Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions?

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Any suggestions?

Hi, just a quick one. Can anyone suggest a free, or reasonably cheap,game to play?
I have played World of Warcraft for about six years and am looking for something different. I like role play (but not the Sims type), combat, FPS.Any combination .
Googling 'free or cheap games' returns too many results all claiming to be fantastic ,so I thought word of mouth may be better.
5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Any suggestions?

Might be some in this thread:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,2052.0.html
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My personal rating, 4/5 warframe.com freeish to play, other than buying weapon and frame slots which you need to gain levels, you can get all items/weapons/frames in game through farming of them.  So if you try it never ever use the free 50 plat on anything but frame slots, as to gain levels or Mastery as its called you need to level up frame and weapons.
A frame gives 6k total Mastery once it hits the cap of 30 and weapons give 3k each.  Note they have to be unique frames/weapons, you can't just re-buy a credit bought weapon and gain more mastery, only the first time around.
It is a fast ish paced third person shooter/hacknslash[mostly shooting] with 4 player co-op.  Graphically it can look very good if your pc can handle it, if not it can still look good if you pc is 5 years old like mine.
But it has one very annoying feature, how it interacts with routers so its crippled with strictnat for a lot of players, the one reason I don't give it a 5/5.  Yes it hates the TG582n with the only option to use DMZ if you want to play anything other than just pugs via auto matchmaking.
3/5 defiance.com is linked to a sy-fi TV series, its a very basic FPS MMO with world events/bosses with drop in rewards, be there are the start and do enough during it you get better rewards than turning up with 30 seconds to the end.  Very short in content and probably why you have never heard of it.
3/5 lotro.com, 2 years ago yes it would have been a recommend as a free game and easily a 4/5 or 5/5, but not so lately.  Turbine the developer got bought by Warner Brothers and the bean counters changed it in a lot of ways spoiling the lord of the Rings Feel
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Thanks guys.  working my way through looking at them. Smiley
hex
Grafter

If you are interested in another MMO game then check out Rift - IMO their free-to-play implementation is one of the better ones and you don't need to spend anything to experience everything in the game. 
My only criticism is that the game does not really take full advantage of multi-core CPUs and performance can be a bit of a problem on large scale events with lots of people around (ie. low fps - rest of the time it is fine though) - they are apparently working on that though so hopefully it will improve. Wink
All4One
Grafter

I played WoW for many years, even worked for Blizzard for a few years and finally I believe I'm rid of it all (unless a new expansion comes out which I'll possibly play for a 1month or so)
I now play a lot of League of Legends which is f2p and very fun once you start to understand it!
Also enjoying a bit of War Thunder which is good fun, especially with friends!