cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Of Duty: Black Ops

QUINNYTHEMATLO

Call Of Duty: Black Ops

Hi,
I am a brand new owner of a PN supplied broadband connection. I no diddly about servers and ports and such like (I even had to get my little brother to setup my router, as the welcome pack may-as-well have been in Swahili!) So I have a very simple question; Will I be able to play Black Ops, online, on PS3, using my new BB?
Yes or no would be splendid.
Thanks muchly
10 REPLIES 10
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Call Of Duty: Black Ops

Hey there,
You will indeed.
However, you will need to forward some ports, as per the link below:
http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php/topic,1397.0.html?PHPSESSID=sblh1koe7hpccqvo9kt2631e20
This gives you a step by step guide of what you need to do Smiley
Regards,
Matt
QUINNYTHEMATLO

Fantastic news, thank you sir.
So to confirm, in order to play the following needs to be correct?

• UPnP needs to be enabled on both PS3 and Router (I have standard PN issue Thompson 1, is this compatible?)

• WAN/Internet IP in my router needs to match that on the port tester page

Is this what you mean by "forwarding of ports", or is this something else I need to translate, decrypt, and attempt to correct Huh
James
Grafter

Hi there,
First off I'd suggest just trying it without making any chance, it could just work in a plug and play point of view.
The port forwarding is a little more complicated than unsuring UPnP is turned on, but like I say, try it out first.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

QUINNYTHEMATLO There are a few different ways of making sure that your PS3 games will work properly it depends on which suits you.
Method 1.Basically enabling upnp (universal plug and play) is probably the easiest option, it does what it says on the tin when enabled on both the router and the PS3. What that does is when you insert a game it will automatically set up the PS3 and router to open the ports needed for the game with little or no intervention from you. This comes with some risk, enabling upnp or your router means that if your were to download some malicious software on a pc on the same network which was designed to open ports to your pc it will work. Not  as much as a problem with the ps3 as up to press there are no known threats to the PS3 operating system which is totally different to the windows operating system( that could change who knows) I have seen issues where UPNP is enabled but the game still doesn't function properly depending on the router make.
Method 2.Manually opening the ports, this would involve you setting up a static IP for the ps3 and then opening up ports the games require in the router. This is time consuming but probably the safest way of going about things. If you do this and you can back up your router settings so if you need to reset the router you don't have to manually open all the ports again.
Method 3. Putting the PS3 in the DMZ(de-militarised zone) Same as the above you set a static ip for the ps3, all ports are open but only to the ps3 so no need to forward ports. This is safer than upnp as any other computers on the network will be safe and as mentioned up to press there are no known issues with ps3 malicious code.
I personally use option three, until I hear that something is out there that threatens my ps3 I stick to that and would probably go to method 2 if there was a threat. The terminology may be daunting but it's not as hard as it sounds, basically what you are doing by giving a static ip is telling your router to issue the same ip or name if you like which will be in a numerical format i.e 192.168.1.then whatever number you choose every time you switch on the PS3. Without doing this the router is set to issue just whatever number is available at the time. Then open the ports(ports are just doorways into the router, by default for safety they are all closed and each game needs certain ones to be open to work) that are needed to that i.p address only. That way every time you switch the ps3 on your good to go.
www.portforward.com has some good info on setting up a static i.p and which ports will need to be opened for each individual game as well as setting up DMZ. Just put your router type as well as the game you want to play and it will give you a step by step guide without the swahili  Grin
Give me a shout if you need any help with it.
ITFCdan
Grafter

Hi ,
I've not been on the forum for some months , which is a sign that my connection has been great recently!  Smiley
BUT the last 2 nights i've had terrible trouble playing Black Ops online  Sad  It may not be my connection but i've spoken to many others with different ISP's who are not experiencing the problems that i'm getting.
I'll try to explain as best  i can , It's as if the whole game pause's for a split second every 20-30 seconds or so , but that split second is enough to ruin my online experience, for instance if i'm running along , i will suddenly pause then shoot forward a few paces for example , or if i'm sat still and turn left or right it will pause then jump a few frames to catch up , very annoying. Undecided
I am on the Pro package and have my PS3 set in DMZ, netgear router, speedtests show 4+M Down , 0.4M Up , ping 20-25 mS
This problem only happens on this game , no problems with any other COD title .
Any advise much appriciated.
smiffyb36
Grafter

May be nothing to do with it but i've had the same problem on Fallout NV recently, only over the past few days. Wonder if there's something up with xbox live? Exact same problem, seems to freeze/glitch for a second or 2 then back to normal. I just assumed it was a problem with the new game that needed patching.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

ITF what are you playing ot on m8 pc, xbox or PC? Just asking because there is a similar problem on the psn usually when some one on your friends list signs on.
I find when games have just been released you do find some lag issues which seem to fade when the game becomes less popular. If this solely on one game there's more chance it's the game rather than your connection.
ITFCdan
Grafter

I'm on PS3 m8, i do have a lot of peeps on my FL , so i guess i should delete a few of it , see if it helps
PLUSNET staff has this game been added to the traffic management list yet?
steventuck
Dabbler

. I had a nightmare joining games last night, got annoyed, went onto Halo Reach and got into game with full green bar connection, tried Black Ops later and couldn't join, so all these problems with joining up on COD is probably due to either Treyarch being rubbish or the sheer volume of people playing it at the moment.
FxAxF
Rising Star

Quote from: ITFCdan
I'm on PS3 m8, i do have a lot of peeps on my FL , so i guess i should delete a few of it , see if it helps
PLUSNET staff has this game been added to the traffic management list yet?

I'm pretty sure you can set the PS3 to not notify you of everyone joining PSN Smiley