cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F/A-18 Operation Desert Storm Multiplayer Help

MeterMaid

F/A-18 Operation Desert Storm Multiplayer Help

I am a brand new member of the community and this is my first post so I'd just like to say Hi to everyone.
As usual for me (Girl)  Roll_eyes  I'm in need of some technical help and advice and I think this forum is my best chance of success.
I have quite an old flight simulator on my PC called F/A-18 Operation Desert Storm, by Graphsim / Empire Interactive. The same people that brought out Hornet 3, and Korea etc. (I love flight sims.)
The game has a multiplayer internet option but seems to differ somewhat from most other internet multiplayer games I've seen in that one player hosts a game and instead of that game appearing in a list for all to see, the joining players must type in the actual IP address of the host to connect to it. My friend and I would dearly love to fly against each other in multiplayer but try as we may, we just can't connect up. We have both tried hosting / joining but the host computer just doesn't seem visible to the joining computer and I can't fathom why not. We both have the internet connection set in the games options screen. My friend's ISP issue's him with a static IP address and although mine is dynamic, I make him aware of what it is.
The multiplayer game settings only require that it be set to either:-
Internet TCP/IP Connection For Direct Play
Modem Connection For Direct Play
Serial Connection For Direct Play
The multiplayer pdf file makes no mention of any particular ports to be used and the only options for multiplayer are those above. In case it's any help I have copied a few relevant paragraphs from the multiplayer pdf.
MULTIPLAYER
Multiplayer mode allows up to four players to fly together using a LAN (local area
network) or Internet connection, each using their own computer.
NETWORK SETTINGS
Under Settings there is a Network page, used to set network options. Most of this page
concerns the host, but the button labeled “Choose Connection Type” is used by both
the host and by joining players. If the game is to be played over the Internet, all
players should choose “Internet TCP/IP Connection…” In this case, joining players
must know the host name or the TCP/IP address of the host.
NOTE THAT WHEN THE HOST USES INTERNET SERVICE THAT DYNAMICALLY ALLOCATES IP
ADDRESSES (MOST DIALUP), JOINERS NEED TO GET THE IP ADDRESS OF THE HOST PLAYER
BEFORE THEY BEGIN THE GAME. MANY PEOPLE USE THEIR E-MAIL TO COMMUNICATE THE
HOST’S IP TO JOINING PLAYERS. AN IP ADDRESS CONSISTS OF A SET OF FOUR NUMBERS
SEPARATED BY PERIODS, FOR EXAMPLE: 192.168.100.3
That's all there is - the rest of the pdf just describes the type of game choices and aircraft load out etc.  Undecided
So does anyone have any ideas why the two computers fail to see each other over the internet or any remedies we may employ to fix things. Thank you for your time. MeterMaid.  Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: F/A-18 Operation Desert Storm Multiplayer Help

Hi there,
I would imagine that the game will operate on certain port numbers, so if you're both using ADSL routers you'd need to make sure this port is open and accepting connections or it'll appear as closed, which seems to be what you're seeing.
I've had a look online and I'm afraid I can't find any sites advising which ports are used, however if you can do this: http://www.rage3d.com/board/archive/index.php?t-33781824.html when the game is running you can find out Smiley
Then it's just a matter of making sure both you and your friend have the relevant port(s) forwarded on your router and it should work.
Hope that helps.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Welcome to the forum MeterMaid Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MeterMaid

Hi Strat - Thank you for the welcome, I'm pleased to be part of the Plusnet community.
Quote from: Matt
Hi there,
I would imagine that the game will operate on certain port numbers, so if you're both using ADSL routers you'd need to make sure this port is open and accepting connections or it'll appear as closed, which seems to be what you're seeing.
I've had a look online and I'm afraid I can't find any sites advising which ports are used, however if you can do this: http://www.rage3d.com/board/archive/index.php?t-33781824.html when the game is running you can find out Smiley
Then it's just a matter of making sure both you and your friend have the relevant port(s) forwarded on your router and it should work.
Hope that helps.

Hello Matt and many thanx for your swift reply.
I have followed your link and ran the command as described and created the .txt file.
There are 4 entries regarding FA-18 and I have copied them below:-
[FA-18 Op Desert Storm Flight.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:5357          0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
  UDP    0.0.0.0:3702          *:*                   
  FDResPub
  UDP    0.0.0.0:54526          *:*
  UDP    192.168.1.65:16163    *:*
I have had a look at the port forwarding page on the website but can't understand what it's all about or what to put where I'm affraid.  Roll_eyes
Could I ask you to be an absolute treasure and sort out the router for me from your end please. If that's not possible, could you post a "For Dummies" guide for me describing what numbers from the above to put where please.
My router is a Thomson TG 585 v8
I'm sorry to be such a pain and i know it's a bit of a liberty but I'd be very grateful if you could sort it out for me.
My friend whom I am trying to connect to has a Virgin Media cable modem and when he ran netstat his port numbers were different to mine - but am I right in thinking they should be?
Once again thank you for your help and I look forward to your reply. MeterMaid  Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately it's not that easy. Going by what you've pasted above it looks like three of the IP addresses it's listening on have 0 values (which won't work) and the fourth is the IP for your computer on your internal network... unfortunately this won't work either, as your friend isn't connected to your internal network.
There might be ways to get it working by setting up a VPN or similar (which would make it seem to the game that you're on the same network rather than the internet) but I'm afraid that's not really something I'd be able to help with I'm afraid. I suspect that would be an easier option than trying to make the game listen on an external IP address.
MeterMaid

Hi Matt.
OK, it looks like we've had it then as far as the internet is concerned anyway.  Sad
I'm not giving up though,  Cool so I'll read up and try and learn as much as I can about a VPN and go down that route.
Thank you again for your help and quick replies and I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I'm glad I joined the community and this is just the sort of help folks need, even if you don't get a result first time.
Keep up the good work.
MeterMaid
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It looks like you might need to sign up an account to get this, but I know several of my friends have used Hamachi and said it works well - its home page is https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/
Never actually set it up myself but it could be well worth a look, and at least it's somewhere to start. I hope it helps Smiley
StuartUK35
Grafter

if the router supports it, add your machine as the DMZ.....
it means anything hitting the router comes to your machine.....
Plus side = u you play your game (you become host, your friends client will see when you give your WAN IP)
Down side = everything else (traffic wise) gets forwarded to your machine, so can give you problems if theres lots of baddies in cyberspace!! Cheesy Cheesy
I still play 'TA' which is like , erm, old! and supports TCP, but despite knowing the ports it used, i still had all traffic forwarded to my machine..... bugs galore!!! Cheesy Cheesy