cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Orange NAT ???

Razer
Grafter

Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Orange NAT ???

Oh that all pertains to xbox (blimey, talk about cookie flood when you go to xbox.com) so that's where their focus is. I don't use any game consoles. Thanks anyway, Purleigh.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you are missing the point.
Games consoles are just as likely to have NAT, firewall, uPnP, port forwarding, and DMZ  issues as your PC.
You don't specifically need to find a solution that exactly matches your setup, you need to find a solution that is applicable to ANY gaming platform that overcomes the problem you are having with your router.  Look on those forums for solutions for your TG582n router.
If the answer is to buy a gaming router, then you can search for solutions and suggestions for other gaming platforms (such as Xbox, etc).
Does this answer work for you ? - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,109026.0.html
Razer
Grafter

"I think you are missing the point"
I think I may well be, I just can't see it. You say '... that is applicable to ANY gaming platform ...' I have absolutely no idea of such things and how would I know? I know a lot about computers, but there's a lot about computer that I have no clue about. This stuff is such an example. How can I know what is and is not applicable to any gaming platform? Much of it is like reading Chinese to me. All I see is say a thread where people are talking about configuring things for xbox/playstation and I can only think 'oh well that doesn't apply to me' so I close it. For the most part I have no idea what I can pick out from a page that may help me. Or I sometimes think well that page says 'do A, B & C and ports X, Y & Z for your [xbox/playstation]' and so I think, well X, Y & Z are not the PC ports so A, B & C must not apply either (or I can't knowledgeably state with confidence that they could). Sometimes I may fiddle with complete unknowing, taking a chance to see, but I am in the dark and not at all comfortable with what I am doing. For all I know I could be doing the worst thing in the world.
Take the example of the link you just give.
I look at it and see it pertains to consoles, so I have the reaction just said. Given what you've said, then, I now pause and think, well what can I find. It talks about 'for wireless connection', so I then think 'well I don't use wireless so these settings can't apply to me, I shouldn't follow them because they're a different set-up'. It's consoles AND wireless, two things now saying nothing to do with my set-up. Anyway, I try to press on, given what we're talking about, and it says:
"Gaming mode -  ON / OFF"
OK, this is something that applies to me and I have gaming mode on. So that's the same, but I only know to give a 'yes' to that from experience that I need it on or the game won't function, mostly.
"NAT - ON / OFF"
Oh, this is news to me. NAT can be turned on or off? Huh I just presume this NAT thing is on. I don't know where you fiddle with that or that I should. I only have a feeling that even if it's possible that I shouldn't turn it off.
"NAT Extended Security - ON / OFF"
Right, it's the phrase 'Extended Security' which is familiar to me, and just from posts I've seen on this forum I have turned OFF Extended Security in my router, the tick box right under 'Use uPnP' (which I also disable). I did this to test if it made any difference to things. Alas, I got so bogged down since doing that I can't remember if it has or not. lol
"Can also assign static IP addresses"
I am lost with this part. I've seen somewhere in the router interface about this, I think, but I just don't understand it and haven't touched it.
Anyway, the next guy replies with:
"... there is no need to perform any port forwarding / game assignment. Gaming mode takes care of this for you."
This I know to be false, from direct experience. I've read other people saying it on this forum, and have also read staff members saying it, but it is not true. If I do not enable gaming mode AND port forwarding most of the time my game will not function, will not connect. Yes, it doesn't make sense because game mode enabled happens to include the ports for my game (I have come to discover), but that's the way it works. (At least, I'm talking about ACB with this because that's when I started to have to do all this head hurty stuff.)
I don't know what else I can get from that page.
What I HAVE come to learn from a number of posts on this forum is that the PN supplied router patently does not work and often simply ignores settings selected/changed by the user, and just does what it wants when it wants. I AM and have been minded to look for another router and have been intending to post a thread to ask for advice about that.
You know those occasions where you are at home and you are stood near an open window bemusedly watching a fly repeatedly hitting the glass as it tries to escape. You note the opening just to the right of the fly with ease and think why can't it see something so obvious, just move to the side you stupid fly? I am the fly. Cheesy
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think the "Extended Security" only affects what a device is allowed to do via UPnP: if it is allowed to connect/disconnect the Internet connection, and create port mappings to IP addresses other that its own.
It looks like one of the things enabling game mode does it that the router goes through all the UDP port forwarding rules and does "connection bind application=CONE(UDP)" for each port. So maybe it could make a difference if game mode was enabled before or after the port forwarding rules were added, because the configuration is changed at the time of enabling or disabling game mode. Or to put it another way, it's the act of enabling game mode that does something, rather than being in game mode.
Razer
Grafter

