Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful lag on PS3

wolfhowl
Grafter

Awful lag on PS3

Ha, didnt think i would stay away too long did you Tongue
well step 2 of my journey.  I have a netgear wired DG834 modem router connected to a filter to my phone socket in my room.  Now via ethernet i have hardwired my ps3.  Now my ADSL is still in its 10 day training period.  And i havent edited any of the default settings on my router.  I have also requested interleaving be turned off via my member centre, did that last night so should take another 12 hours or something?
Anyhow, my lag on PS3 is really shocking.  Cod4 i havent killed anyone yet.  My games have gone (k:d) 0:7, 0:10, 0:3, 0,4, 2:5...and im not really bad before you say it Tongue (however i often get 3 bars in every game  Undecided ).  it takes ages to join a game, never used to before.  GTA 4 is the same, can never connect to anyone, i dont even dare pes 2009, the world would probably end if i tried connect to that in the situation im in now.
Now ive looked on the router, its different to my wireless one. On that one i could open/forward ports, but this one doesnt seem to have that option...maybe its called something else.
I should also let you know.  Im happy to release all security measures on my router, open every port, dmz etc if it will help.  I can just shove my pc onto the wireless network to go online...there havent been any ps3 hackers as far as im aware  Undecided
Also the router i got comes with both an SPI firewall and a NAT firewall.. I can only imagine they are partly to blame?
42 REPLIES 42
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Awful lag on PS3

Have you put your PS3 in the DMZ?
How many green connection bars are on your connection mid game?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
wolfhowl
Grafter

No, as i said, all options have been untouched.  If you could link me to, or explain how to put it in DMZ, i would be grateful.
Connection bars are at 3 almost always.
I must also mention, my router seems to be blocking all incoming traffic.  I have had a look for setup guides for ps3 with the DG834, but to no avail.
http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredRouters/RP614.aspx?detail=Related+Products ; that is what i have...seems like a bad choice as that looks really stuck up about security  Sad
dvorak

Did you mean this? http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredRouters/DG834.aspx
Customer / Moderator
wolfhowl
Grafter

Hm, actully yeh you are right there.  but the picture is different to the on i have  Undecided
dvorak

Under WAN setup in your routers interface you should be able to put the IP address of the PS3 in.
Customer / Moderator
scootie
Grafter

you need to make sure that your router gives out the same ip address to your ps3 every time.
to do that switch you ps3 on.
then log in to your router on your pc and go to LAN IP SETUP click ADD under address reservation and you should get a list of attached devices pick the one that is your ps3 and click add.
your ps3 should get the same ip now.
then do as adeiwoo said go to wan and input your ps3 ip address into the dmz
what version of dg834 do you have? mines v4 but if you've been out and brought that to get up and running quicker than waiting for replacment router from PN then i would think its a v5. but the menus should be same any way
dvorak

I don't think it's a wireless model, it's just the modem / router - not sure if it follows the same versioning.
Customer / Moderator
scootie
Grafter

okey dokey.
just make sure the same ip is given to the ps3 every time other wise your routers firewall will be turned off to that ip address if its given to your pc
wolfhowl
Grafter

ok done that, not really much change, even after rebooting router.
should i connect my ps3 using manual settings, or stay at auto.  interleaving should be going off soon as well.  would it be easier/better for lag to use the router PN sent me?
UPDATE: I have just tried Plusnets router...and its alot better... K:D on cod4 during a game = 46:6  Cheesy
I must be going wrong somewhere on my netgear router.
Also could i request a PN staff member could kindly let me know when my interleaving is switched off, i hope just that extra will make it completely smooth, and mean i dont get 6 deaths, lol  Cool .  Thank you!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Haha, I see you've got busy over here, plenty of knowledgeable folk who can help out with any settings etc. You'll get ribbed by the Xboxers as you've discovered, but I expect you and other PS3ers'll find a few digs back.
I've posted on you connection thread, but I'll just remind you here, try and keep things a stable as possible for the first 10 days. Keep reboots/disconnects to an absolute minimum, no more than say 5 in an hour then I'd leave it alone for the day.
If you want to Gateway hop don't re-boot to do it, I think there's a Connect/Disconnect button on the interface, but I don't know the Speedtouch and haven't read the manual (not had time) I'm sure someone who knows can confirm. If you use your Netgear, check for similar.
scootie
Grafter

at times tho anotherone i feel like the only xboxer on the forum surrounded by a load of  Crazy people with ps3's
wish the two consoles would inter connect so i could take all the ps3'ers on single handed in a match on cod Grin
have you put a ticket in then wolf to have interleaving switched off?
if so and its been actoined depending when you put the ticket in. but having a guess you was to late for friday morning so most likely will be done monday morning at about 2am. no reboot of router is needed to pick the new setting up it will resync on its own.
theres a few ways to tell if you interleaving is on or off. depending what your router allow's you to do.
the most universal why is to just do a command promt ping or tracert
your looking for around 10-20ms to bbc.co.uk for fast path on interleaved your looking at an extra 20-30ms on top of those fastpath pings
C:\Users\> ping bbc.co.uk
Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.254.252] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.254.252: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=249
Ping statistics for 212.58.254.252:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 16ms
wolfhowl
Grafter

Didn't put a tocket in as such...i pressed the little "turn off interleaving" button in my account page on PN.  Now the option has dissapeared so im guessing the request has gone through.
Now onto my netgear router, and even after putting my ps3 in DMZ etc, i cannot for the life of me play a game without lag.  I have no idea whats going on there.  Now on the other hand, the speedtouch is ok.  granted sometimes i get a bit miffed when i clearly sniped someone in the head, and it doesnt hit, but eh.  I tried looking for DMZ options and such, couldnt see any.  Anyone know how to configure a speedtouch to give my ps3 the best lag free gaming, DMZ etc etc.  Smiley
scootie
Grafter

my netgear v4 died last night so iam in mourning at the mo.
the rubbish belkin i stupidly brought today has a dmz option but so far i havent found the option to give a mac address the same ip each time so dmz is a no go on this belkin at the mo.
so if the belkin has dmz iam sure the speedtouch's do. you sure its not hidding under a diffrent name/ title like router makers seem to like doing thinking the new menu title makes it easier for users to know whats what (NOT).
wolfhowl
Grafter

ive looked, nothing that looks remotely like dmz.  i completely disabled its firewall, and theres options of adding games,  huge list pops up, call of duty is in there...not sure if that includes cod4 for ps3, and not sure what difference it will make?  but yeh, couldnt see any dmz option.  I added that cod game anyway just for the heck of it  Tongue