cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodgy gaming experience, why?

God
Grafter

Dodgy gaming experience, why?

I seem to be getting repeated dodgy gaming experiences while playing medal of honour (X-Box). It’s really quite frustrating to have your soldier running on the spot or moving forward and then moving back like he is on a rubber bungee rope, my soldier seems to spend some periods ape-ing Brucie at the start of strictly rather than behaving like a well-honed super soldier.
To be clear this is by no means a permanent problem, just enough to be really annoying!
I thought that gaming traffic was meant to be high priority on plusnet, so what is going on, how can I fix these rubbish episodes where you end up having to turn off the X-Box and try again later?
11 REPLIES 11
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Dodgy gaming experience, why?

What product type are you on and is the problem more prevalent at certain times of the day e.g. during the evening?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

God
Grafter

Hi Bob
I am on a legacy product BBYW2 (15GB).
It appears totally random, it just behaves badly for 10-15 minutes and then it's ok. It is mostly at the start of a session (in the first half hour) but it can kick in later. I wondered if if takes a while to be picked up as priority traffic?
Regards
Peter
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: God
I wondered if if takes a while to be picked up as priority traffic?

It shouldn't do. Problem is it's not particularly easy to packet capture Xbox traffic without using Internet connection sharing or similar. I'll see if I can temporarily change your profile when I'm back in the office tomorrow. That should give us an idea as to whether or not it's our traffic management that's causing the problem. Do you have problems with any other games or is it just MoH?
Is your connection wired or wireless?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

God
Grafter

I haven't noticed problems with other games, I will keep a log of when it happens and for how long, maybe that along with what you have suggested will throw some light on the issue.
Cheers
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you can get hold of a old hub (not a switch) that echos all the traffic to all ports you can use wireshark on a PC to watch the traffic (assuming the Xbox is connected wired).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I haven't noticed problems with other games, I will keep a log of when it happens and for how long, maybe that along with what you have suggested will throw some light on the issue.

OK, I've put you on an elevated traffic management profile until your next billing date so it will be interesting to see whether or not there's a recurrence of the problem between now and November 3rd. You didn't mention whether or not the connection from the Xbox to the router is wired or wireless?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

God
Grafter

Hi Bob
I am wireless but I honestly don't think that is causeing the problem. It definately seems to be during the first 5-10 minutes of a session, it certainly was yesterday evening. Thanks for changing the profile I will try over the next few days and let you know what happens.
Cheers
Peter
SilentBoBuk
Dabbler

Hi just thought id have a quick read of this post,
major issues on medal of honor via EA so may not be a issue with your broadband this happens on occasions with pc gamers and is mainly an issue with the ea master server and how its maintained, look on EA website for know issues under xbox which may help you out.
God
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for the suggestion but this is not an EA server issue other players in the same game (and on my exchange) don't have the same problem. I think Bob may have the situation under control.
God
Grafter

The lag is back again. It went away while Bob had me on a premium profile, but now I am back on my normal profile so is the issue. I don't feel inclinded to upgrade just to get a decent gaming experience!
I don't know what other options I have other than to look for another ISP who manages their traffic in a more user friendly way. Bob did say that he might be able to get a copy of MOH and analyse the packets to make sure they get categorised correctly, but to be honest surely the system should be clever enough to recognise xbox traffic without that?
Or does this mean that when COD Black Ops arrives next week I will be playing that fubared as well until someone at plusnet towers buys a copy and nails its packet profile in to the brain of the management servers?
Martha
Grafter

Or does this mean that when COD Black Ops arrives next week I will be playing that fubared as well until someone at plusnet towers buys a copy and nails its packet profile in to the brain of the management servers?

I hope Bob can help you there, God, but as for waiting for Plusnet staff to buy a copy - I think about 70% of us already have it Tongue So, no worries there!
Best of luck Smiley