Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Champions Online

optimus
Grafter

Re: Champions Online

Thanks Kriv!
Cryptic seem to be trying (and currently failing) to sort this issue out but it really appears to be down to traffic throtteling by certain UK/EU ISPs. I'm sure Plusnet are doing everything they can to sort this out as quickly as possible (and thanks James for the fast responses) but I'm also considering moving to either Sky or O2 which don't seem to have any throtteling on their products. A shame as Plusnet have been very good and I've been with them for years but this and a few other issues are pushing me in that direction.
Still, that decision has not been made just yet. I'm hoping this will all be sorted out soon, hopefully so I can go back to donning my spandex and fighting the good fight again this weekend...
James
Grafter

Thanks for that.
It's currently sat with the traffic management guys.
optimus
Grafter

Not sure if it's of any help but a lot of UK people affected by this problem are reporting that connecting via game path http://www.gamepath.net removes the lag problem (gamepath bypasses the normal route traffic takes) . I haven't tried it myself, as I don't really want to be installing a lot of other software on my machine to be able to play soemthing I should without it, but it demonstrates that this does seem be a traffic shaping issue...
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: optimus
so I can go back to donning my spandex and fighting the good fight again this weekend...

Meanwhile, other people will be playing on the computer?  Tongue
It does sound like a misidentified traffic issue.  Once the traffic is identified as gaming, that should be the end of pretty much all the problems you've been experiencing.
B.
optimus
Grafter

Ha! Yeah, just keeping the old neighbourhood safe. I do get some funny looks when shopping in Tesco's though....  Cheesy
Really do hope this is just a mater of Plusnet allowing the traffic through, I'm trying to be patient but while mates on other non-affected ISPs are steaming ahead in the game I'm feeling kinda left behind and the weekend (my only real gaming window) is fast approaching....  Cry
adie:quote
Kriv

@Optimus
lol why move ISP? The shaping helps improve performance by managing your experience better. you won't get this helpfullnezs from any other ISP. Granted it is fustrating, but you could have sped it up by doing a wireshark capture of your own Wink
optimus
Grafter

You're totally right of course. Embarrassed
I don't want to have the hassle of moving ISP but it is a buyer's market out there and already being an O2 customer I would get a significant discount on a better product that wouldn't get throtteled at peak times (I have noticed my line speed drop in peak times and although I'm not a huge P2P user the speeds I get on that even outside of peak time are useless).
However, as I have said before I have been with Plusnet for quite some time (even from the early shakey days I don't want to recall...  Lips_are_sealed ) and their excellent customer service does go a long way to keeping me around. I know James and the rest of the team are working on this issue and taking it seriously (probably a lot more so than Cryptic  Roll_eyes ) and it is appreciated, so I will give them every chance before I do soemthing as drastic as leaving.
adie:quote
Kriv

Well it's something plus.net's side. Tried Gamepath and it ran like a dream.
scootie
Grafter

just wireshark gamepaths traffic to see what prioity PN are giving that and it will give you an answer to if thats the reson it is better than the standard port numbers for this game.
in furure i surrgest the moment a new game u play is released you get that wireshark capture done and if its not picked up as 0xa0 titanium then with out dely get a ticket raised to avoid a bigger wait for the sig to go live.
the reason am with PN is the prioitys traffic get but PN can not be expected to find every new game before you play them so need your help to give the games traffic the red carpet treatment over the network
lassitude

This is the second time I have had this issue with MMORPGs so I suspected Plusnet were up to their old shenanigans when the game fell to pieces for me in the evening. I've had all the issues the rest of you have had so I won't bother bleating on about them. I raised a ticket and provided a wireshark cap file and now I am told to wait for their network people to sort it out. I'm just a bit narked off here because Plusnet are not the cheapest ISP about and I would have expected a better quality of service from them (My colleagues who are playing Champions had no problems at all from their ISPs)
Chris Angry
optimus
Grafter

It is extremely frustrating but I doubt PN are doing this on purpose and I know that the team are trying what they can from their end to sort this out.
The main issue lies with Cryptic. I have been in contact with one of the Champions devs (as I have been quite vocal about this issue on their forums) and they are gathering connection information from a number of users in an effort to identify where the issue lies so they can tell ISPs. However, they are being very slow about it and from the dev's replies I get the feeling this issue is a matter of internal politics, hence the lack of updates or action about it from them...
We just gotta hang on in there but I'd give the pressure more to Cryptic than to Plusnet.  Wink
lassitude

I'm trying to understand how this problem could be Cryptics fault. I have 3 friends who have been playing Champions since open beta without any connectivity issues(admittedly the game has been a little twitchy), each with a different ISP and incidentally each of them pays LESS for their ISP. The problem occurs when Plusnet mess about with traffic prioritisation. I can play the game during the day (but work prevents that), but come the PLUS traffic Nerf in the evening I am high and dry. On top of that it seems to have got worse over the last few nights. I used to be able to get in after about 5 attempts, although the game was unplayable. Now I am not even getting past the patcher. So the big question what are my friends ISPs doing that Plusnet are not doing? or..... What are Plusnet doing that they are not doing?
I can access the game using www.gamepath.com using their proxy service but it involes two programs and is shuts down the proxy link once every hour unless I pay yet more money for an account with them....and anyway it's a sticking plaster for something Plusnet should be sorting out in my opinion.
This is the second time I have suffered from this (Warhammer Online was the last one). I know they are only  games but they are subscription based and I don't see why I should throw money away paying for an premium ISP on top of subscribing to a game I am unable to play because of them.
Righty ho it's time for my deep breathing excersies now....deep breaths 1, 2, 3 ,4
thanks
Chris
optimus
Grafter

I can totally see your point, especially if you have had this problem before...
I played Champions Online in both open and closed beta and in the pre-order headstart week (between the 31st August and 4th September) and I recall the game running fine at peak times. Then on the 5th Cryptic changed something and it began to lag badly in peak, they did soemthing to the way the traffic looks and so it is now identified as Bit Torrent type during peak times and so is throttled by PN and a number of other ISPs. Cryptic seem to be approaching the issue as if it is patchable when by doing that they are making things worse.
I too have mates on unaffected ISPs (no peak time throtteling) so it is frustrating that they can play while I can't and yes I thought about changing ISPs too. What's currently keeping me here is the good customer service of PN and I will give them a good chance to sort this out first.
Isquish
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
Thanks for that.
It's currently sat with the traffic management guys.

Any update Jamesh?
I realise it's not your fault that cryptic have mucked about with their network code but right now I can't even get my copy to see the patcher.  It's more than a little frustrating if I'm being totally honest.
'Squish
Bodman

I've had a reply and if all is well the change to the traffic database is scheduled for next week  Smiley

Bodman