cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battefield: Bad Company PS3 - Lag too bad to play!

James
Grafter

Re: Battefield: Bad Company PS3 - Lag too bad to play!

I think you're being a little unfair.  We are trying to help you - You've had a phonecall from me along with various posts over yesterday and today.
Regardless of whether or not the DLink router will allow you to change the MTU, the different between an MTU of 1492 and 1500 should be neglible.  I personally use an MTU of 1430 and have no gaming issues on either Wii or XBOX and my speeds are fine.
Again, let's see what improvements you see on your line with interleaving turned off and if that hasn't helped we'll look at what we can do next.
Not applicable

I don't participate in gaming but have been watching both threads by the OP.
I am astonished at his vitriol - it seems to me that James and other staff, along with fellow forum users have gone out of their way to help him. I know of no other organisation that would go to these lengths. Judging by the number of ISPs that he has had in the past I think that there is a distinct possibility that he will never be suited.
However important gaming is to people it is just that - a game.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Ther must have been something wrong with O2 or you wouldnt have left them,  I know the phome service centre is UK, but thought the Broadband was elsewhere
James
Grafter

Glasgow & Leeds afaik.
scootie
Grafter

i can see turning interleaving off improving things a great deal 4 you. but I still think there is a problem in your setup some where.
Have you tried puting the ps3 into dmz? if so what efect did it have?
are you wireless or cabled upto your router?
is the router the same one used on the countless other isp's or its a plusnet one?
have you tried i diffrent router to see if this solves things?
you just need to start a process of finding the fault starting at the ps3 end working your way to the router.
with pn staff commenting on this i presume they have had a look at your line stats from there end and seein nothing that would cause problems apart from them offering to turn interleaving off(which i might add you dont get a choice to do this on O2's network its on and stays on no matter how much you badger the cs guys)
if you havent tried dmz i would give it ago as a big fan of ps3 adiweoo uses this. and as said currently there no attacks on games consoles ports so far.
iam on option 3 because i need the 30gb and dont use my pc to game and dont need top priotiy on all my traffic and have no problems at all with XBL and previous posters have said they are on the old packages no longer avalable to new customers and there ps3's run fine.
i know it furstarting when are tech toys arent working right but the more info on your setup ect you post and less time venting anger will give people the info they neeed to solve this one for you and less venting means that people will be more willing to help to.
comment for adiewoo= from a simpletons view a quick fix for this problem would be get an XBOX Grin and use the ps3 as a fancy blueray player Wink
p.s i hope this isnt one of those simple fix's ie you go though all the tech stuff to find out its that they have it on wireless and have the console in a inclosed shelfin unit Crazy. happended to me a few times on here
edit=OMG didnt read his last post right to end till now.
plusnet go the extra 1000s of miles to keep there customers happy. gaming is priotized 24/7 unlike other isp's that give you gaming traffic the same respect as p2p. then theres the interleaving off option with pn. for being loyal to the company they offer there customers reductions in bills ect. not a plain old 3 month speacil offer to get you signed up with( all thoe i belive they now do this i think as to be returned in cheap search results on compare sites as other isp's do this to be top of the list which put a gun to pn's head to follow suit).
any way if your not happy and look like the kinda guy that will never be happy. i offer you one last bit of advice move to bethere they offer interleaving off but hum o2 own them now and are slowly fastly flushing there repution and network down the toliet so good luck.
personaly i would stay here where things get fixed and alot of the time even when the problem is on your home network which is nothing to do with PN but as you are inpatient move isp and shot your self in the foot.
p.s you say other members of your comuinty are wanting to know how you get on here as they are having problems with there isp's. says it all that.
to any one thinking of moving to plusnet and see this guys post i surregst you look at the many happy customers here and the fact that plusnet staff post on there forum constantly. i have even had staff help me on forum at 2am. which is top notch service to me
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Egz0001
The router in use may not support ip fragments, and the communication of some game features may be restricted and to contact router manufacturer.

I have seen this message prior to tonight while I had my (now) old router (Cisco 837) and interestingly tonight after installing my new router (Cisco 877W).
The reason on the old router was down to some IPS signature for 'ping of death attack', if I had the IPS engine running I'd see this message after doing a connection test on the PS3 but it never seemed to effect my online gaming.
The reason (it seems) I have seen the message tonight is some issue with running NAT and ip virtual-reassembly on a BVI interface (created to bridge the radio interface to the IP interface), by disabling the ip virtual-reassembly the message no longer appears after doing a connection test on the PS3.
So I'd say the message is being generated due to some 'feature' on your router and what ever the PS3 is doing during a connection test (I will get a capture of this to look at what it is doing), that said I never had issues with lag etc but it might be the cause.
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Are you using wireless or wired, have you tried both?
scootie
Grafter

nice one CN ;). off to ladbrooks to put a £50 bet on that no other isp would give that sort of tech help.
Egz0001
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
I don't participate in gaming but have been watching both threads by the OP.
I am astonished at his vitriol - it seems to me that James and other staff, along with fellow forum users have gone out of their way to help him. I know of no other organisation that would go to these lengths. Judging by the number of ISPs that he has had in the past I think that there is a distinct possibility that he will never be suited.
However important gaming is to people it is just that - a game.

As ive metioned in previous threads that james has been of help and he even phoned me when i was having difficulty i was sure that didnt need to be said again and ive also said thanks to the forum guys for there help too
I purchased an online gaming package which was supposed to be for my games console at a cost of £20 and a free trial for 90 days(not including router)
It included a static ip and assistance in setting me up.

At the time most of what id been promised didnt come and i was then told that if i leave i will have to pay them more money which i wasnt told about when i signed up , on top of that i had a connection that didnt work and it was costing me money to phone them up to help me get my line up and running and they kept telling me different things each time i phoned.
You obviously have had a nice experience with then, I hadnt untill i spoke to James,I am still unhappy but im still trying to make my connection work.
You obviously dont know how i have been delt with since being with them, if it wasnt for the guys trying to help me i wouldnt even be writing this message.
As for being satisfied , i was with O2 but i got offered a better deal and a better connection so i thought id try it.
As you said you dont know gaming so you dont now what your talkin about when talkin about lag. For an online gamer lag is an important thing, if you where paying for something that you wernt getting would you be happy, think not. As for other post ill get back to you when ive had some sleep.
On the off chance i may upset someone else, Thanks again everyone who has tryed to help me with my connection, and im still tryin and hope that when its sorted out i will be able to help someone else who needs it with some advise.
Egz0001
Grafter

Quote from: ASBO
nice one CN ;). off to ladbrooks to put a £50 bet on that no other isp would give that sort of tech help.

And to think i thought you where trying to be helpful.
i had several isp's in the past and some have been good for the purpose they where being used for and some not so much.
When your gettin free tech support then thats helpful as far as im conserned , if you get some good advise then all well and good.
The best ive had ive already covered in my previous rants, i just expected more from the numerious phone calls ive made ,all the help ive had is from james and these threads, although it has been very helpful it has been limited, two posts didnt have much advice on helping with my situation at all though.
scootie
Grafter

sry for the rant earlyer. just got in from work and wrote the 1st bit on things to try then read your last post fully and saw red mist Crazy and went on a rant.
sry if you have had a bad exprince with PN so far. but my self have had no major problems at all with PN. my xbl is 99.9% lag free the whole year an half i have bein with them. and the 0.01% is most likely a rubish host and not pn's network.
maybe gettin a wireshark capture is the best next step to take and pass the capture file on to  _CN_ or a forum member that understands them fully. ive used wireshark myself to help solve a nat problem when i use to hook my xbox to my pc upstairs to use its wireless adapter and worked out port fowarding was never going to work right with ICS and had to bridge the 2 network cards.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml

Egz0001
Grafter

I think it may be a good idea getting myself a new router ,one that ive used before.
My error message has gone and i connect via nat 2, I had a lynksys N router that i used with cable and it improved the game play at the time. But as i couldnt use it for the asdl connection i had to take it back to the shop to get a refund.
You can change your line on O2 to Annex m or ASDL2+ they dont do fastpath though. ASDL2+ seemed to work better though.
I think the Xbox uses a different type on comunication to the PS3 and Xbox have regional locked servers i think, i used to habve an xbox but it died with the ring otf death and there customer support wasnt to hot about it so i got myself a PS3, even though they offered to fix it for free on the internet they still wanted me to pay £90 anyway.
I am using my ps3 wired and have tried these setups:
Ps3 auto setup with UPNP enabled and Disabled
Ps3 with static IP with UPNP enabled and disabled Inside the DHCP and Outside the DHCP
PS3 in the DMZ with UPNP enabled and Disabled inside the DHCP and outside the DHCP
Ps3 with portforwarding with UPNP enabled and Disabled Inside the DHCP and outside the DHCP
I have also tried these settings when my line had interleaving on it too, all tests where done connecting my router to the Engineers test socket with no phone extention connected.
I have even tried to rule out interfeerence with the wirless controller by connecting it wired too.
I am trying all the options open to me to get this to work better but cant say ive noticed any difference to any of the setups up to now. If anyone has any suggestions then please feel free to put your 1p worth in. As im running out of options.
I have aslo tried various combiniation of the check boxes in the QOS screen too.
It seems to be a bit hit or miss with isp's depending on your location, i tried the Virgin 20 meg connection when my 10 wasnt working and found the 20 meg much worse for me, although a friend of mine gets 18-20 meg down and 700 up all the time, the best i could get was 0.5 -26 meg up and 200 - 400 up. I had several engineers come out but all that they could tell me was that the exchange was overutilised at 35% and they will fix it, when it was fixed i had the same issues and was told that it was down to a busy exchange at the times i play online and there is nothing i could do about it.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

comment for adiewoo= from a simpletons view a quick fix for this problem would be get an XBOX  and use the ps3 as a fancy blueray player

What and pay for all the hidden extras like HD player, wireless adapter and online play just to get your console slightly nearer the technological superiority of the PS3  Tongue  Wink
Glad everyones got frosty again  Cool I'm following this post with interest, my eyes were opened I though I had the ports covered. I had added the usual ports and the gaming just as a precaution but wasn't sure if they needed to be, problem being I'm running out of spare enrties in my router for opening ports so I perhaps might need to go down the route of DMZing my PS3 on my wiresless or setting it up on a totally independant hard wire using the free one port router I got sent with PN. It would just mean having to change the plug over at the socket when I was hardcore gaming.
AFAIK my setting are right other than the PS3 is on wireless and in another room, I occasionly get lag in BFBC but as this is intermittant I guess that the lag would be due to the game and not PN as it would be happening most times if PN.
I am also on Pro package so as I don't know what a MTU is or any of the other tech jargon from previous posts it must be pure luck if the game works for me.
Hope you get this sorted I have no PS3 friends on BFBC  Smiley
PSN:AWB70
Egz0001
Grafter

Ive had a few suggestions made by james to try ,and hope i get it sorted too,
i have had one good speed test reading today and im frightened to run the test again incase it isnt as good.
Glad that someone with pro is running good, cant believe your using wirless too. If its this good for you then im sure it would get better hard wired surley.
What sort of speed tests do you do and what where they if you dont mind me asking ?  What if you can recal are your router settings ,just ports opened ?
Do you use UPNP enabled on both ps3 and router while you port forward ?
scootie
Grafter

did fastpath make any diffrence for you.
what ping time you now getting when you do a tracert to bbc.co.uk by using cmd prompt?