cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BF3 server time outs

harps1h
Grafter

BF3 server time outs

This is becoming a more regular occurrence over the last few weeks. I am just playing away and then I am disconnected with the message "connection to server timed out". It is quite random with no time period where it is most likely to happen. Take just now I had just logged in the DDD rush server and within 60 secs I was kicked with the above message. It also happened on Monday night when I was timed out as soon as I joined the server, and repeatedly so for three times. So has anyone else having the problem or am I the only one?
27 REPLIES 27
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: BF3 server time outs

does it happen during the day?  or only in the evening?
PC or Console?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
harps1h
Grafter

morning day and night and it is PC of course the only way to play
Kelly
Hero

any problems with any other games?  Got the IPs for the servers so you can run some traces?
Kelly Dorset
harps1h
Grafter

yeah  i can get all those but also getting a lot of lag on Fifa 13 as well. for now bed and i will get all tomorrow
prichardson
Grafter

Hi Harps1h,
We are aware of something that may cause lower than expected Battlefield 3 performance on the PC, which would include the symptoms you are reporting. However, the product you are on is as such, that these problems are mitigated.
This could be something more generic of the product as a result, such as a fault which we are having a look at as well.
Is Fifa on the PC as well?
Again, your account selection should also mean that even if something is wrong with how we handle this game normally, it should be mitigated.
Some generic questions. Have you ensured you have closed all other applications on your machine and tried to avoid transfer from others devices you have?
Are you using wireless or wired?
If wireless, have you tried wired?
Do you suffer from any general speed issues, changes in recent speeds or other quirks in performance?
I would appreciate if you can complete a BT Speedtest, so that we can check a few of the background bits it generates too.
harps1h
Grafter

I have a wired connection and all games are PC (consoles are for kiddies and the great unwashed.....lol). Tonight playing Fifa online I was suffering several heavy lag spikes leading to the game jumping to catch up. No other application are running apart from services and I run my games on minimum specs to attain a better frame rate. My system is an i5 2500k, 8mb ram and a 6970 2gb ram video card, so the system is more then capable of running any of these games even at full spec. Currently having problems getting a test as it is throwing up errors.
Edit: Download speedachieved during the test was - 16.39 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 19.68 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.5 Mbps
PS. I am really annoyed that despite my exchange being enabled and my cabinet sitting outside of the exchange 440mters from my house, I cannot get fibre. Nobody seems able to tell me when or if my cabinet will be enabled.

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.5Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I dunno whats happening to PN  Embarrassed  just lately, but for some reason gaming has gone west  Cry especially since the gateway imbalance a few weeks ago .
Alto my fibre has not been so bad just the odd hiccup  Wink  summat is amiss Please PN bring back the Good gaming ISP you were before  Kiss
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Kelly
Hero

I don't understand either.  There does seem to be something amiss.
It's possible we have a piece of network kit which isn't working well and we haven't spotted it.  Can you guys help us out by updating us with when your gaming is both GOOD and BAD and let us know which gateways which you are connected to and provide traceroutes to the gaming servers.  Hopefully we'll spot a pattern in all the bad results.
Kelly Dorset
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

HI kelly  Wink i am on  ptn-ag02. at the mo & is running fine , to be honest its worse on evenings and its not just one gateway in particular , i find that some evenings i have to hop gateways twice to find a decent one
prichardson
Grafter

Thanks Rongtw,
Keep logging the detail anyway.
Nothing to suggest there is, but there is a feasibility that you could get on a second "problematic" (phrased as such as the cause is yet unknown, i.e. may not just be congestion) when reconnecting. Our physical network setup also means that it's possible to get back on the same gateway without any problems.
Logging the detail can help us look at the overall gateway data, and sub-modules of it in finding a pattern.
As Kelly says, the reports have all the hallmarks that something is happening, but with the volume of data we have access to, we are not strictly going to pro-actively find a cause. Right now we only have theories, but need your help to ensure we are not barking up the wrong tree.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

a quick question ? is it just me or ,,, sometimes when i check which gateway it seams to have Hopped itself  Huh is it possible
prichardson
Grafter

Whilst broadband is termed as always-on, drops in the PPP connection are par for the cause. The nature of the network type, especially when served on mass, means that connections "will be seen", but not specifically "expected".
This simply means you have had a disconnection without you prompting it in any way, such as a reboot or use of a disconnect.
It's not possible for your session to suddenly jump gateways without loss of the PPP link to your router.
If your connection counter suggests it is greater than on our side, this may indicate a reporting issue in the router. Whilst this could be classed as a bug, it doesn't strictly mean it's faulty (unless reporting accuracy is a must for you)
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

ptn-ag02.  Wink good all night
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

ptn-ag02. still ok  Smiley