cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Console War - 360 or PS3

Kevster
Dabbler

Console War - 360 or PS3

They have now both been around for a little while, promising the next generation of gaming. It seems this question splits work forces too if you mention it at work and you get no further sometimes starting conflict. I personally currently have both, and personally prefer the 360 and I am contemplating selling the PS3 as there seems to be very few exclusive games to the console, the latest games Fifa 09 COD are on both and again I opt for the 360 in its control and feel.
The reviews on-line seem to suggest there all in the pipeline and so I don't want to sell it too early.
Anyone and thoughts PS3 or 360 ?  Roll_eyes
18 REPLIES 18
James
Grafter

Re: Console War - 360 or PS3

I'd keep the 360 unless you're particularly partial to the BluRay player.
JEB
Grafter

I have both as well.
I've had the 360 for far longer and basically bought the PS3 for blu-ray movies, although I also have some games.  The 360 is easily my favourite, and I have been rather disappointed with the games on the PS3.  For example games that people rave about such as Resistance and LBP aren't (in my opinion) that good.  GOW2 is way better then anything I have played on the PS3
The 360 has the edge in graphics as well IMHO.  Albeit the PS3 is a better designed piece of hardware and is quiet as well.
In many ways Sony has made a number of horrible commercial mistakes this time round.  I get the feeling it's engineers running the company rather then businessmen.

James (waits for the flaming to start!)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I'd vote for the PS3 anytime.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

my votes for 360. way better for multiplayer. which is what todays consoles are all about.
dvorak

very subjective that, at least the PS3 mulitplayer is free.
Customer / Moderator
scootie
Grafter

boy that was a quick reply have you bein waiting to snap at some one who votes for xbox adiewoo Wink
thats fine if you want a free service but i like to pay for mine. just like with plusnet we pay that little bit more for alot more
dvorak

well it beats working  Grin
not quite sure what you get for your money that I get for free?
Surely having bought the console and the game you should need to pay for online, it's only MS that charge for it anyway AFAIK.
But hey horses for courses  Smiley
Customer / Moderator
oplesrope
Grafter

it seems most gaming forum threads descend into this argument without the need for any prompting...
i own both but have no real preference. i'm too tight to fork out for XBL at the mo, so end up playing more PS3... 
Scott

Why should gamers be expected to buy a game and then pay AGAIN to play it online?
My vote is for PS3.
Ok so the 360 has more games.... just now, but then more doesn't always mean better. Yes there are 360 games I'd like to play but not enough to make me throw out a superior machine to get them, and I'm not going to shell out for a 360 as well.
The PS3 is only a year old and anyone who says it has no decent games is kidding themselves. Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank were both great early games. Little Big Planet has the capacity to be incredible. The stuff that disappoints (tomb raider I'm looking at you) are the games that llok like 360 to PS3 conversions, lazy builds that don't push the PS3 hardware.
Better things will come, for all systems and that in the end is better for gamers than one console dominating all the rest. Besides I reckon with the global downturn we will see fewer and fewer exclusive titles as games companies seek to maximise their profits even more than before.
moemoff
Grafter

I prefer the PS3 .. I have one of the older 60's which enables me to play PS2 stuff. However I prefer the PS3 games asuch as LBP, Uncharted and (yep I know it's a multi-platform) Oblivion .. no constantly changing discs because it's all one one disc. Oh ..and I like the LEGO games ...all three.
Lurker
Grafter

I have a PS3 for sale if anybody is interested;
It's a 60GB PS3 Wifi Built in + Backwards Compatability with PS2 Games. Around 18mths old. It's in original box and with HDMI cable
One Controller
Blu-ray remote
Play TV
Games are:-
All games original/official/genuine.
Resistance Fall Of Man
Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Call Of Duty World at War (only released a month ago).
Assasin's Creed
Devil May Cry 4
Oblivion
Colin McRae Rally
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Gran Turismo HD Concept (Downloaded+installed on Hard Disk)
Grand Theft Auto 4
Ridge Racer 7
Motorstorm
Rainbow Six 1 & 2

Open to sensible offers, feel free to drop me a PM, or mail me at ps3@garwell.name
No point munging the addy - its only there as a forwarder until this thing sells.

EDIT: Yes, I *know* I'd get better coverage on Fleabay, but frankly, I can't be bothered with auctions any more.
Collection would be best TBH, from either the Leeds or Huddersfield area (depending which day etc)
Or, I'm in sunny Clitheroe (Lancashire) this Saturday and down to Rugby (Warwickshire) on Sunday.

