cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Vision

David_W
Rising Star

3D Vision

So, my credit card is crying in a corner because I decided to try 3D, I got a bundle (120hz monitor + Geforce 3D kit) from Scan and it arrived today, excitedly I set it all up and then waited patiently for 3 hours for the batteries in the glasses to charge, really long 3 hours that!
3 hours were up and I went through the set up wizard, no problem there (failed the medical test though.... oddly, but I ignore that :P).
All charged, all ready, fired up a demo and, I'm not sure what I was expecting, maybe a bit of depth of field, not sure, but what I got simply blew me away, characters were standing out, you could see distance between them, on the spore video, the game was in 3D but the control area was a 2D interface, you had little lights falling around and you could see them in 3D, floating, it's hard to describe how captivating the images were, it really did blow my mind!
Then I tried Fallout New Vegas, it gives a bit of depth perception, nothing remarkable but I think that's only rated fair, time to find my, ohh there it is, my Farcry 3 disc, apparently that's excellent.  Driving games though look amazing, it adds a whole new realm to the gaming, it's fantastic and, goodness, I really didn't expect it to be what it was!  Not sure if anyone remembers those old holographic things that were popular in the 80's that gave a 3D effect, it's very much like that.
It's supposed to get better aswell, you start off with 15% which is low, but as your eyes become accustomed to them you can increase that figure, I'm shocked by the change just adding 3D can bring, really not pleased that my new monitor seems to have a stuck pixel however.
I'll post the results of Farcry 2 after it's installed, which iirc takes about 2 decades >.<
/edit - best laid plans and all that, I can't find my booklet with my CD Key on it, maybe I should try Doom 3..... ok, maybe not Shocked
7 REPLIES 7
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: 3D Vision

@David
Sounds good, very expensive though 😮
ive been running old Anaglyph style 3D (Blue/Red Glasses) and i agree, the depth is fantastic.. just a shame this poor mans 3D means the image ends up purple tinged 😛
I Can recommend Dragon Age in 3D, also Trackmania Smiley
I would take a pass at Doom in 3D  Embarrassed lol
David_W
Rising Star

I've played COD4 for about 10 seconds, then it crashed but looked good, Bioshock 2 looked kind of weird, not sure I could play that in 3D for very long, or maybe it was just the beginning scene.  Empire: Total war, the main map in 3D is very unfocused, didn't get around to a battle, Fallout New Vegas, it adds an entirely new dimension (hehe).  I didn't realise you had to press Ctrl+T to actually turn 3D on ingame so I was wondering why it looked "normal", tried it with GTR2 and err that turns on turbo time so makes the game unplayable, will have to remap the keys.
I'll try COD4 again later, just got internet back, it went after finding my Farcry 2 key so I couldn't activate, it's a conspiracy I tell ya!
/edit - I just played FFXIV with the specs, now FFXIV is already a gorgeous game, but when I put the specs on it was even better, sharper, crisper with better depth perception, I felt like I could reach out and grab the falling cherry blossoms from the screen, it became a totally different game, an amazingly gorgeous visual experience!  Magic the gathering was also good, but I couldn't read the cards properly which may be due more to resolution than anything else.
Picnic
Grafter

Quote from: David
I didn't realise you had to press Ctrl+T to actually turn 3D on ingame

Can't you toggle the 3D on/off with the green button on the IR transmitter in the kit.
David_W
Rising Star

Green button is always on, you push the button on the specs which synch them up and then ingame turn on the 3D, it's so menus and stuff when you fire up a game are not in 3D which may cause issues.  Also have a weird issue on turning my PC on, the usb thing messes up my usb so slows everything down and it takes forever to turn my usb keyboard/mouse on, no idea why that is.
Now though, I'm eagerly awaiting Winter.... Elder Scrolls 5, in 3D, that's going to be fantastic although I really should get my eyes adjusted to it before then.
Picnic
Grafter

Quote from: David
Green button is always on, you push the button on the specs which synch them up and then ingame turn on the 3D

I think you've got that wrong, the glasses are receivers only. The transmitter has no idea you've got the glasses powered on or not. On my system with FSX starting the games it's in 3D, glasses on or not. I get the blurred display of the left and right images alternating. If I press the green button I get a 2D image (no double images and a 70% frame rate increase), press the green button it goes 3d again.
David_W
Rising Star

That's a setting in the control panel, you can choose to have 3D off at the start as it'll mess up some games, I have the option turned off.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

As someone who is partcially sighted in one eye, I deeply regret the march to 3D as it totally excludes me, and I'm worried that things there were perfectly good for me to watch or play (TV, films, games) will soon become unavailable to me as they will be 3D and I won't.