cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do firewall alerts afffect your ping times?

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Do firewall alerts afffect your ping times?

I was just wondering if it would?
The reason behind this being....
I often use a bittorent client namely Bitcomet and after using it I saw the vast number of attacks logging on my firewall Shocked
After some investigation being a firewall and ports novice I found that the attacks were through my usuall preset Bitcomet port meaning that the firewall was basically just warning me ppl were still knocking from bt but no1 was getting in.
The problem arises whne trying to play multiplayer after using BT, I always get kicked straight away for high pings oe any games I get in are far too laggy to play.
I have looked into giving up my static ip which would in theory stop the connection attempts as I could simply disconnect my router and get a new ip on connection, but unless these hits are affecting my bandwidth there's no reason to cancel it even though I don't need it at the moment.
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Do firewall alerts afffect your ping times?

I don't think they are malicious hits, it's more likely that you haven't forwarded the ports used to your PC, meaning that return traffic from the server you are connected to (bittorrent trackers and game servers in this case) is not being allowed through. If you find out what ports these are using and allow the traffic through you should notice an improvement in your torrent download speeds and should stop getting kicked from the game servers too.
Hope this helps,
Gus
Aspiring Pro

BT and gaming don't mix, as you have noticed your firewall and your router is getting swamped with pings for a period after closing the BT client.  I have a cheapish router and fall foul of the same issue.
So don't start a gaming session until 30-60mins have passed after closing the BT client.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks I was wondering, oprey I have the BT ports forwarded on my router and on my software firewall, the FW log doesn't register hits as long as the BT client is running so I guess its just the FW's way of saying this traffic shouldn't be happening now because BT isn't running.
99% of the hits are through the Bt port so as you suggest its prob not malicious.
I generally play on BF2 and the GRAW series, from what I can make out unless I serve a game the standard just always allow setting should be ok for online gaming.
According to portforward.com my router hasn't enough settings to open all the ports required for BF2 so I just leave it, touch wood I havn't had much bother playing other than after using Bt.
So don't start a gaming session until 30-60mins have passed after closing the BT client.

More Like 24/48 hrs for me, which is a bit of a nuisance as I work away and try and get all my internet activity in one weekend  Smiley
Anyway ty for the input, I think I may give up my static ip anyway purely because its more of a security risk than a benefit at the moment. I'm unsure wether I can get this back if required?
Weird though how emule doesn't have this problem?
Thanks again.