cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be honest now....

Firejack
Grafter

Be honest now....

Which staff member "borrowed" all the game servers from work today? They all seem to of vanished!  Shocked
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Be honest now....

They're on their way to London!
This should give additional resliliency and performance.  so it's really a good thing and just in time for the LAN party Smiley
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

They are getting moved today down to London.
Here's the status notice http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1191941127.htm
Firejack
Grafter

That explains it. Must of missed that service announcement yesterday. There was quite a few of them!
Erm.. I thought the game servers where already in London? If I dig around my Email I'm sure I can find a message from Josh a few years ago saying they were being moved.... Here it is:

Sent: 24 February 2006 12:00
To: gamesadmin@plus.net
Subject: Games Server Platform Maintenance - Monday 24th Feb

Guys,
This is going out to all the people who run games servers for me. Early Monday morning, the 24th Feb, we will be moving the  games network. The work is necessary as we will be moving one of our offices soon and all the servers hosted there are being moved. The servers are being moved to one of our Colo's in London which means there will be a 6-8 hour outage - although because of the time this will only really affect our international visitors and insomniacs.
Now I'm confused! Or actually this could explain why the servers died last July. Maybe they were moved from London back to Sheffield Huh If so I hope you are collecting the air miles for the game servers as they deserve a nice holiday with all this travelling Tongue

Are we getting any upgrades to the servers such as hardware or newer versions of Linux by any chance? Smiley
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's the new servers that are being moved down to London, the older ones are already there. They may be getting moved between suites IIRC.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Firejack
Grafter

Whats the difference between the new and old servers?
Firejack
Grafter

Seems the older servers are back online. I can access the ones I run Smiley
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Cool
*goes off to check the new servers*
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.