cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone here have Pro add on, is it worth it for gaming?

Rapthorne
Rising Star

Anyone here have Pro add on, is it worth it for gaming?

I'm the only one using the connection and I use ethernet, rather than wifi. Does anyone have the pro add on, and has it made your gaming experience better? (lower ping rates, more stable connection, etc)

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4GHz
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1060 6GB
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
Case: Red/Black NZXT S340 Elite
6 REPLIES 6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Anyone here have Pro add on, is it worth it for gaming?

Whilst I've never used the Pro Add-on on my own connection, I've started playing world of warcraft quite a bit now (Epic game), and I haven't felt the need to try the add-on, but then again I do have connection speeds of around 54mbps.

I think it's more useful if you've got slower connection speeds, as it'd be easier to saturate your connection by doing multiple types of tasks simultaneously, compared to someone with fibre where there's generally much more bandwidth available.

The Pro Add-on works in the same way as traffic prioritisation did by prioritising gaming, VPN and FTP traffic over other types such as streaming, P2P'ing or general web browsing.

Unless other people have experiences they can share, it might be worth seeing how your gaming goes without the add-on and if you do experience issues, add it on here. You can always remove it whenever you want, the charge is pro-rata'd.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rapthorne
Rising Star

Yeah, I wanted to get fibre originally, but it never showed as available for me through any ISP I tried, though maybe that was due to the lack of a phone line being installed, as I know my local cabinet is fibre enabled for fttc

I'll see how it goes once my broadband is live and reserve judgement until after the 10 day stability checks
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah sometimes we've got to install a phone line before we're able to order broadband.

Is fibre showing as available when you type your new landline number into the BT checker here?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rapthorne
Rising Star

This is what comes up on searching my phone number:

phonelinebbcheck.png

Our Records indicate that you have a product or service supplied to this line that is currently incompatible with broadband. You will need to have the product or service ceased before broadband can be provided. If you place an order before the incompatible product or service has been ceased then the order will be rejected.

This PCP has a waiters list for FTTC VDSL services. You may place an order which will be dealt with in turn.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

There is an open order on your line which is due to complete by 25-Jan-2018.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 30-Nov-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.

-----

The line was only installed Monday and fully activated Tuesday, however (as in there was no actual physical phone line, new phone line, new drop wire, new everything)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for that. Yeah it looks like there's just no capacity at your cabinet for fibre. It's generally a waiting game, until someone decides they don't want or need their fibre connection anymore, freeing up a port in the cabinet.

Or, extra capacity is added (Usually by installing another cabinet).

For timescales, it might be worth raising an enquiry with Openreach by filling out this form.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Faizan786
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

always helping, good man @Gandalf 👍