cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot stay connected to games - XBOX

timlamb

Cannot stay connected to games - XBOX

My son cannot stay connected to games for more than a few minutes.
I am trying to follow the advice provided but cannot log on to the router.
None of the user names suggested by PlusNet work i.e. Admin or Administrator (capital A or small a) when entered with the router serial number as the password.
I get an username/password error message and am then disconnected from the host
It is a TG585 version 7 router.
My son is absolutely fed up - we live in a rural area and this is his evening contact with the outside world.
Any ideas what I can do?
Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
sully72
Grafter

Re: Cannot stay connected to games - XBOX

try all capitals for the serial number.............
sully72
Grafter

also are you wired or wireless
timlamb

Thanks for replying.
I have tried capitals - no luck.
It is wireless, the signal on the XBOX is good (3 out of 4) and is described as excellent on a laptop one bedroom further away from the router, and also downstairs.
RichAllen
Grafter

What game or games is he playing? Might be server related if the connection from Plusnet checks out OK?
timlamb

Call of Duty, Battlefield and GTA 5.
As a result of my original query to Plusnet (3 weeks ago now), they found that there was a problem with the internet connection dropping out.
I changed the filter and connected to the BT test socket and they say the connection has been stable since, so the problem is internal (i.e. mine, not theirs).
However, this made no difference to my son's problem, and, the internet connection has dropped out twice in the last few days.
After several years of trouble free service, I am now getting disillusioned with Plusnet.
I changed our phones over to Plusnet fairly recently and am wondering if that is why I have started having problems?
Also, can anyone tell me how to post to the 'Increasing Gaming Capacity' feed somewhere on the site? - the comments seem to be related to the same problem I am having but I can't work out how to post a query?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
sully72
Grafter

is there any chance you could try a wired connection from the router to the xbox to rule out if it is a wifi problem and did you manage to login to the router.do you have a lot of devices connected to the router at the same time as your lad is gaming.............
timlamb

Yes, I had planned to dig out a cable, move the equipment nearer the router and see if that helps.
Never managed to log into the router, I think Plusnet might have given up replying.
Maximum other equipment is 2 laptops on the internet at the same time as my son is trying to play on XBOX - no problems with the laptop connection - signal strength shown as excellent.
Thanks for your help.
timlamb

I have moved the TV and XBOX to the router and connected them with an Ethernet cable, hey presto! - working fine and not getting disconnected from games with friends.
I take it this means the wireless signal to the XBOX was the problem?
Strange, as it has worked for many, many months before the problem started.
Is there such a thing as a wireless signal booster or something that might help?
Are some routers better than others, might a better router help?
Still haven't managed to log in to the router to make the changes suggested to increase gaming capacity, but not sure if this is still the issue now?
Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't waste your time with wireless for gaming !
Get some mains powerline adaptors like these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-AVplus-Starter-Pass-Thru-Filter/dp/B002WRQV7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...
Here is the manufacturers info - http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/5_dlan-200-avplus_starter-kit_product-presentation_1.html
Wink
timlamb

Looks interesting - thanks, I will investigate further.
As explained, the XBOX is now working correctly when attached to the router by a cable, but even though it is now less than a metre away from the router, the connection to the game is lost as soon as I switch back to wireless (so the problem isn't that the XBOX was in a bad wireless location - and a lap top in the same place gets an excellent signal).
I am going to try changing the channel on the router to see if that changes things, but I'm struggling to work out why the XBOX cannot pick up an adequate wireless signal when it is right next to the router?
Thanks for your help.
sully72
Grafter

timlamb

Yes, I have thanks.
I have now managed to log-in to my router by leaving the password field blank.
However, I am struggling to identify exactly what to do with the information in the 'How to Increase the gaming capacity of your router' page.
I cut and past the info in, as instructed, but nothing seems to happen; do I type 'saveall' or cut and paste that too?
Then do I press enter on the keyboard to save/log-out?
Sorry to be such an idiot!
Thanks.
PS. Another problem (not sure if it is linked) is that our internet connection still drops out occasionally, despite Plusnet telling me it was stable - need to get back to them.
sully72
Grafter

is this what you are referring to http://community.plus.net/library/gaming/increasing-gaming-compatability-with-the-thomson-tg585v8-xb...;   to be honest it may be worth investing in a new router.
timlamb

Yes, that's what I'm referring to.
I can log into my router now, but not sure how to cut and paste and save the changes.
I see someone has posted a similar problem entitled 'disconnected from Black Ops 2'.
I've been trying to sort this out for a month now - thoroughly fed up!
Internet dropped out again tonight, even though I am still connected to the BT test socket.
Regards.