Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone running two PS3's?

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Anyone running two PS3's?

Just wondering how you go about it, I have one in the living room mainly for watching iplayer and movies and one I game on in my dining room. How do you go about routing these with statics? I was thinking about DMZ'ing one then manually forwarding ports on the other which a a bit of a PITA.
I guess the only way to keep game saves is to back them up then keep updating the other after I've finished gaming unless anyone knows a quicker way.
3 REPLIES 3
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Re: Anyone running two PS3's?

Sorry to bring this up again but has anyone successfully did it with the Thomson router? There are many attempts out there with different levels of success which all appear to be router specific. Some manage it and some don't which is why I'm asking here as many will have the Thomson router.
My usual route would be DMZ job done but it's different with two ps3's. I'm no expert so any networking people's advice with which should be the best attempt greatly appreciated. My two previous routers a WAG354G Linksys and a BT2700HV business hub had no problems doing this at all and they were rubbish TBH.
The problems are with signing in to PSN on the second wireless PS3. If I use the UPNP route then as soon as I switch on the second PS3 my router logs show that port forwarding has moved to the second machine but I can't sign in to the PSN.
From what I gather from networking sites you are not meant to forward the same ports to two different machines and if I DMZ one machine then forward ports to the other they could be grappling with each other as too which has priority.
I can appreciate Sony may have something set up to prevent people Stat paddding by two people signing in on the same account on different machine and building their score up but I am trying on two different accounts.
There appears to be some success with people using a second router or switch and getting a second IP from their isp but that seems a bit extreme. Surely Sony will at some point realised that there are occasions when there are two ps3's sharing one router.
Any help? 
Pogdin
Dabbler

I got 2 PS3's running atm with no problems......... i aint really technical so probly not gonna be much help, had a quick word with my little bro ( the technical one ) and he says you shouldnt need port forwarding.
Just go down the UPNP route, and make sure your PS3's are set up right for UPNP.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks  Smiley For the moment I have just UPNP both and give them statics and managed to get nat2 on both. The only problem I have is the one on wireless gets signed out from the PSN so due to me not knowing whether it's sony or router related will have to come back to that after further investigation.
I hope someone with a bit more networking experience spots this post and hopefully sheds some light on it, UPNP seems to be an easier option but does come with some risk. Fortunately my family PC is a linux system and doesn't really get affected by trojans and the like as it needs extra work to install and I don't put anything on their unless it came from the secure repository. Only thing at risk is my laptop which I know enough whether to allow access to anything.
That's brings us back to upnp as the solution. The way I see it if I had two PC's in my house both running some application that needed ports open they would run albeit slower. Why PSN logs you out when two are knocked on is a mystery. There are a lot of solutions out there that seem to have an answer but from a networking point of view shouldn't in theory work  Shocked nothing worse than a post saying I have two plugged in and it works fine TRY SHARING YOUR SETTINGS and stop wasting post space  Grin
There are a lot of answers referring to DMZ on and forward ports to the other, this is how my BT2700 was set up and it worked. I don't know why, from what I gather from networking sites it would cause a conflict between the two. I have had people who had this set up and didn't work which only worked when enabling UPNP and vice versa so it seems the router itself plays a big part on whether it's going to work or not.
Some suggestions that seem a bit more realistic are getting a switch to become the router for one ps3, this would involve buying another public ip. Looking at PN's policy extra public ip's are not available with the gaming pro account and would also have the expense of the switch itself.
Another one is putting the router itself into the DMZ in effect bypassing the firewall and opening all ports and turning you router into pretty much a modem. Sounds risky and not knowing that much about networking not sure how effective this would be. Would be good to hear from the networking legends amongst us. This is not PS3 specific and seems to affect all consoles, with xmas coming up and people getting 2nd consoles for family members there should be a definite answer somewhere to this common problem of having multiple consoles on one router.
Or sony should get there fingers out and give multiple ports that can be used for the PSN so people can forward multiple machines without making peoples network vulnerable with UPNP. There are routers you can enable UPNP on certain devices but the Thomson isn't one of them.