Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alien Swarm

zubel
Community Veteran

Alien Swarm

Hi peeps.
Anyone had any trouble playing this in the evening recently?  I've been suffering from intermittent bad latency when hosting, or when playing.
Not got around to Wiresharking it yet, but wondered if anyone else had problems?
Cheers
B.
4 REPLIES 4
wacky17
Grafter

Re: Alien Swarm

I think it is value tbh as my mate normally hosts when we all play the game but i have noticed people moaning about the lag even me and sometimes its unplayable. What you have to remind yourself with is that this game is a new free 'value' game on steam so the servers might be overwhelmed.
zubel
Community Veteran

Well, there are no 'game servers' per se, as I choose to host.  I have an i7-980x machine with 12GB memory so I'm pretty sure that my machine is able to cope with a little hosting.  Unfortunately, (intermittently) everyone who connects to me gets pretty bad lag, which gets substantially worse when it just passes midnight (which makes me think that it's probably unclassified traffic)
I'll wireshark it tonight and have a look see.
Cheers
B.
scootie
Grafter

Unfortunately, (intermittently) everyone who connects to me gets pretty bad lag, which gets substantially worse when it just passes midnight (which makes me think that it's probably unclassified traffic)

they certainly sound the sort of symptoms that wrongly classified traffic would give, the midnight big rate relax should see no effect on titanium, but gold plated and below will see some latency spikes at midnight
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Installed it the other day but not got round to playing it yet, if I do get the chance this weekend I'll keep a keen eye on latency and report back to this thread.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