cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions on plusnet gaming...

Mercer

A few questions on plusnet gaming...

Hi, getting the pro package installed soon.
Was wondering how FPS games perform? Am I guaranteed relatively low ping? 
Been without internet for a while, looking forward to playing bfbc2. Anyone know if a pentium D 3.4GHz will run it till I get my new system? Requirements say core 2 duo, but the D is dual core so..?  Undecided
Also, can anyone reccomend a few good headsets so I can be a total geek while playing...  Embarrassed
Many thanks in advance!  Wink
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: A few questions on plusnet gaming...

On the Pro package you shouldn't have any problems with FPS games, I used to play a lot and didn't have any issues.
If you want to check if your PC will run games, try going here: http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/
For a headset I've currently got a set of these and they do the job nicely.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

I thought every package had the same priority on VOIP and Gaming?? I've not seen any improvement on Pro with gaming tbh, but everyones different.
dick:quote
Woody3600
Grafter

Do turtle beaches work on PC? A couple of friends use them for 360 and they appear to be very successful Smiley
Grff
Grafter

Turtle Beach headsets are great.  I use it when the missus goes to bed, and they're excellent for COD and other FPS's.
People sometimes wonder how I knew they were coming and truth is you just hear them. Unless they have ninja on of course.  Wink
I'd say you're not 'guaranteed' to get low pings, but you should get as good as your line will give you.  I get around 100-150ms on my xbox, but then that's down to my line quality and interleaving.  If you've not got any issues with your line (what was previous ISP like?), you should be ok.
scootie
Grafter

pro is designed at pc gamers as pc games use many different port numbers ect so when new games come out plusnet need to grab a wireshark of the games traffic and then build a sig so there traffic management system knows the game. its this gap of a week (normally) or 2 where there maybe no sig for a game that pro comes into its own by giving you know lower prrioity than gold where on extra an value your gaming traffic may be classed as low as p2p (bronze) for that week or 2.
once the sig is in place all packages are the same bar 2 which i think are value and unlimited (no longer sold) which have a 2mb speed cap on gaming traffic (never effected my gaming) as the prioity of the traffic is still titanium EDIT. value is gold as below in bentrimble's post
xbox uses a standard port of 3074 for all games so its a default sig for all xbox games and dont have to worry about new games not having a PN sig ready
i have a pair of turtle beach's, brought them a few years ago to play at night, but find even during the day i will tend to put them on as they give you a good advantage (only games i don't use them with 100% of the time are racing games) and they also cut out all the nagging from the misses Roll_eyes )
the earforce x1's are cabled and plug easy into the pc (use mine on my pc for skype), for my xbox i use hdmi cable so i plug my set into the one usb port on the tv for power and the speaker in the headphone socket of the tv, basically if its got headphone socket and a usb power source from any close by equpmipment then the headphones work, same for the mic
all about wireshark http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@MakeTeaNotWar
Gaming on...
Value is limited to 2mbps and prioritised as gold
Other residential packages and Business Option 1 and 2 is not limited (line speed) and prioritised as titanium
Business Option 3 is limited to 2mbps and prioritised as titanium
These links may be helpful:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_prioritisation.shtml
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
scootie
Grafter

hum thought value was still classed as titanium, i know unlimited was still classed as titanium with the 2mb speed cap.
so if i wanted a cheap line that i just gamed on and nothing else with a usage under 10gb then value would be of no use still
God
Grafter

Only 2 days to go until my XBOX arrives and my mind is turning to my BB connection.
Hmmm... I am on a legacy package, BBYW2 which I notice is only rated as ok for 'occasional gaming’.
Why would it only be good for occasional gaming? Surely it is either up to speed or not, is traffic prioritization different on the legacy packages?
Swapping packages is out of the question, ‘Value’ it no use to me and ‘Extra’ is a price hike as I am not in a low cost area (BTW I think having two prices for the same product sucks, geographical discrimination!).
Any gamers out there with BBYW2 who can tell me if the gaming experience is ok or not?
scootie
Grafter

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/plusnet_essential/experience/traffic_prioriti...
titanium on bbyw2 so all good there, in the review of bbyw2 by PN the occasional part is to do with the usage cap, But gaming uses next to nothing compared to iplayer an music streaming services and the likes. There bascaily saying if you want to do p2p vpn gaming streaming all on the bbyw2 profile then its ok to do abit of all but if your going to use iplayer 24/7 its no good.
bbyw2 is fine for xbox
if you post your line stats we can tell you if turning interleaving off would be a good choice to lower your latency for gaming
God
Grafter

Sounds Good! Thanks for the clarification.
Line Stats Attached:
Edit:
Oh... Will I need to make any changes to my router for xbox or is it just a case of telling the xbox the wireless details and away we go (crosses fingers).
scootie
Grafter

take it your buying the new release xbox with in built wireless adapter, if not then you need to buy the adapter sperate.
you have a netgear which are pretty good at Upnp so yes should be plug an play, if you have issues joining games ect then you can give the xbox a static local ip and set this ip up in the router as the dmz server which opens the xbox's ports up
looks like your line is fit to have interleaving turned off, thoe it looks as tho the auto system as it turned off at mo anyway (just might get switched back on when its running in auto mode
God
Grafter

Yup I purchased the new puppy with built in wi-fi, sorry for the delay iin replying (sore thumbs from Trials HD!).
I connected it up, gave it the wi-fi password and that was it nothing else required,
scootie
Grafter

if you have any lag issues (latency) then its all ways best to try an Ethernet cable. many people game fine on wi-fi but i always use Ethernet for gaming as its never going to cause spikes in latency.
not tried trails hd apart from the demo but heard its very addictive, my sore thumbs award goes to flying the planes in battlefield 1943