cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find my server on the router management list

iracnia7

Can't find my server on the router management list

I need to have incoming and outgoing traffic to my server, and for this, I am assuming I need to set the server on the dmz section of the router management.

However I can see all other devices on the dropdown in the dmz, but not my server. Obviously I do have it connected to the internet, hardwired, and it's running web pages fine. 

It is not showing on the devices graphic either. How can I get it to show up?

Image of device manager

4 REPLIES 4
iracnia7

Re: Can't find my server on the router management list

Just putting a bit more info here.. 

I am using SageMcom Plusnet Hub One through dsl broadband connection on fibre line.

I have tried doing this.. as suggested in another thread

The issue here is definitely the router.  I recently talked a customer through this process recently.  Tried a number of methods including the DMZ option but eventually got there by:
- Assigning a static IP to the console.
- Disabling "Extended Security" but leaving "Upnp" enabled.
- Forwarding the ports to the consoles static I.P. specific to the game in question via "Game & Application Sharing". (There were quite a few!)
Restart the router.

Here is another shot of my device manager, after switching the server to the first lan port

picture 2 of devices on router

iracnia7

Tried this.. from another forum...

Enabling network discovery (these services must be started: DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, UPnP Device Host)

Still not showing up, so still unable to activate the dmz!!!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@iracnia7 wrote:

I need to have incoming and outgoing traffic to my server, and for this, I am assuming I need to set the server on the dmz section of the router management.

The better option is to use port forwarding to only forward traffic across the ports your server is responding to. Assigning the server to the DMZ is like cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer and leaves your network very open to abuse unless you've some pretty solid firewall rules in place on or in front of the server itself. If you assign your server a static local IP address then you shouldn't need to rely on it being visible in the Hub's network map, as you can create port forwarding rules to specific IP addresses.

However I can see all other devices on the dropdown in the dmz, but not my server. Obviously I do have it connected to the internet, hardwired, and it's running web pages fine. 

Does the DMZ assignment allow you to enter an IP rather than select a hostname as well? I can't remember.

It is not showing on the devices graphic either. How can I get it to show up?

The reason it's not showing is probably related to this.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

iracnia7

Thank you for your reply Bob, I read through the 3 pages that you linked, and came away with the impression that basically this is an ongoing issue that won't be fixed till 2019? 

I have set port forwarding up to the ports I need open. That is all done to the static IP I have set on the server. The reason I was wanting to use the dmz is because when I run a diagnostic on the ports, it is saying the port forwarding is not working correctly, and it is quite clearly showing the port set up in the 'port forward' tab, for the correct ports. (The diagnostic tool ignores things such as virus software and firewall, although those need to be done afterwards too. )

No, there is not an option on the dmz to set it to a static IP, it does however create a new static IP when I select my computer, for that device, which is showing on the list. I un-selected it after seeing what it did.