MuppetGrinder
Grafter

PS3 all the way Grin
OK, It's strugled to get into the market with late reliese and high production costs, and there have been few developers behind it, but putting that into perspective, it has still managed to come through the fire to be the best (in my opinion) of the three.  Yes the Wii has that whole "new way of gaming" and the EX box has more games.  But look at it this way, Nintendo has, since N64 faded into the realms of cult classic, been a very child orientated console, with a few titles sprinkled in to keep the mum's and dads happy.  It's deffinately top for the "bring the mates round after a heavy night at the pub" scenario.  XBox, well it was pushed out too early, in typical M$ style, in order to get the lion's share of the market.  It had the finance and the developers from M$ on the PC platform and has been able to buy exclusive rites to more games than anyone else.  It's still a jip that everything about the console comes with the "must be purchased seperatly" clause.  Sony held back on their PS3, and if you ask me, they still relesed it too early.  They have had huge pricing issues, due to underestimating the production costs, and have totaly ballsed it on the backword compatability, which is still unavalable to anyone that does not have the 60Gig version, even the 80Gig and 160Gig that was promised to have a hybrid emulator for playing PS2 games did not deliver.  It does however have the largest media capacity of all the consoles, is the only console that plays blue-ray strait out the box and has, (again in my opinion) the most ergonomic and intuative controler.  Also take into account that the PS3 is the biggest looser in the "cross platform" market as it winds up leaving about 78% of the disk blank because other consoles use much smaller media, and the fact that it has limited titles at the moment.
Put PS3 and Exbox head to head if there were all the same titles on each and you would only have the price to factor your chioce, then take into account that the PS3 can handle much larger titles in the future with no need for an upgrade, and plays Blue Ray and HD-DVD titles as is.  M$ has even fought to get blueray into the next version of Exbox and we all know that meens owners of the current system will eventualy have to fork out for an upgrade, or buy a new system. 
The Wii doesn't factor realy as it's that "original" an interface that you will either want one or you won't
IMHO once PS3 get's it's equivelent of FF VII, and by that I meen a developer writing a game taylored to the media and console rather than for getting sales over all platforms, and when they get the backwords compatability sorted out, then I think the PS3 will finaly be born.  Till then it's just going to be us enthusiasts that fight it's corner.
And that is my totaly biast opinion on the matter  Tongue
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quick capsule review (not that I've read any of these threads before...)
PS3 = media centre king. PVR, watch videos on your PSP via wifi wherever you happen to be, HD upscaling, blu-ray etc etc plus the online is free.
360 = better games and much better online experience that on the downside you do have to pay for. Plus the console itself is a lot cheaper.
I reckon I'll be going for the 360 when I finally get round to having some free money. More of my mates have them and I'm more bothered about the gaming side of it all anyway.
/2p
scootie
Grafter

Well my xbox died the other day. But cant blame M$ as my xbox only started freezing up witin 5 mins of turning it on since my t.v died and the xbox's a.v cable was still attached. So i think a surge of some sort from the t.v went down the a.v cable and did somthing nasty to my xbox.    still under warrnty Smiley
But couldnt go nearly a month with out a console and over chitmas to so went down curry's to get an arcade xbox to use for the month and sell it on when i got mine back from germany.
Went to currys today asked if they got any arcade's in stock yep they had 3 so had one with halo 3 £127 sat an waited for it to come from stock room 30 mins later after the guy had bein back an forth said they couldnt find one and pc world(partner company) didnt have one ether. well i smiled as i had a recipt in my hand for an aracde and knew they had pro boxs behind cash desk. so a few words from me saying i waited 30 mins and wouldnt be shoping with them again got upgraded to a pro box 60gb £166 with halo 3 for £127  Smiley
And word of warning to people buying t.v's from currys when they ask for your address to check you have t.v liscense they kepp all the data on you as i said i had brought an 32inch lcd this crimbo from them and woould'nt be buying such item's from them again after waiting 30mins. The manger when doing the exchange asked for my post code name ect and could see i had bought 2 t.v's from them in the last year.
i must add thoe i had the xbox wirless streeing wheel and that was doged with problem's wheel off centre ect and finaly it decide that no matter how much the wheel is turned it just sends a full lock signal to any driving game.
so the ps3 seems to have better build quality but then all the little good things about the xbox seems to keep alot of us faithful to the xbox even when the dame thing RROD