cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful lag on PS3

scootie
Grafter

Re: Awful lag on PS3

that will be the pc version most likely. This belkin has a list of games but no xbox, ps3. the upnp is doing its job on the belkin for the xbox but the ps3 does tend use slightly diffrent ports on some games
silverstream
Dabbler

Quote from: ASBO
my netgear v4 died last night so iam in mourning at the mo.
the rubbish belkin i stupidly brought today has a dmz option but so far i havent found the option to give a mac address the same ip each time so dmz is a no go on this belkin at the mo.
so if the belkin has dmz iam sure the speedtouch's do. you sure its not hidding under a diffrent name/ title like router makers seem to like doing thinking the new menu title makes it easier for users to know whats what (NOT).

I use a belkin router with ps3 in dmz you need to manuly assin a ip adress to the ps3 then add that to the dmz of the router
instructions taken from another forum i use are below, hope this helps i followed them and it worked for me Smiley

The setup that works best for me and still is relatively safe is putting your PS3 in the demilitarized zone (DMZ) of your router. Basically without a firewall.
This sounds very drastic and unsecure however it's anything but that.
First set up the PS3
Open the network settings page on your XMB and choose custom setup
Leave everything on automatic except for "Assign IP address" put this on manual;
- Now begin with manually assigning a fixed IP address to your PS3. This is basically the IP addres of your router just the last x.x.x.1 you change into something that isn't used. For most setups this would be .3 (e.g. 192.168.1.3)
- The gateway address (the IP address of your router)
- Then you fill out the subnet mask manually; 255.255.255.0
- And last but not least the Primary DNS address, also the IP address of your router.
After you have done this you can do the connection test and see if your PS3 still connects to the internet. If it doesn't there probably is a typo in one of the addresses.
The last part is telling router which IP address to put in the DMZ (or Exposed host as it is called on some routers). This can usually be found in the firewall settings of the router. Enter the IP address you've used for your PS3 and enable the DMZ (usually by checking a checkbox next to the IP address).
Save the settings and reboot the router. Do the same for your PS3. When you test the connection again the NAT type should give you type 2. (That is in the majority of configurations).
This type of setup will ensure that the PS3 always be fully accessible via the internet without relying on automatic mechanisms or manual addition of network ports.
Two final notes on security; One, as I've said it sounds drastic that your PS3 is completely open on the internet, but all logon traffic is encrypted and the PS3 itself is yet to be remotely hacked. It's a long story really but it boils down to being safer than having a firewalled unix desktop on the internet. Two, if you are going to use Linux on your PS3 in this setup I do advice setting up a local firewall on the Linux installation.
scootie
Grafter

That sounds like your router may still be giving any other devices the ip address your ps3 is set to use on its settings as from what i read you havent told the belkin router to allways give the ps3 mac address the same ip and never give it out to any other devies when the ps3 is switched off.
The only thing i can see on my belkin n150 to insure the same ips are reseverd for each mac address is this in the capture.
The forever option dosent fill me with cofindnce as it give's me no /little control which mac address is assigned which ip.
so i changed the dhcp ip pool up to 3 and set my xbox settings on static 2 to make sure no pc's get the dmz ip
silverstream
Dabbler

sorry should have mentioned that i too changed the pool adresses to exclude the ps3 so it didnt give it out to any other device,
although with the forever option ticked once a device has been assigned an address it seems to keep it even when the router has been off a while then switched back on again.  Smiley
scootie
Grafter

belkin's setup option's make feel like a primary school kid again ( only allowed to use plastic paper scissors)
the netgears give you so much more info and more advanced setup options.
hope you find the right setup soon wolf to give you completely lag free gaming. if you cant my best advice is get your self the king of all consoles Wink
wolfhowl
Grafter

....Well i already have ps3?  Unless of course you meant the next one down...ps2?  You cant mean the xbox surely?  Red ring of death?  modded controllers? Have to pay to play online?  need i continue the list?
But nah seriously.  I used to own one, cant remember why i got rid of it honestly.  I think it was cause all my mates were getting/had the ps3.  Besides, i cant be going through the hassle of prestige-ing again.  I would go as far to say that xbox's online is better in terms of less lag, never had major problems with it.  Probably why its charged for.
Ok, so does anyone know how to find the DMZ section on the speedtouch router?  I cannot for the life of me work out where im going wrong on my netgear, it refuses to let me play without crippling lag.
silverstream
Dabbler

i'm looking for  an answer this to this too mentioned it earlier in my topic about what was the best ps3 setup for plusnet, before it was kindly pointed out to me that you were looking for the same thing .
just goes to show i should read the whole topic before posting an answerer to the last post  Roll_eyes
wolfhowl
Grafter

Hi PN staff.  Is there any update as to wether my interleaving has been turned off yet.  I would check, but not at home at the minute.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
I've had to replace this manually for you, but it should now complete tomorrow.
wolfhowl
Grafter

Brilliant, cheers Jameseh, did the button request not go through then?
ASBO,  can i ask, whats the difference between interleaving and fastpath?  sounds like fastpath is a better option, is it available for me?
scootie
Grafter

its really the same thing. i think your under the impression that its 2 completly diffrent products.
the 2 options are
1 interleaving on
2 interleaving off (aka fastpath)
some info here on interleaving and fastpath modes http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/interleaving.htm
James
Grafter

Technically there's 3 options.
1 - Off (This means off)
2 - Auto (This means kinda on)
3 - On (This means on)
silverstream
Dabbler

just requested last night that it is turned off on my line but can you elaborate on option 2 Auto how would this work ?
James
Grafter

We place all orders with interleaving as set to "auto".
It's as good as being on as far as you'll be concerned.
scootie
Grafter

yeah forgot auto but i was under the impression that the op thought fastpath was somthing totaly diffrent to interleving off Wink