cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crysis Ping Issues

Fox

Crysis Ping Issues

Hi guys,
Hope you can help. I play Crysis online but am having a big issue with pings and I wondered if anyone had any ideas.
Basically, I can play any game I wish, and my pings are fine - 30-60ms. No problems.
However, with Crysis, there are only a handful of servers where I can get an acceptable ping. The vast majority of servers I cannot - my ping is 300-600 and the game is unplayable.
Curiously, if I alt+tab out of the game and ping the server IP using Windows, my ping is great - 30ish. It's only in-game that the ping is terrible.
Oddly, if I use an EA UK Server, its fine, but the EA UK Killercreation servers, among others, are not.
None of my other games are affected.
Any suggestions? I have the latest drivers for all my hardware.
5 REPLIES 5
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Crysis Ping Issues

Probably poor routing to the servers, plus you will see alot of Home servers that shouldn't be hosting on dsl/cable which should be rented from a server farm.
So get a pingtracer tool and check where its slow
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
zubel
Community Veteran

Sounds like the traffic management isn't identifying the traffic properly.
You should run a wireshark trace  (video)
Once you have the capture file, go to the Help Assistant, raise a ticket and include the trace.  I'm sure that Dave 'The Guru' Tomlinson will be able to pick it up and figure out the problem.
B.
James
Grafter

Barry,
Not sure if that's the case.
Fox says that if he uses EA UK Server it's fine.  Sounds like routing more than traffic management.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Fox
Curiously, if I alt+tab out of the game and ping the server IP using Windows, my ping is great - 30ish. It's only in-game that the ping is terrible.

That was the part that made me think Traffic Management, although admittedly a more detailed pingplotter or pathping would highlight whether this is the case.
Unless ICMP traffic is routed differently to the TCP traffic  Roll_eyes
My line of thinking was that the traffic management may only be picking up a partial match on the Crysis signature.
However, it may be routing, so grabbing a copy of pingplotter or pathping would identify that too  Grin
B.
Not applicable

Its not really a useful indication of http either.
ICMP packets are classified as operating at the Internet layer of the TCP/IP Suite, whereas HTTP operate at the Application (top) layer.
Converting packets through the layers has to be completed at each side of the transmission.
There is just one layer of conversion to be done to convert the ICMP packets from physical signals into packets that are identifiable by your computer.
There are a further two layers of conversion at each end of the connection to get the http traffic into a format understandable by the applications using the connection.
The coding of the applications, and the capabilities of the hardware in use, as well as the characteristics of the physical connections all play a part in the efficiency of the connection.
In simple terms;
PING can tell you that the packets being sent/received along your connection are *not* travelling as fast as you'd like.
The inverse is also true:
PING can *not* tell you that the packets being sent/received along your connection are travelling as fast as you'd like.
Handy for troubleshooting connectivity issues, but not nearly as handy as many gamers think though,.