cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems on PS3 ridiculous HELP!

DeanWheddon

Connection problems on PS3 ridiculous HELP!

Hi,
I have been with plusnet for quite some time now but just recently in the past 2/3 weeks I have had serious problems with my connection on my PS3.
First of all, I recently upgraded to the unlimited package with Plusnet, but whether this made any difference is unknown. The connection problems seem to have coincided with the upgrade though.
Now for the problem I am having..... If I am browsing on my laptop only I have no connection problems, if I am playing online on my PS3 only I have no connection problems, BUT if I am browsing on my laptop and playing online on my PS3 at the same time the connection problems get ridiculous!
I have not changed any of my equipment or the set up of my equipment in any way. So why the lag/ connection problems now? My connection is repeatedly interrupted  the second I load any web page on my laptop.
I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to these problems so there is a limited amount of things I can try to sort the problems. This is a list of things I have tried.
1. Reset the router and the connection to the PS3
2. Changed the channel on my router
3. Changed routers and then changed the channel on the new router
After doing that there was no change to the problems. I opened the ports on my router when I first got it to help with online gaming so that is not the cause of the problem.
I have contacted plusnet constantly over the past 2 weeks, I had a test on my line come back with no errors. The only help they have provided me was to send me out another new router and advise me that I may be better of buying a new router which has QOS, which could cost me upwards of £100 easily. I do not earn enough money to be able to spend that much on a router and I certainly do not agree that it should be down to me to supply new equipment when it is clearly a problem with plusnet.
I have never had this problem until now and I have had 2 separate routers (both provided by plusnet) the first was a Thomson TG585 v8 and the second is a Technicolor TG582n.
I beg anyone that can help, to help me as it is beginning to anger me so much. I am getting nowhere with any suggestion that plusnet technical customer service can offer and it is starting to become a joke.
If anyone reading this can help and needs any additional information then please ask and I will do my best to provide anything needed in return for your help!
I have just done a speed test and the results were PING: 21ms DOWNLOAD SPEED: 13.64mbps UPLOAD SPEED: 0.37mbps.
Any advice or help is more than welcomed.
Thanks, Dean
12 REPLIES 12
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Connection problems on PS3 ridiculous HELP!

Hi Dean,
I've checked over your connection and can see still no issues as you mentioned. Do you have anything in particular using your connection on your laptop when you see this issue? Any P2P programs?
DeanWheddon

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I do not have any P2P programmes running when this happens. It happens no matter what web page I am on, the worst cases of it are when I load a new web page the connection on the PS3 completely drops for 2/3 seconds which is the most annoying thing ever when you are face to face with an enemy on Call Of Duty to say the least!
I tried a wired connection last night and still had problems so it is not down to the wireless being interrupted. The only thing I can think is causing it would be the traffic management on my line, I have not changed anything my end and they only thing that has changed is my package with plusnet, so could it be that the unlimited package is in some way different to my last package in regards to  the way the traffic is managed? Meaning that gaming devices are only getting a small share of the bandwidth?
Thanks, Dean
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The Unlimited package is a better traffic management profile than on our older products.
Have you tried more than one computer to see if your PS3 gaming is still affected?
DeanWheddon

The next step for me is to try a second PS3 console to rule out the problem being with my console, but I cannot do that until I can get hold of another one for a day or two.
I highly doubt it would be my PS3 console though so what is the next step after that? I cannot possibly be expected to stay with plusnet if the problem persists and they cannot provide me with a solution. If I have to pay £100 for a router with QOS simply because there is a problem with plusnet which they cannot seem to find themselves then sure I should be entitled to £100 of my next few months bills? Would it be breaching the T&C's of my contract because I am not getting the service I am paying for and/or the equipment plusnet have provided me with is not up to the task?
The blame cannot be put on the router though as I was using the same router for 2 years with no problems so it has to be something with my line in the past month or so that has occurred.
Thanks, Dean
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd certainly recommend trying alternative equipment first. I can see that we have done some initial tests on your line and found no issues. I'd suggest replying to your fault ticket and we can take a closer look at your line too.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your time on the phone, we've made a few configuration changes to your line. If you could try as you normally would and let us know if there's any difference.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Did you manage to try your laptop and PS3?
DeanWheddon

Yes I managed to give it a go but I would like to test it over the next few days to make sure it has either solved it or not.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have you seen an improvement so far?
DeanWheddon

Not really, I thought at first it had made a difference, but the more I play it seems that it may not of made a difference. I will post tomorrow evening with more feedback.
DeanWheddon

Hi, I left it a bit longer just to be more sure. Unfortunately it has not made a difference, it is really starting to frustrate me now!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

When you see that you're having any issues it would be ideal if you were able to capture a wireshark so we can see how the traffic is identified on your PS3. You'd need to configure your router for this, as explained here.