cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broardband Pro

Loon
Grafter

Broardband Pro

At the moment I am on 3 and have to say I am pretty happy with it. I am thinking of swapping to Pro for no other reason than to see if it is any quicker.
I mainly use bb to play online ( pinging high teens to high twenties depending on game and server) and watching the odd programme on iplayer. I have been looking at my recent usage and normally stay under 15Gb. If I need to buy more how much is it?
Also if I do upgrade will it have any effect on my phone package?
Look forward to any advice and thanks in advance.
Rob Wink
44 REPLIES 44
James
Grafter

Re: Broardband Pro

Hi Rob,
I'm not sure if you are aware, but moving to Pro will not improve your overall speed.
It just means that all traffic is prioritsed at a high level, meaning that your games should always get good pings through our network (even if we're not treating them in the right way) and that P2P and Usenet traffic will run at quick speeds throughout the day.
Loon
Grafter

Hi James
Thanks for the quick reply.
I was not expecting a gain in my pings as I am hardly ever beaten for speed when i look.
What I was wondering about is the iplayer as at the mo it tends to hang a fair bit.
Also I am right in assumming that e-mail stays the same as I noticed on 3 I have unlimited accounts (I only have 4 ) but there is no mention of this in the Pro blurb?
Rob
James
Grafter

Hi Rob,
All the additional features (like email) are the same across our residential product range.  You would be welcome to try out Pro for a month to see if it improves your iPlayer traffic and I can always move you back if it's not helped out at all.
I personally wouldn't have expected it to make a massive amount of difference as streaming should be treated the same way on Option 3 and Pro.
Loon
Grafter

Hi James
If it is possible to try for a month or 2 how do I go about then?
Rob
Grff
Grafter

I didn't see any difference from my current setup (premier I think) to the Pro package. 
When it says gaming traffic is prioritised, I'm sure i've seen a comparison chart somewhere that says all packages have gaming priorised. Am I wrong in that, or is there something else that sets the gaming traffic different accross the packages?
James
Grafter

No, you're right.
The main difference is how advanced protocols are prioritised.
The benefit to gamers is that should a new game come out and we're not prioritising the traffic properly, the gaming speeds will still be good.
Grff
Grafter

I see.  Smiley
I assume that shouldn't be too much of an issue for console games though using the same PSN or XBL.
James
Grafter

XBox Live, no.  But we've seen a couple recent PS3 games have some problems, although Carl is normally on hand to make sure they get fixed quickly.
It seems he doesn't need much of an excuse to pick up some new games for his PS3 Smiley
ITFCdan
Grafter

Hi first post
I just migrated over from supanet onto the pro package in the hope of lag free evening gaming.
Having read most of the posts on this front page of the "gamers forum" i'm glad to see nobody moaning about lag too much, fingers crossed.
MY results with supanet were OFF PEAK  down 5750 up 400 kbps ping 55
                                                               PEAK  down 1000 up 300 kbps ping 200+
It was horrible for COD4/5 on PS3 Angry
I should be online next monday. Grin
ITFCdan
Grafter

/\/\/\  Do you think my peak results will improve with plusnet pro? /\/\/\
James
Grafter

Hiya,
If your speeds were as a result of the Supanet network, then I suspect that you will definitely see improved speeds once you've moved over to us Smiley
ITFCdan
Grafter

Hi , that was a quick reply Smiley
I don't know what else it could be other than PUPANET , I hope at least my ping improves , my gaming life depends on it!!!
James
Grafter

I imagine that your ping will be fairly similar, but that depends on whether or not Supanet use interleaving on their lines.
Either way, I'll happily have a look when you come over Smiley
ITFCdan
Grafter

Cheers.
I'm sure they do use interleaving, do plusnet use fast then?