cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection issues with Battlefield 3

banana87

Connection issues with Battlefield 3

Hi guys,
Does anybody have any idea what could be causing a "connection to the server timed out" error that i'm getting every 30 minutes or so?
The problem is definitely coming coming from my own plusnet connection, I don't have any problems when using a neighbour's wifi.
Any  thoughts really appreciated!
Ben
27 REPLIES 27
myth
Grafter

Re: Connection issues with Battlefield 3

I had same problems with disconnects after each game or halfway through. I coudlnt even get game launched through browser (found out was spybot blocking it). Took me awhile and a few setting changes but I disabled UPnP on the router and have been playing for a week now without disconnects.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i play bf3 no problems ,  Wink i find most important is to dissable UPNP on the router
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
JamesM
Grafter

It is probably just EA,
Everytime I try to get on a server I get a windows error message, then I get can not connect to server, then the third time I get onto the server OK. Half the time I get disconnected at map change, or sometimes when I have been killed. It is typical of EA to bring out another Beta as the full product.
The worst one is when you are a gunner in a heli and the pilot gets disconnected  Cheesy
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

James , the worst thing i get is "BF3 has stopped working "  Crazy  apart from that i play fine with no dissconects  Wink
JamesM
Grafter

the worst thing i get is "BF3 has stopped working "    apart from that i play fine with no dissconects  

Thats good to hear. Smiley
I think my problem is when I got the game I started installing it and it was downloading from origin for about an hour, and I thought this cant be right, surely the BF3 disk contains more than just the origin exe. So I stopped the download and fiddled about until I got it installing off the disk. To be fair I haven't had a mid game or end of round disconnect for a few days since I got my new GFX card (which in turn made me have to buy a new PSU aswell  Angry . 20 amp rails were not powerful enough to run my newe GFX card so had to get one with at least 30 amp on the rails.
So all I have to do now is format my computer and have a fresh install now I have switched from ATI to Nvidia and then I can install BF3 fresh from the disk and maybe my connection to servers will go smoothly.
wacky17
Grafter

I crash normally on the first try when joining a server. Dice decided that they wanted to use a web browser for server seaching/joining, this has caused problems for many people as most people's anti-virus blocks it doing other things than viewing a page. I use free avast as my anti-virus and the only way i can receive invites is to disable avast shield. The other thing i have found that can cause crashes is if you join a party as i think that uses another plugin for voip. At the end of the day we are talking about a EA\Dice battlefield game which in the series has been buggy.
banana87

FYI, disabling UPnP on the router has fixed the disconnect issues, cheers!
mattturner
Grafter

Quote from: banana87
FYI, disabling UPnP on the router has fixed the disconnect issues, cheers!

Interesting... We've not got a copy of Battlefield 3 in the office however I'd like to get to the bottom of this issue. If possible please could you get a Wireshark capture of the problem (with uPnP enabled)? If not then we'll purchase a copy and replicate ourselves.
Thanks,
Matt
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Matt , also for some reason , as i know from experience PC Games run a lot better with upnp dissabled ,,BC2 was poop unless you dissabled it  Roll_eyes unless its a Dice thing
myth
Grafter

I noticed that taking UPnP off works a treat but harms console gaming. Could be worth doing the trace route to EA but you will notice that when UPnP is on the route times out at there end, when its off no issues. Had similar problems for years with CS, BF2 and warcraft. I think it comes down to the amount of hops the route has to take and having UPnP on causes errors/timeouts after each hop.
maxhurt

Hi all,
What a complete nightmare BF3 connection has become.
I am getting HTTP 500 internal server error, when i log into BF3 BATTLELOG, and when i try to launch the game, using the game icon and or ORIGIN.
I have completed a net trace for both PLUSNET and EA, but still cant connect.
I have completed a PORT FORWARD check using the below link
www.portforward.com
and used the below link to check.
https://help.ea.com/article/online-ports-for-battlefield-3
I have completed a clean boot with the help of a microsoft link.
I have tried using FIREFOX
I have even tries the UPnP off on the THOMSON 585v8 which was supplied to me from PLUSNET.
I have even paid for a 3rd party software to clean registery and check for spyware.
NOTHING WORKS
Can anyone help.  PLZ
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have you tried reinstalling the Battlelog plugin? If that doesn't work (either IE or Firefox) I believe it should work in Chrome as well, that might be worth a go?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

aparently Dice are going to release a Update  Wink next week suposidly to adress issues with origin/battlog problems  as well as other minor fixes  :).
hopefully it will sort out problems then, i must be lucky i have no conection probs  Wink
wacky17
Grafter

Thats right rongtw. They have atm been fixing the servers so we players should see a update soon.