cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counter Strike - crazy pings

topcat89

Counter Strike - crazy pings

Hi,
I had high pings in the past and went ahead and paid for the priority connection which sorted it for a short while, i since stopped playing for a few months and since attempting to return the pings have been ridiculous in the evenings, anything between 150-800ms and rarely constant...spiking by 200 without so much as an apology.
Router set to game mode hasn't helped, no firewall problems. Friend of mine who I play with lives 2 miles from me with the exact same issue at the same time and is also on priority gaming etc.
Issue seems to be with games alone as speedtest.net tells me my ping is 50-60.
Please help me Sad
21 REPLIES 21
topcat89

Re: Counter Strike - crazy pings

Actually I tried a different speed test site - pingtest.net and that reports 360ms so it might not be strictly gaming related.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You can't trust the ping from test sites, very few of them show correct ping.
Either from a Dos window ping the server IP you regularly join, note that is the external ping to that server not what you would actually get in game.  You need to add on 10-20ms on average to the result.  So startbar/run type CMD, in the window that opens type ping the server IP
Or enable the in game latency graph
Then if you see a higher than normal ping , you can then run a ping trace to the IP address of the server and find out where it is slowing down.  Again from startbar/run, this time type pathping the server IP then let it run and see the results in 4 mins
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
topcat89

I have the latency graph enabled and that is where I am monitoring my ping and seeing it remaining unplayably high with regular spikes by about 200 in either direction.
It occasionaly stabilises at around 60 which is normal for where I live but this tends to be around midnight and later, however at time of posting (2am) it is spiking from 600-1500ms. This is with the ping priositisation add-on enabled. I don't know what to do  Sad
I tried the cmd commands but was given error messages saying unable to ping to the ip provided and the pathping command said it was unable to resolve to the provided ip or something.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Pathping, that can be your DNS servers failing to resolve the IP address, best to use PN's and another on your PC.
8.8.4.4 and 208.67.220.220 can help so if one fails another will find it
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
topcat89

Yeah I don't really know what any of that means, sorry i'm no expert. Am i doing the right thing posting here or what should I do? Cos i've not seen any plusnet staff offering any help so far...
ghos7em1
Grafter

i dont think its your connection m8 for the past week my connection is bad for gaming think plusnet is having problems and not telling us.my ping gone from 11 to 26 and download speed getting lower by the day Angry
bolt786
Dabbler

I can vouch for this, everything was hunky dory up until about a week ago, before then, I used to get some lag on and off, but only for short periods, now it's constant, FIFA 14 FUT has become a nightmare and is unplayable online. This is definitely a BT/Plusnet problem as friends who are with Sky and Virgin have had no issues with FIFA over the last week, except for the scheduled maintenance.
topcat89

How dare you come into my thread and complain about 26 ping  Roll_eyes
I've found that its not only counter strike i have the issue with as ive been attempting to play FIFA 14 Ultimate Team which has been absolutely unplayable if it even lets me play at all.
Clearly a plusnet issue as my friend who lives very close is on the same package and has the same problem at the exact same time. We've been on the phone to eachother watching our pings and theyre practically synchronised to the second.
What do we do lads? no sign of plusnet staff...
bolt786
Dabbler

I don't think Plusnet are able to and neither are they willing to investigate these latency issues, as being owned by BT, they share the same infrastructure, and if you check the BT support forums, the staff have basically washed their hands off the issue, and don't see any problem at BT's end, so that logically only leaves one option, which I will be taking, once my contract is up.
I also concur FIFA ultimate team has been shocking, I used to be able to wind down after work, but now I'm only getting more and more stressed, as have been relegated multiple times, due to the lag/latency/input delay etc. I find the level of customer support, and lack of acknowledgement from Plusnet to be absolutely shocking, as this is clearly not an isolated issue.
ghos7em1
Grafter

you might think my pings are good but im on fibre m8 i had 26 on adsl lol.gaming on adsl i changed mtu to 1400 it helped with lag,on fibre that trick dont work Sad
ghos7em1
Grafter

if you want to change mtu>>npr.me.uk/telnet.html think ur default mtu is 1500 you will get fragmented packets.try 1400.its worth a try m8 just test it for your console first if it works then change mtu on ur pc.smaller packets better ping Smiley
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: bolt786
I don't think Plusnet are able to and neither are they willing to investigate these latency issues, as being owned by BT, they share the same infrastructure, and if you check the BT support forums, the staff have basically washed their hands off the issue, and don't see any problem at BT's end, so that logically only leaves one option, which I will be taking, once my contract is up.

I think you'll find the Plusnet OPs guys spent a lot of time trying to find the cause of the issues - they don't deny people are seeing latency issues.
The issue is that they've not been able to replicate the problem themselves and narrow down the source of the problem. Also, not all Plusnet customers have this issue with those games.
You're adamant that the cause of the problems is Level 3, but there is no evidence of this (the traceroutes you've posted look fine). Sky's main peer is also Level 3 - so it's unlikely to be a Level 3 issue if Sky customers are unaffected, but Plusnet customers are affected.
bhtld

Its ridiculous. Come home from work at 6pm and cant play any games at all. Even the browsing speed hits the floor. Im genuinely better off browsing with my phone on 3G. Its a disgrace that you pay an extra £5/month for a priority connection to make sure you have a low ping at all times and im stuck with 400-1000ms. Cant even make a skype call without getting disconnections.
bhtld

This is starting to boil my piss now. Every single day for months. 6:30/7pm comes along and bam. Had to wait till 1am last night just to have a wee game of counter strike. This is my ping at this moment against 20 odd hosts.