cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Console War - 360 or PS3

clockley
Grafter

Re: Console War - 360 or PS3

I'm not a fanboy by any sense, but I loved the first two PlayStations, got them both early within release, and loved pretty much all of the games that I bought, but the prohibitive cost of a PS3 meant that I got an XBox 360 last year for christmas, and I haven't looked back.  Sure, I want a PS3, and I am working out ways that I can go and get one (looking at a Toys R Us TV and PS3 combo deal that they have going) but at the moment the XBox 360 is all that I need, and XBox Live is good enough for me to not be bothered that it costs.  The games at the moment don't look great for the PS3, with some exceptions, but isn't the same applicable to the Wii, currently the market leader in this generation of games machines?
However....
It all depends on what you want.  Some people only want the PS3 for a Blu-Ray and so on.  I have just bought a Wii for my mum and dad, and seeing how much my 5 year old enjoyed it (he just cant get on with the XBox controls) we are planning on buying one for at home too.  The Mrs likes gaming, but doesn't get much chance on the XBox with me around, so she hammers her DS.
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

All this talk of the PS3 is too expensive ..
I've had the PS3 60GB since launch, one payment and all sorted ..
I just brought my son the Xbox 360 because all his mates are online with this particular console and not the PS3 (I guess they are saying its down to price) ..
So I got the 60GB model, then I needed to get a wireless adapter, then I needed to get a wireless controller charger pack and lead and then I had to pay for Live gold so he can play online with his mates, I did not have to buy a headset but that said any bluetooth headset works on the PS3 (and we must all have one of them knocking around the house)..
So I was not that much short of what I would have paid to go out and get the PS3 80GB model yet I'm still minus a blu-ray player and the option of upgrading the console to a freeview PVR ..
Sound like a fanboy opps ..

Grff
Grafter

The old "why should you have to pay for XBL" argument always rears it's head.  I always say it works out at around the cost of a pint, or a big mac per month.  Hardly breaking the bank is it.  That, and the fact the console is way cheaper than the PS3 anyway, negates the cost of Live.  I haven't used a PS3, but from what i've heard from people that have, the PSN is hardly a great experience.  I switch the xbox on, it connects, I play. No problems.
All the selling points of a PS3, I personally don't have any need for.  Actually the only selling points I can think of is blu-ray and built-in wireless, and I don't have an HDTV (though do have 720i through component) to need blu-ray, and the router is around 30 cm's from the xbox, so for, i'ts the Xbox.
I think it's refreshing to hear the views of peoples who have, or have had, both consoles.  I suppose that gives more of an unbiased review.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Personally I'm for the XBOX, I bought one last year after umming and ahhing about it for a bit. In the end it came down to the PS3 being much more expensive, and as I have an old 21" CRT TV, Blu-Ray means nothing to me. In a year or so I can see the PS3 really being worth getting, but IMHO unless you want Blu-Ray there's no real reason to get one now.