cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crippled Xbox Live speeds?

mootzilla

Crippled Xbox Live speeds?

I don't know if this is just happening on my end, but pretty much everything on Xbox live is going painfully slow, even if I'm just browsing the marketplace. I've been waiting about 30 minutes now for a steaming video to load, only for it to stop playing 30 seconds in to start loading it again.
Not long ago I used to be able to download from Xbox Live fairly fast, so is there more traffic throttling going on now then there used to be? It's kind of annoying since I paid for a years subscription and I'm getting terrible download speeds to show for it.
10 REPLIES 10
scootie
Grafter

Re: Crippled Xbox Live speeds?

releted to the same problem as ps3 downloads iam affarid http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73529.0.html http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,71626.0.html
i did a wireshark capture awhile go why downloading cod4 map pack and streaming a video and both came back as 0x60 http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,72745.0.html
so the problem of the streaming videos on XBL is in my view due to being in same proity as the download server queue.
all thoe i find that some times the older streaming videos buffer up quicker than newly relesed ones but not much of a diffrence so i would say its down to the download server queue.
they lit more bandwidth to combat and made some changes to the traffic shapping on this queue and the problem the next day seemed to have bein fixed as i buffred a video as normal at peak times as i would after midnight.
but last night i had same problem with the new question video on the inside xbox menu but reading the forum i find its most likely due to all the office workers using the vpn/remote to access the work computer at home due to them not being made of stern stuff and staying at home due to a light sprinkle of snow Grin
MAYBE PLUSNET NEED TO SPERATE THE STREAMING SIDE OF XBL AND PUT IT IN THE SAME QUEUE AS BBC IPLAYER
mootzilla

I suppose that also explains why my downloads from iTunes were going so slowly, then.
But still, if "download servers" are supposed to be capped at 1mb, then why was I getting downloads at sub-dialup speeds?
James
Grafter

Hi there,
A lot of it is related to other things going on at the same time.
If you have a look at Dave's blog which talks about the increase in VPN and Gold traffic we've seen across our network as a result of the adverse weather conditions that this country simply cannot cope with.  Basically, that means that as more and more traffic goes into the gold queue, it squeezes other forms of traffic, hence why your XBL downloads were slower than usual.
Once people actually start going back to work like they should, then traffic speeds on "download servers" should be improved Smiley
scootie
Grafter

i understand the the fix PN put in place to sort this problem and was the hand of god that carpeted the country in snow resulting in the extra bandwidth that was added being eatin up by greedy office workers  Lips_are_sealed but this still dose not answer what i have bein asking the past few weeks.
why is XBL streaming videos treated with such low prioity. during peak times i cant even get the dam things to load.
i can understand that the game demos ect have to be kept in this queue due to the over 1gb size of some of these demos but come on streaming video more like hover dam video coz the stream just anit flowing baby.
please PN staff answer  the prouduct idea and surrgestion theard i posted last night http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73571.0.html.
James
Grafter

Dog of Asboness,
I apologise for not having answered earlier - I had actually raised your query a few hours ago.
The difficulty with doing that is the ability to separate streaming and downloads apart.  It's being considered though.
When the network is behavingg itself and things are as we would like, your XBL streaming should work perfectly well, even during peak times of the day.
scootie
Grafter

i agree with you there that all worked fine around a month ago now. it would just be nice to be able to watch the videos thoe even when the network is in abit of a mess.
thanks jameseh for passing the surrgestion on to the big cheese in charge of these sorts of decssions Smiley
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
We lit another segment today to go some way to alleviating these issues, as well as tweaking the network slightly to try and improve things in peak times.
We are working on this issue, and would like to know if the situation has improved at all?
Thanks for the feedback, both given and anticipated. Smiley
scootie
Grafter

nice one yet another 155mb whats that now 415mb added recently? your really trying to knock the network back into shape.
i will see what the streaming is like on XBL now 9pm-10pm and tomoro abit earlyer in the peak time zone and report back.
cheers for all the hard work PN guys an girls. this is why your my numba 1 isp
bobboulby
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
We are working on this issue, and would like to know if the situation has improved at all?

I've just posted in the PS3 thread. 100+ kbps on PSN at 22:00 this evening  Cheesy
Bob
scootie
Grafter

XBL streaming vids are tip top when i tried them at 9.30pm Smiley tested them all that was on the inside xbox and only one took some time to buffer but 5 out of 6 would make it microsoft being the problem of that one.
iam on the nice looking packet drop graph gateway has any seein this great improvment on the download servers on the other gateways?
i ask as looking at the graphs now they have gone abit mad tonight all but pcl-ag03 which i have bein on since it was put online.