I kind of see what you're talking about, but my head is just too boggled to get into it right now. I'll reply tomorrow after sleep. Basically in telnet I've noted that game mode seems to take precedence, to override port forwarding, but practically there is still a difference most of the time if I don't enable both.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi Razer,
I've been following your posts for quite a while but I also follow many others and my attention span isn't what it used to be.  Embarrassed
Can you confirm whether you've tried a different router yet (no, not another TG582n, a completely different router)?
I do wonder if some (or more than some) of your problems are down to the TG852n (I've never had one of these so I don't know from experience whether they're as poor as some say).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Razer
Grafter

I have for a long time tended to think the same, w23. I haven't yet tried another. I was intending to open a thread tomorrow in the bb section to seek advice on a good purchase. My brain is a bit too mashed right now to turn my head in that direction.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Bob has an old BT Home Hub he was planning to preconfigure and post you.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Razer
Grafter

^Aw bless him. He's so unbelievably nice, even though I've not made him happy.  Whilst I've been banging my head, that poor guy has been banging his because of me. Embarrassed
@ejs, I said I was going to reply to what you said, and honestly, I forgot. So:
Quote from: ejs
It looks like one of the things enabling game mode does it that the router goes through all the UDP port forwarding rules and does "connection bind application=CONE(UDP)" for each port.

What I've noticed before after checking several times via telnet to see what happens (did this months ago when I was also looking into some of the telnet commands for the router) is that even when I forward ports on the router, as soon as I set game mode, it does the connection bind thing with the same set of ports every time (the game mode port set), and these listings completely override the forwarded ports. That is, forwarded port setttings are apparently wiped, replaced with the 'game mode' ports. Whether that is because the port numbers I forward are already covered by the 'game mode' set of ports, or not, I don't know. This is also why the game not working most of the time if I don't forward the ports is so weird, because they are covered by 'game mode'. Doesn't make sense.
So maybe it could make a difference if game mode was enabled before or after the port forwarding rules were added, because the configuration is changed at the time of enabling or disabling game mode. Or to put it another way, it's the act of enabling game mode that does something, rather than being in game mode.

I did a test earlier today when I first started gaming, remembering what you'd said. So I enabled game mode first, then forwarded the ports. It didn't make any difference to performance. Sure, ACR ran relatively fine, still with the orange NAT, but as soon as I went into the other game, ACB, it was back to the usual I've had. I then tested by disabling all of them and starting again with ports forwarded first, this time, then 'game mode'. Still no difference.
Mathias
Grafter

In summary:
The router is crap as it doesn't remember settings, or has conflicting operations between the various "features". It also isn't explained clearly what these "features" do and what should be done i order to setup the router to work for gaming purposes (whether that be console or pc).
When fibre comes to my area shortly i am looking at getting a new router, considering the negative feedback i've read on the latest Plusnet "offering" (doorstop), as they clearly aren't fit for anything other than the most basic of wired internet use (given that the wireless range and strength is so poor).
Razer
Grafter

"In summary"
Apparently so. Time will tell, I guess.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Kelly
Bob has an old BT Home Hub he was planning to preconfigure and post you.

Just dropped you a PM Razer.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