Did you mean: 

Crysis

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Crysis

Anyone played the demo yet?
I completed it over the weekend and was pretty impressed. Had mucho fun shooting down trees! Looking forward to this one.
Whilst I had to tone down some of the graphical settings (yep, even with an 8800GTX!!), at high detail the game looks absolutely stunning.
Check out the comparison between Crysis and real-life here and you'll see what I mean! Shocked

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

29 REPLIES 29
James
Grafter

Re: Crysis

Wow.  That's impressive.
Yadda
Grafter

If your 8800GTX struggles at full settings then I'm guessing that it would melt my poor old 'pooter! (overclocked 6800GT and Pentium M730 at 2.6GHz).  Grin
It looks like Crysis will be the game to lure many gamers into upgrading to a Geforce 9800 card when they are released later this year. It does look amazing though!
Meh, I'll stick to the last-gen games for now and upgrade to PCIE/Quad-core/DDR2/Geforce 8800/Vista when the prices settle and a few more really good DX10 games are released.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm actually nervous about installing this on my  PC, I really don't think it will cope too well. Poor old AMD 3200+, 2GB DDR RAM and a 512 x1650 Radeon Pro AGP card.
I'm anticipating some blue smoke from the case  Undecided
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
cpdixon
Dabbler

WHOA!!
I did not actually know what was real life and what was the game!!
Until I looked at the top of the pics  Undecided
May have to purchase this... or maybe COD4?
Yadda
Grafter

I can't believe it - they finally solved the problem of leaves and other foliage "slicing through you" as you walk through them, they now get visibly pushed aside as you pass!  Shocked  (Is this the same for the smaller trees & branches that you've shot down? Can larger trunks actually block your path?)
(sorry, but the leaves issue has bothered me for some time.)  Grin
Chris, let us know how you get on if you decide to try it.
cpdixon
Dabbler

I'll be setting this to download this evening  Smiley ready to play tomoz morning.
Got a similar rig to Bob so looking forward to a game that actually stresses my comp out.
I agree the foliage has been a pet hate for some time in games.
Shall let you know the verdict soon  Tongue
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Found it best to play on a 10*7 screen and have everything maxed, normally I use my LCD's native for all games at 12*10 but found it chugged along then.  But it Looks like a CGI film in realtime on very high settings.
2 Minor gripes I have with it is theres no heavy pistol and no sniper rifle in the demo,  other than that I can't wait until the 15th next month and just hope it's not pushed back.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
fransorci
Grafter

I'm building a new PC over the next few weeks just to cope with this, and also Counter strike Source Tongue
Current rig gets about 90fps in Source - not good enough!
Looks sooooo good!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It run's on my PC and is an awesome game \o/
Low spec runs perfectly smoothly (that's low on EVERYTHING)
Medium is playable but jerky
High just is pointless lol
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Yadda
Grafter

That good to hear, Chris. In that case I'll give it a try too.
For those of us using a Nvidia graphics card, Nvidia have released a new driver optimised for the Crysis demo - Forceware 169.02 WHQL.
XP 32 bit version: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1773
XP 64 bit version: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1774
Vista 32 bit version: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1772
Vista 64 bit version: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1771
Bob, are you using one of these drivers? If not, it may help your 8800GTX run the game better at higher settings.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Okay. So I download this to see what all the fuss is about. It's on low settings (sob) but working nicely, still a damn fine looking game. Playing quite happily, pootling along the beach in a stolen jeep tastefully decorated with a dead gunner, and there's another one in my path. Mine's a little battered now, so I reckon OK, I'll shoot that gunner too, and then swap jeeps. Job done.
Only this jeep is facing the wrong way. No bother, a quick three point turn and I'll be on my way to save the beleaguered lads at the landing site (possibly ask some questions about a botched up parachute packing, too). Except that there's a tree behind me.
In any other game? Peachy. A thud, and the jeep jumps a bit and lands facing the right direction.
But noooooooooooo. Not Crysis. We've done physics don'tcherknow. These trees break when stuff hits them. And then fall.
Onto jeeps.
Which explode.
Best video game death ever. I laughed like a drain.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Bob, are you using one of these drivers? If not, it may help your 8800GTX run the game better at higher settings.

No, I was running 169.01, will try the new drivers though.
The settings that seem to work best for me are as follows:
Video mode: 1280x1024
Anti-aliasing quality: x4
Texture quality: High
Objects quality: Very high
Shadows quality: Medium
Physics quality: Very high
Shaders quality: High
Volumetric effects quality: Medium
Game effects quality: Medium
Particles quality: Medium
Water quality: Very high
Sound quality: High
This is what it looks like (don't forget to zoom in if the image displays in a reduced format).
Ooh, how tempting is it to shoot that tree in front of me? Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Yadda
Grafter

Just completed the demo, very impressive it is too. It's worth getting shot and greanaded just to experience the amazing blur/blood/broken wind-screen/getting-knocked-about effects! The depth of field effect is nice too, when using a weapon's sights everything is slightly blurred except for  exactly where you're aiming. The different suit functions add well to the game and it looks a lot better than the red hawaiian shirt in Far Cry.  Smiley
I enjoyed chopping trees down too, and was impressed when I was able to free my stranded Hummer by jumping out and shooting the tree-trunk (previously felled by me) it was it beached on.
I was susprised how well it ran on my system. I haven't really played with the settings much but it was very playable (although not "perfect") with texture quality, objects quality, shaders quality, volumetric effects and water quality set to "medium", the other settings on "low", at 1024*768 with no AA. Here's a screen shot: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7871/crysisxw3.jpg
(My system: Intel M730 @2.6Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, Geforce 6800GT @ 400/1.1)
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Bob
-snip-
This is what it looks like (don't forget to zoom in if the image displays in a reduced format).
Ooh, how tempting is it to shoot that tree in front of me? Wink

3.8MB BMP warning, jpeg it Smiley
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November