cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COD2 Keeps Crashing Computer

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

COD2 Keeps Crashing Computer

Its in the title really eveytime i go on COD2 My computer switches itself off This happened when i had XP now i have upgraded to Win7 i thought the problem would go away but it hasnt. I can be on there for 10 minutes or an hour there is no pattern to it, this caused major problems in XP corrupted files etc. I have downloaded the game from Steam even though it comes with discs presume you cant play direct from discs.
My computer is
2.93 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
I wonder if any one else has had similar problems is it my graphics card overheating ? NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Many thanks for reading.........Mike
13 REPLIES 13
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: COD2 Keeps Crashing Computer

is this old skool COD2 or CoD MW2?
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Sorry should have said Yes it is Modern Warfare...Thanks
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Hrm,
I have the DVD of the game too, but I never used it. Always downloaded it via steam.
I have a similar setup to you.
Athlon X2 64 2.0Ghz dual core.
2Gb DDR2 ram.
nVidia 9600GT
I've not really had this problem - are your graphics drivers up to date? and does this still happen if you remove the game and re-download, or install from the DVD as its like 11gig, and its alot of bandwidth to use up.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Have just downloaded new drivers for Win7 didnt realise they needed updating thought Win7 told you if anything wasnt compatible and needed updating
Anyway will give the game another try and see if this solves the problem
Many Thanks Will let you know what happens...Mike
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Incidently, I'm just downloading MW2 again, after reinstalling my computer and adding new hard drives Smiley
Good luck!
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Downloaded new drivers which COD detected and reset the screen to a smaller screen (as i have a wide screen)
First time didnt even get to fire my gun before it switched off second time was 5 minutes in and switched off so no luck there
Something that may be relevant after the first crash Win7 said as it was re loading " VIRTUAL MACHINE STACK OVERFLOW"
although this message didnt appear on second crash restart so dont know if it has any bearing or not.
Maybe i should give up and play Lemmings instead...................
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Interesting.. Not come across that before Sad
Does it crash on any other games you have on steam?
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Only game in Steam never come across steam before till this game thought the downloading the game bit a pain can you not play from the DVD alone ?
Mattz0r
Rising Star

I believe they use Steam, as a method of authentication, to reduce the risk of pirated copies being made. You can't play the game without it - You can install from the DVD, but it'll still require steam in order to play.
wacky17
Grafter

My first thoughts are that your gpu is over heating, download this http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html#directiontouse and check your temps and also is your pc a dell?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Could be Data Execution Prevention[DEP] needing enabled for it, iirc you get this when a game/application is trying to access memory already taken.
So add the games exe to DEP and see if it helps.
DEP is an option in the Performace Option settings in Windows
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Mattz0r
Rising Star

I'm also getting a problem with MW2 now Sad
When i load it, it loads... i get to the menu screen, then it just crashes, but if i run it in safe mode, i can play it as normal...
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Now the game seems ok but caused a couple of other problems now telling me apart from the Virtual Stack Overflow which pops up regularly now it is telling me in my
Teredo tunneling Seudo- Interface (whatever the hell that is) is not working properly and has a yellow triangle next to it i have upadated drivers for this and windows tells me my drivers are the best
available so i  want to delete and re install driver but cant seem to find the driver for this thing anywhere........Sorry about your probs Mattz0r thats what happend to me and i ran a tune up programme that seems to have sorted it out at least for now but wont hold my breath.