Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could someone reccomend me a good compatible router ^_^

Toffeegerbil
Dabbler

Could someone reccomend me a good compatible router ^_^

Hi. ^_^
Toffeegerbil here, I have had no luck with my total war thingy so far and after about 6 months of constant attempts to fix my connectivity issues I can finally believe that the problem is indeed the router itself. 
At the moment I am using a Thomson TG585v7 that came with plusnet. It has an inbuilt firewall that cannot be turned off, although i doubt that was the problem anyway.
If anyone could link me a good router that presents few, if any, problems for an avid gamer I would really appreciate it >_>.
Thanks ^_<
16 REPLIES 16
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Could someone reccomend me a good compatible router ^_^

You'd probably be fine with any Netgear and I have a Billion which has been great for gaming on my PS3
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I don't have any problems with my unlocked 2Wire 2700HGV, you can normally pick them up off eBay for relatively little. I'm not 100% sure but I think you can turn the 585v7 firewall off by telnetting to the router and using the CLI interface.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Toffeegerbil
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick replies,
I have a netgear from my previous ISP however I can't get it to work.
I am up for trying anything to sort out my current router but I have no idea how to telnet and neither do I know what a CLI interface is :C
My knowledge goes as far as using the DMZ feature and manual port forwarding but I have not learnt to do anything else.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

what ISP did you use before? You can probably change the firmware to allow you to use it on PN.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Toffeegerbil
My knowledge goes as far as using the DMZ feature and manual port forwarding but I have not learnt to do anything else.

Don't use the DMZ "feature"

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Toffeegerbil
Dabbler

It's for my xbox, I my nat is strict and i cant find games if i don't use it.
I have so many internet related problems it came as a releif that something somewhere worked. I don't care if it destroys half the computers down my street :C
I hate to admit this but my last ISP was AoL.
Toffeegerbil
Dabbler

Hmm giving this telnet thing ago after reading a bit on google,
My Ip is 80.229.7.113 , its static.
When i type " telnet 80.229.7.113 " on /run/ it comes up with the following error: 'Windows cannot find Telnet, please make sure you typed the name correctly then try again"
I am using windows 7 64 bit, does this not recognise that command :S
VileReynard
Hero

See http://www.fettesps.com/windows-7-enable-telnet/

Toffeegerbil
Dabbler

I get as far as this then it dissapears

VileReynard
Hero

Telnet is insecure - passwords are sent in clear text etc...
Try telnet 192.168.1.254 or whatever is the telnet server address on your LAN (not WAN).

Grff
Grafter

Quote from: A

Why not? I haven't heard of anyone having their xbox hacked yet?  Personally I prefer to just put port forwarding in place.
As for the original query, i've had netgears and not had much go wrong with them.
VileReynard
Hero

Netgear say...
A router normally stops incoming Internet traffic from getting on your network, unless the traffic is in response to one of your computers or when using port forwarding. But instead of discarding the incoming traffic or using port forwarding, you can send incoming traffic to one computer on your network by establishing a "Default DMZ Server". (DMZ = humorous reference to "Demilitarized Zone".) This avoids you having to figure out what ports an Internet application wants — by throwing all ports open for that computer.
For regular network operation, NETGEAR recommends you do not use a DMZ. A computer with DMZ loses firewall protection, and is exposed to exploits from the Internet. If compromised, your own computer can attack the rest your network. Instead of DMZ, use port forwarding, as described in How is Port Forwarding Configured?
However, the DMZ server feature is helpful:
    * When you have a problem connecting to an Internet service. Setting up a DMZ will determine whether a closed port is responsible for the problem.
    * With some online games and videoconferencing applications that are incompatible with NAT.

It's running with your firewall off and all ports open Grin

matt_2k34
Grafter

It's running with your firewall off and all ports open 

yes, for the ONE IP that you set within the interface, with an xbox/ps3 this isnt really an issue.
on Adiewoo's recommendation i bought a Billion BiPac 7800n (not that cheap) but does the job very well indeed. Smiley
just remember you get what you pay for in hardware. Also, ive not long finished uni so ill have a look at TW too ! Smiley
Bustermagic
Grafter

Quote from: Griff
Quote from: A

Why not? I haven't heard of anyone having their xbox hacked yet?  Personally I prefer to just put port forwarding in place.
As for the original query, i've had netgears and not had much go wrong with them.

One reason is that 'some' gamers on Xbox live use IP flood to gain an advantage.  Using DMZ would bypass any security features (if any), on your router.