Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dishonored - opinions

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Dishonored - opinions

I just noticed in the Steam Forums (discussing HL3 or lack thereof) a recommendation to get Dishonored
Embarrassingly I had never heard of it so I looked for reviews http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dishonored and I don't think I can remember a game where there is such a disparity in the reviews by users.
Given that I can buy it for £7.99 from cdkeys - is it worth it
16 REPLIES 16
Razer
Grafter

Re: Dishonored - opinions

I saw the following quoted post when you posted it and I thought 'I know he has played Assassin's Creed', but I said nothing. Now this thread.
Quote from: Oldjim
I don't game or use P2P

Jim - ooh you liar. Tongue
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Rephrase - I don't game on line - I do play single player games
Oldjim
Resting Legend

ordered and now loading - a long time to wait  Sad
Razer
Grafter

I'm going to have to check YT later to see if there are any gameplay videos. I like the idea of it, but one can't tell from just that. Let us know how you get on with it, Jim.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have just completed the first section on easy and killing everything in sight is one way and as the difficulty level indicates was very easy
At first attempt trying to sneak without killing is very difficult
Will have another go later starting afresh to see if sneaking is actually a sensible option.
Certainly staying hidden is much more difficult than in Far Cry  or Crysis as there doesn't seem to be a distance related drop off to being spotted
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Now well into it and finding it easier to limit killings now that I understand how the game engine works
Seems a good game but I am still not sure about the replayability although but I will certainly try it on the hardest setting next
Razer
Grafter

I haven't even had a chance to look for some gameplay vids. Gonna take a quick gander shortly, however.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Oldjim
I don't game on line

You don't know what you are missing Jim. There's a whole world of embarrassing game play out there waiting for you.
I know, I'm embarrassed most days.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Razer
Grafter

^I embarrass myself daily in online play!
---
I just realised that I already have a bookmark from some time ago waiting for me to view a playthrough of this game on youtube. lol. Having a look at the first one, not the kind of game I can play (first person). I didn't realise and thought it was a third person and would be something like AC. Anyway, just the short bit I've seen it looks good and I'm sure I'd really enjoy watching the whole thing. The opening part reminds me very much of Blood Omen 2, just for the style/decor of the city, guards and some parts of the buildings. Love the sound of the voicework and one of them sounds just like the main Abstergo guy from AC (can't remember his name).
EDIT:
How are you getting on with the game, Jim. I watched the first 7 videos of a playthrough on YT last night. Really enjoyable and by what the guy was saying, you can play it in all different ways/order, so I should imagine it has lots of replayability. Still reminding me very much of Blood Omen2 with some of the character's abilities. Especially the jump thing.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I like first person games and hate third person but that is just my preference
First I played it through on easy not killing too many and finished it under low chaos - ending one
Next I did it again on the hardest setting low chaos killing as few as possible - ending one and really not much more difficult
Then I played again on the hardest setting killing everything in sight which was actually a lot easier with the rune for vaporising bodies when stealth killed but then the last part was considerably more difficult with a lot more guards and keeping Emily alive (that wasn't actually too difficult but I did use the stop time rune for that) in ending 2 high chaos
I suspect that I won't be playing it again but I will get the extras when the prices drop and play those
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Razer - don't suppose it was the Yogscast Sips playthrough was it? I watched a few of those, he's a funny guy. Game looks alright, and must admit I'm tempted given it's £8 - though I'll probably end up waiting until it's in a steam sale (Christmas probably :D)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I enjoyed playing through Dishonored. IMHO which is shared by a few of my friends that have played through it it's a slow starter but does get more engaging as you play through.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Razer
Grafter

No, Matt. It was theRadBrad's playthrough. Love to watch his stuff, he just makes me laugh when he screams like a girl with 'scary' things. He's such a wuss I find it really funny. I'll have to check out this Yogscast, it seems. Anyway I watched the full playthrough, and of the DLC, which was really interesting to see part of the story from another side and I thoroughly enjoyed all of it. I was even tempted to buy it myself, even though I know I couldn't play it. Grin I found it, as Adam mentions, really engaging.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

tbh the thing I liked best about the game was the theme song, as jim says the game doesn't take to long and its not particularly difficult even on the hardest difficulty setting, although it is kinda fun and i'll probably give it a few more goes in the future as I get bored easily....
personally I prefer campaign based games with online co-op options in pve mode, I spent to many years playing mmo games and they all revolve around who can cheat the best or who has the biggest wallet, much better to take the pvp side of things away and take away the e-peen reason for using cheats.

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you