cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does something happen to the PlusNet service at midnight?

Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

Does something happen to the PlusNet service at midnight?

I was just wondering, because at midnight my 360 always gets disconnected from messenger. I can still chat etc. but other friends with 360's don't experience this so I was wondering if it was to do with Plus Net in some way, or maybe the messenger service in general.
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Does something happen to the PlusNet service at midnight?

Hi there,
It's a known MS bug with Netgear Routers I believe.
Does that sound right?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Jameseh
It's a known MS bug with Netgear Routers I believe.

Sounds more like a feature.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

zubel
Community Veteran

Alternatively, midnight is when 'peak time' ends, and lots of people have their P2P and download programs firing up at about that time.

This graph shows you the 'packet loss' due to traffic shaping on all the centrals, which shows you a fairly sharp increase at midnight.  Basically, the initiation of all the various P2P and download sessions creates a short but massive load on the network.
So, it could be a Netgear router, or it could be the 'midnight spike' Smiley
B.
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

Ta Barry,
I do use a Netgear Router so it could very well be that. It occurs bang on midnight and is not an issue for me at all, but I was curious about it. Cheers for the answer  Smiley
James
Grafter

Hi again,
I believe that if you update the frmware, this should fix that problem.
I think, although, not 100% sure that this was a bug in an earlier version of firmware.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If you do, be prepared to roll back to your current firmware just in case. i.e. get the files etc. downloaded to wherever you're driving the update from.
Now I don't know what model you have, personally I have a DG834GT and when I updated the firmware (a while back now) it provided improved options in some areas but dropped others. As a result I had limitations on WEP that caused me problems at times, so I rolled back.
And please no comments about WEP security - I needed it for very good reasons.  Roll_eyes
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

I'm using an DG834GT too. Can't recall what firmware as I'm not a home at the mo but I thought it was up to date. Will check when I get home. I need WEP too for my Nintendo DS to work.