cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Question About Lag Compensation In Videogames (BF3 In Particular.)

mgrammatica

Re: A Question About Lag Compensation In Videogames (BF3 In Particular.)

(A big hello to everyone here first of all as its my first post !)
I was on Virgin and having the experience you describe, the instant deaths. After a load of research i discovered an accumulative amount of packet loss along hops to various COD Ghost IPs taken from my router log. I was informed of a 'high utilization' issue by Virgin which could cause packet loss and i put this 'instant death' issue down to this fault.
They continued to delay the proposed repair time month by month until i blew a fuse. With the other initiative to save money by dropping TV services i looked into better broadband and phone pricing from other suppliers, but with a good reputation for line quality. It appeared Plusnet was the best for packet loss and jitter performance, aswell as the traffic shaping, customer service, etc etc. After 17 (?) years of using cable and contracted to C+W to NTL to Virgin, we cancelled the contract and even payed 'some' cancellation fees.
Well, here i am and SH*T !! the connection is better but it means i die even FASTER ! now on COD Ghosts lol.
The FTTC unlimited has been installed for about a week or so but i have only plugged in a router and connected online these past two days so its too early to make a verdict.
Whats worse, i still had some time before Virgin disconnected their services and i did some tests. Funny enough, the last couple of weeks things seemed to of improved regarding insta-death. It also appeared that doing regular things like browsing was choppy at times. So perhaps the line was getting worse but that meant an improvement for Ghosts.
They did say they would of had the fault repaired by Feb 14, maybe that was the reason for improvement ? Its frustrating.
On the other hand i was finally told by a phone rep that they were being bought by an American company who were promising to upgrade the lines but the local council were preventing them or something like that. True or not, i know it would take forever to complete and i've never been happy dealing with Virgin and the grief their EuroDocsis can cause. If people like Plusnet can compete even outperform and i don't want TV services then i give up on waiting for Virgin.
But more on topic, im gonna experiment with a WAN emulator and try to find a combination of latency, packet loss and jitter that gives me a good experience on COD Ghosts. I play on Xbox now btw, i was on PS3.
I wonder if there is anything Plusnet can do to add latency other than interleaving ?
wo0x
Grafter

Interesting, Mgrammatica. I have had a problem with packet loss at my exchange since December and BF4 gameplay has been poor. It seems the exchange issue has been fixed in the last few days, but now the gameplay is even worse.  Undecided
Regarding Plusnet being able to do something to increase latency, I have had them try switching interleaving on; I found this to be worse, which goes against the initial theory of lower latency punishing players. Though this would depend on the threshold at which 'lag compensation' is applied - if it's, say 50ms, I would be below that with interleaving or not. My ping is generally 11ms to google.com, 25ms to UK BF4 servers.
I have no idea really, but it seems strange that I am having more lag now that I'm not getting packet loss. Could just be coincidence, maybe these past few days would have been worse before my exchange was fixed. I'll see how things go over the next few days, hopefully the gaming will only be as poor as when I had packet loss, lol.
As it is I'm getting rubber-banding in vehicles, my character feels slow on foot and when aiming my sensitivity feels like it is being adjusted constantly whilst trying to lead targets. I'm also being killed very easily and very quickly by clearly inferior players. Guys with 0.5KDRs (no offence intended to anyone btw!) are performing like highly skilled competitive players - I have played competitive matches and there is no way what I am seeing is 'right.'
skybondy
Grafter

Just to chime in on this... I too have exactly the same problem, the insta-dropping  is so out of control its crazy, on any cod. .I've been playing competitive on 360 for 8 years, but i get beat by complete newbs as you have already mentioned. Perhaps trying a switch in interleaving would help my case?... but its unbearable! Im guessing i have high packet loss somewhere, and currently experiencing some interesting spike in lag for very brief moments every few minutes...sigh lol
skybondy
Grafter

Update: switching interleaving back on has fixed my issue, no more insta dropping.
wo0x
Grafter

Quote from: skybondy
Update: switching interleaving back on has fixed my issue, no more insta dropping.

Hi, just wondering what ping times you are getting now?
As I said before, my pings are below 50ms with or without interleaving and gaming is awful... when I was with TalkTalk my pings were higher, but gaming was perfect.
skybondy
Grafter

Ping difference is negligible, hardly touched it to be honest. but difference in gaming is night and day, all these tens of thousands of complaints all over the internet about the insta-drop lol, and I can only suggest that they too are experiencing an Interleaving issue and just don't realize... like myself, been having trouble for a long time and just figured it was the games lol, but if only I'd known the difference was something staring me in the face.
I'm sure most gamers get there Interleaving adjusted and perhaps back in the day doing that did help, but packet loss really does impact the playability as testament to my finding,
Good luck with your search