretty impressed with it tbh.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Spoiler ish reply.

To cap it all with its dodgy graphics forcing stuttering it has No free mode, once you complete the story line that is it end of game.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
HairyMcbiker
All Star

That was the same on the other one, once you activated the water purifier that was it gave over, what I did was to complete to just before activation then continue exploring.  Wink
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I guess they'll do a DLC with free roam, like Broken Steel on Fallout 3.
Moominfish
Grafter

Quote from: Gus
Wish I hadn't.  Same Fallout 3 engine with more tweaks that make it slide show on even a powerful PC.  Seriously can't see why this was released in its current state.
The first Set piece of the game with you defending a town, sees yourself and 4 defenders and 5 attackers.  Unless you use Vats or stare at the ground I defy any PC to run that well enough to even think of aiming and Hitting anything.
Win7 64bit
Phenom 2.6
Nvidia GTX 470
4 gig of Corsair ram
10k spindle Raptor HDD
If you are planning on buying it, I would suggest waiting until its had a number of patches. As it is, it is still beta and should never have left the QA stage.

It runs fine on my system, which has a good graphics card in it but not as up to date as yours,
My system is
Windows XP Professional 32 Bit/Windows 7 64 Bit in a dual boot config
i7 860 2.8
NVIDIA GTX 275
4 gig Corsair ram
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD
And it works pretty well, I agree it should never have left the Quality Assurance phase as it's massively bugged but it's not a slideshow by any means! It could definitely run a lot better than it does but it is playable, they just need to pull there finger out the proverbial! And release the patch that fixes everything.
I can tell you this though it runs far better on Windows XP than it does on Windows 7 with the latest NVIDIA drivers 260.99, that driver is installed on both windows yet Windows XP can and does run the game much better, it does jerk/stutter a lot more on Windows 7 than it does on Windows XP but I have no idea why because Fallout New Vegas doesn't use any more fancy graphics on Windows 7 nor does it use DirectX 11 as everything in the game is DirectX 9 only.
So I would say do buy it but be aware there are a lot of bugs still need fixing, and they don't seem to be in a rush to do anything about it... Surprise surprise......
David_W
Rising Star

I have no performance issues unless I turn it onto maximum quality settings, I go for, umm, high rather than ultra.  It does slow down when lots of NPC's are on screen (near the end) but that's about it.  Gameplay, like Fallout 3 only not as drab but not sure if it's really more than DLC rather than a "new" game, I'm doing another run through just exploring everything though, the placement of mobs can be an issue... trying to get to BOS safehouse and attacked by a deathclaw... not safe!
Specs are average I guess...
Intel E6500 @ 2.9Ghz
6Gb DDR2 (afaik F3 won't use more than 4Gb?)
1Gb GeForce 460GTX I think, yeah, 460GTX
Overall, slightly disappointed in the game hopefully DLC and updates will iron out the rough spots but after Oblivion on the PS3 with gamestopping bugs that were never fixed (and never will be) I'm not holding my breath.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Gus
Might be worth updating your graphics drivers (apologies if you've tried that already) - with newer cards there are often dramatic improvements between driver revisions.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Just found a bug. In the train tunnel by the Boomers if you try and go into the side entry you get transported back to the entrance via a "hole".
Finished once now by not really following the main thread (except the ending) and have now gone back to a previously saved game to explore more.