Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duke Nukem Forever

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Duke Nukem Forever

So anybody playing it yet? Been YEARS in coming, I loved the old DN ones. Tongue
23 REPLIES 23
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Duke Nukem Forever

The only review I read was pretty negative - so I won't be buying it yet
scootie
Grafter

not bought it due to negative feedback, seems like they have just added lots of eye candy (not the polished graphics type) and expect all the kids to get a copy on that grounds. we all know the pegi system don't stop kids getting what they want
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I have It HB And I am loving every minute of It, The graphics are not bad and the game play Is fun, My only complaint Is the long long long loading times, Get It when It drops In price mate cos by the sounds of It It will drop In price soon, Still I am chuffed with mine, Its like Marmite you either love It or hate It.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Started playing it the other day. Am probably about ninety minutes or so into it. Not overly impressed, but it is reasonably fun. Like Steve says, the frequent (and lengthy) loading times are a royal PITA and somewhat interrupt the flow of things.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Ouch 14 years in development and its likened to Marmite, another lemming?
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
SpencerUk
Grafter

Well the PR firm has been ditched because the game didn't get decent reviews.
It's one of those games where you either love it or hate it..I'm on the latter xD
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Tried it the other day, Not impressed with it really. POOR graphics, LONG load times (even from HDD) and it seems move 100 yrds fight some battles, move another 100 repeat then fight a boss. Not what you would call exciting game play, fighting bosses seems to be - chuck everything at it, hide find more ammo, repeat until it is down.  Huh Sad
Don't think I would buy it even at £5  Cheesy and defo not at £40 Crazy
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I want it just because its Duke, but reading the above seems I should wait a while until price drops or I find a second hand copy.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

who is going to enjoy DNF? Honestly, I can think of aspects in the game for almost everybody. People who like blowing things into bloody chunks. People who like adult humour. People who like platforming, driving, physics puzzles, boobs. So why is it that every single review I have read seems to be negative? The best answer that I can come up with is that people who write reviews seem determined to hate it, and come up with the silliest reasons to do so. The graphics aren’t good. Sure they are. Maybe not bleeding edge, but still pretty damn good. There aren’t iron sights. That doesn’t make a bad game, and the reticle is generally assumed to have the characters shoot from the hip- and can you picture Duke Nukem shooting from anything but the hip? It has recharging health. Yes it does, but it isn’t a health bar, it’s Duke’s ego going down, but after a moment not being fired upon, he feels better about himself, realising that “Hey, I’m Duke Nukem!”
If you are determined to not like this game, you won’t like it. If you have decided that no matter what happens, you’ll love it, then you’ll love it. But I think that if you go into it with an open mind, you’ll enjoy it. There is a free demo available, but sadly the level choices available to play through in the demo aren’t the greatest. They’ll give you a taste of the game, but not a great one. If you are looking to once again kick ass and chew bubblegum, revel in a character who isn’t afraid to wade in and beat enemies to death with his fists, if you are looking for a game where the protagonist isn’t afraid of expressing his politically incorrect opinions, and where the protagonist doesn’t have some kind of tragic past to dwell on throughout the game, then Duke Nukem Forever is for you. If you are offended by sexist jokes, naughty language, the naked female body, smoking, drinking, cheezy one liners, or gore of any kind, then Duke Nukem Forever probably isn’t for you (“Please, won’t SOMEBODY think of the CHILDREN” ). And in my opinion, the best way to play this game is to smoke a big fat cigar while doing so. I did, and I loved every second of it.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Like bob im only had about 90 mins playtime of The King...
Love it Smiley love the little jibes at several other FPS' (You need a red keycard =  ;D)
bought it on steam, with 10% off for pre-purchase... Happy with what i've paid for it tbh.
What kit are you guys running it on? i cant say ive really noticed any lengthy loading times  Huh
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I'm playing mines on the 360 ( When I can grab an hour or so ) Load times are a couple minutes( Or that's how It feels ) I like the game though so wont trade mines In like other gamers on xbox.com, Moaning about the graphics the lot so they are, I am happy with It.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Aha! i hadnt thought of that.
I tend to get irritated by both my consoles (PS3 + xbox) for their crappy loading times.
PC FTW
PC is running an intel 920, 12gb ram and a 570 GTX (with 1.2gb onboard) on win7 x64.
I dont understand the grumbles with the graphics? it reminds me of kinda Borderlands... and i *LOVE* that game! Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Some people think the graphics look dated on the 360 but they look fine to me, The game play Is fun, I Installed the game to the Hard drive but It never really Improved the loading times, I would Imagine the game Is much better on the PC, Yeah I liked the style of borderlands, Not much In the way of games when It comes to cell shading etc which makes It that wee bit even more special.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I love Marmite but I'll wait for MW3 and/or Battlefield 3.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine