Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Wii Discs

dgreen007
Grafter

Re: Backing up Wii Discs

I never knew that, what a great idea.
Can they guarantee to fix a cracked or chipped one.
Yes I know what you're thinking but believe me with three boys fighting over them it's inevitable....
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Cracked or chipped I don't think so, because it's the foil on the top of the CD that has the data etched into it. If any of that is gone then it can't be recreated unfortunately. What the repair machines do is melt the plastic surface on the bottom of the cd slightly and then polish it smooth again so the laser doesn't skip when it's reading.
(I bought a pretty rare game (parappa the rapper 2!) that was scratched and didn't play, when  I took it back the bloke offered an alternative game as they didn't have any more copies. I was reluctant to swap so he offered the repair service instead for free so I took him up on it after asking how it did it's thing. The game came back working like a charm, so I can highly recommend it.)
Hope that helps,
Method0ne
Grafter

Quote from: MuppetGrinder
Point 3 - it is perfectly legal to create a backup copy of any media that you have purchased, up to a maximum of two backups per purchased item.  [snip]

While the backup section holds true, EU law states that it is in fact illegal to circumvent any kind of DRM/Copy protection routine, which nowadays means that to create and use your legally and lawfully entitled backup, you're breaking the law to do so since you either had to circumvent the protection to copy it, or you had to to play it.
Just an FYI.
David_W
Rising Star

As stated above, it is illegal just to have the ability to copy copyright protected discs under the Trademarks and Copyrights Act, in fact some fella from Cardiff was arrested recently for having devices capable of copying DS carts.
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/12/22/cardiff_ds_copy_kit_raid/
So I don't think there is any legal grey area, having the ability to copy, and or copying, even for back up, is illegal (not unlawful like downloading music).
fceluk
Grafter

Quote from: dgwebb
it is illegal just to have the ability to copy copyright protected discs under the Trademarks and Copyrights Act

I would suggest not unless the copying facilities had no other possible purpose then to produce illegal replicas.
David_W
Rising Star

You could be quite right there, equipment to copy DS carts have one purpose, although if memory serves me correctly, it was made illegal to purchase the chips needed to chip a PS2?  So any equipment which makes it possible to circumvent copy-protection is possibly illegal/unlawful?
dgreen007
Grafter

Quote from: dgwebb
So any equipment which makes it possible to circumvent copy-protection is possibly illegal/unlawful?

If the intention was to then sell the copy to someone where monies were exchanged then yes, that is deemed illegal.
However, it is legal to make backups purely for one's own use as long as the backup does not leave the premises so to speak
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

OK, seems some of us are getting a little carried away with ourselfs over this copy protection thing.  If you are honestly of the opinion that simply having the capacity to create a backup is against the law then how many people out there have a CD/DVD burner in their PC that would effectivly put them in that catagory?  Get a grip please.  The prohibition to circumvent copy protection pertains predominantly to the use of "crack" software.  Efectivly the unlawfull altertation of, or tampering with, a retail data product where by the end user, while lacking full or proper licensing or ownership rights changes one or more aspect of the data product or it's behaviour is what you're not allowed to do.
The did try and make the PS2 chips illegal, but it was denied.  Of cource, all the news reports shouted out that they were trying to make the use of chips illegal and the consiquences of anyone being caught with one should the law pass, but then the verdict was a whispered footnote on an unread page.  Fear sells.  It's that simple.
Look at the "Swap Magic" system that provides a sowftware eqivelent to the effects of the chip for the PS2.  It is a commercialy available piece of software that has not been challenged by Sony at all.  It even states on the front page of the website that it enables you to play backups.
The fact remains, the creation and use of backup products is a right that everyone is entitled to, regadless of how paranoid and guilty the media tries to make us feel about it.
Happy New Year
dgreen007
Grafter

Thanks MuppetGrinder.
So my next question would be.... what 'tools' do I need to set up the Wii so that i can backup my games.
Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Gentlemen,
I am sorry but I am getting very twitchy about the way this thread is developing.
As many of you already appreciate giving advice on how to bypass copy protection is, if not completely illegal, certainly in very murky territory.
If anyone is interested this site gives some background http://www.fact-uk.org.uk/
As such I am locking the thread
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim) Thread locked ]