cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Plusnet cap Steam downloads?

c0dec
Grafter

Does Plusnet cap Steam downloads?

Im on Fibre Unlimited with the Pro bolt on and for the past few days I seem to be limited to 3MB/sec downloads on Steam... not slow I know but as I was used to 8-9MB/sec its a noticeable change. My sync and throughput are the same as normal so either Steam is overloaded or Plusnet is throttling it, just wondered which it was.
Cheers,
Dan
6 REPLIES 6
Finguz
Grafter

Re: Does Plusnet cap Steam downloads?

Not being throttled/capped here, also on unlimited fibre.
Incidentally, I could be wrong, but I don't think you are going to see any benefit from the pro add-on with an unlimited fibre connection.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi c0dec,
We don't throttle downloads via Steam, the speeds you receive are likely based on the Steam Servers - I know this from personal experience!
The Pro-add on is unlikely to help in this instance due to the way Traffic Management works on our Unlimited Broadband/Fibre products.
Please let us know if you have any further questions Smiley
romanovski
Dabbler

i'm having the same issue
In the last few weeks Steam downloads have gone from my line rate usually around 1.2 MBps  to somwhere around 100-200 KBps
I know there's a Steam Sale on which often affects these things, but no matter what time of day i try downloading, i can't get above 200KBps. If i try downloading a file from a site (eg AMD drivers) it downloads at my line rate as expected. I tried changing my regional download server to one in Germany, and although i'm able to occassionally spike up to 500-6--KBps, my average is still woefully low.
Are plusnet sure they're not doing anything to Steam downloads? Anyone else having a problem?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I started two downloads on the 3rd Dec and they came down at full speed
romanovski
Dabbler

Seems the issue was something to do with my WiFi.. moved the PC over to a wired (homeplug) connection and now i'm back to full speed.
It's odd, because I was able to download at full line rate from other sources (eg Nvidia drivers, Utorrent)
romanovski
Dabbler

Just for posterity, in case anyone else comes across this post... i figured out what the issue was.
Once I realised it was my WiFi causing the problem, i digged into it a little more and found that WMM - wireless multi media was enabled (I don't remember enabling it)
This is a set of QoS policies which prioritise traffic. I disabled it and put my PC back on wifi, and Steam started downloading at line rate again. Obviously WMM has something against Steam.
On my Dlink router, it's under :
Advanced->QoS->Wireless QoS setup->WMM (enable/disable)