cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Steam

CJV
Dabbler

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Steam

I've been having countless issues with the 2 ever since joining Plusnet among other issues that seem to be sorted now. I have this really random problem where I simply cannot connect to any server at all and it's not a consistent problem as it just happens randomly every day at no specific time or when certain people are online at home. The other issue is that I cannot load pages within Steam randomly as well (I know currently theres problems on their end with the community servers and inventory). I'm not sure if its the router causing this or the connection.
I've already portforwarded everything I need for the games I play, I've also tried turning the firewall off on the router and using the "Game Mode" but nothing seems to make it work. Basically it works for a few hours then doesn't work for say 20mins to an hour and then works again. Another issue is the router seems to randomly decide when my brothers connection to Xbox Live works, I'll chuck him into DMZ and it works then a few days later it doesn't so I take him out of it and it works again which makes no sense at all. And yes my pc and his xbox both have static IP's.
I do have a spare DSL-2740R that I attempted to setup but it failed to work, it also didn't work when I was on O2 due to the chipset. I used to have the TG582n connected to my N66U for the first week or so which worked fine until the TG again decided randomly when the connection to the N66U would work (connection didnt drop but the speeds decided to take a plummet and again connection to xboxlive and csgo servers failed) so I removed it from the setup and now directly connected to the TG582n which worked for say a day before the issues above occured.
Anyone else experienced this or have any fix for this? Or shall I reattempt to use the TG582n  as a modem and the N66U as the router again? Possibly a routing issue with Plusnet?
Any help would be appreciated Smiley
8 REPLIES 8
CJV
Dabbler

Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Steam

thought id bump this
Just today I've started getting 300ms-2000ms spikes that just destroy all online gaming... right now im sat with 300ms ping ingame but 40ms on teamspeak, is this a known routing issue with plusnet to anything valve related? my brother is also claiming he is lagging pretty bad on his xbox 😐 getting absolutely fed up with this now
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hey, sorry we've missed your post.
It's it only steam gaming that's affected?  Or are you seeing any other issues?  Disconnections, slow browsing, failed pages etc.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

As Kelly has mentioned, apologies for missing this thread.
I'm interested in finding out if your speeds have been impacted at all? Or if you're having any other issues using the internet generally too?
CJV
Dabbler

Sorry for the late reply, the connection seems to be fine now but was horrendous during the week of that post but as I said everythings fine now. I have changed to a different router (last tuesday) and stopped using the plusnet one which was causing quite a few issues with staying connected and I've had no issues since (been keeping an eye on everything daily to make sure). It was to pretty much all Valve related games on Steam, Xbox Live and occasionally on WoW.
However I've just noticed this:

What would be causing this as my brother claims he isnt downloading or anything and neither am I
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Woah!  That does not look healthy!  I'll make sure one of the DC guys has a look at this tomorrow
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
CJV
Dabbler

Just did a few tests and my IP Profile seems to have dropped from 10.5 to 9mbps and my upload speed has dropped from ~1mbps to 0.4 😕 probably caused by whatever is going on with my line atm Sad Kind of frustrating as I've only had 1 week since joining where my connection has been fine and that was last week 😐
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi CJV,
I've just taken a look over your line and was quite surprised to see that everything looks to be fine, although the TBB graph seems to disagree!
There's a lot of packet loss here but it seems to stop for approximately an hour between 4pm-5pm - can you think of anything that gets turned on/off at this time? I'm thinking potentially electrical interference.
CJV
Dabbler

Theres nothing that was different between that period of time or between 4am-4pm that day which is why im confused, it seems the line went normal again around 7am till about 8am before dropping at around 10 this morning. My speeds seemed to have returned to normal at the moment, really confused about yesterday's connection. I'll keep my eye on it and report back if it kicks in again and try and see if it happens when certain things are turned on/off hopefully it was a one off thing