cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2x PS3 Nat Type MODERATE

AmBush2k
Hooked

2x PS3 Nat Type MODERATE

Myself and my partner have a PS3 each, we are both using wired connection (Same setup we had before getting Fibre) to Router
SAGEMCOM
Model: ROUTER 2704N PLUSNET FTTC
We both play Call of Duty: Advanced Warefare Before we changed to fibre had no problems with NAT TYPE as both were OPEN, now we both have MODERATE I
have found a couple of fixes that require putting PS3 into DMZ, this works great for me however the missus PS3 will still be MODERATE.
I would like to know how to put Both PS3's into DMZ or make them OPEN please

I Have set both PS3's to static IP in the PS3 settings after watching https://youtu.be/PExXds4LKcE
IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.5
SUBNET: 255.255.255.0
DEFAULT ROUTER: 192.168.1.254
PRIMARY DNS: 192.168.1.254

I have also tried on another PS3 (wireless) which shows NAT TYPE:MODERATE
Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7150291M001154
3 - Firmware version: 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode Fibre
6 - Uptime: 0 days 16:14:51
7 - Data rate: 100M/100M
8 - Maximum data rate: 100M/100M
9 - Noise margin: -
10 - Line attenuation: -
12 - Data sent/received: 119.9M/763.0M
20 - Broadband username: #########@plusdsl.net
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: ##########
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: 5
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address: 44:e9:dd:ac:1d:6e
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.273.1

8 REPLIES 8
legume
Rising Star

Re: 2x PS3 Nat Type MODERATE

I don't have 2 ps3s or a sagemcom so there should be others that can help with specifics.
I do have 2 x Xbox 360s set up with open nat on my lan using an old PC as a router.
When it worked with DSL was it the same router?
Generally speaking - You really can't do this with DMZ/port forwards.
You need to set the consoles to get their setup/address by DHCP (Auto) and they should then use UPNP/IGD protocols to map their ports and get the wan address.
Maybe there is a setting somewhere on the router to enable upnp, of course if it is already enabled but still doesn't work then hopefully someone from the forum/plusnet could help/look into it further.

AmBush2k
Hooked

Cheers for your reply. I omitted to add i have UPNP enabled in the router and on both PS3's
legume
Rising Star

I tested a bit tonight with a single PS3 to see what it did upnp wise and the results were a bit confusing.
When I say "it" I really mean COD Ghosts, because unlike the xboxes it seems that it's the game that does its own upnp stuff when starting (the ps3 does also opens a different port at boot).
On to the confusion - COD tries for port 3074 but it's already owned by one of the xboxes so as expected it chooses and opens a different one. This does not as expected let the game report open nat - on investigating this it turns out that even though it didn't get 3074 the nat test still happens on that port as well as on the port it did get 😞
I can confirm this as I have total control over my router so I can arrange for 3074 to be open for the PS3 even  though upnp won't give it - result = nat type open.
This seems to be a COD Ghosts bug - given you say your newer COD used to work maybe it doesn't behave the same, or maybe a different upnpd/nat doesn't trigger it. I'll have to test/dump more to see exactly what communication occurs.
The fact that I see an incoming test on the allocated port makes me wonder whether it would in fact still work as if it had open nat. I can't test with two PS3s like you can so -
Maybe you could disable any DMZ/port forwarding on the router, reboot, then try with your CODs to see if things work as if you had open nat eg. one PS3 starts a private match invites the other and one/more friends from the internet. If this works then the fact the game reports moderate isn't actually hurting you.
legume
Rising Star

This may be nothing to do with your issue as you aren't running ghosts - but anyway I looked closer at what was happening with ghosts and it does seem to be buggy.
First it successfully gets the external ip address.
Then it asks if there is  a port mapping for 3074 and is told there is.
Then it successfully gets external ip address again.
Then it asks for a different port mapping this time it is free so upnp allocates it.
Ghosts then asks for the external ip address again but the xml it sends is malformed so it gets an http 400.Bad.Request response and there it ends.
This is analysed with tcpdump showing ASCII contents of packets and it 100% repeatable.
AmBush2k
Hooked

We played Ghosts yesterday without issue, However i didn't think to look see if the NAT was open or Moderate.
Playing AW today we have had no end of problems, my missus couldn't join my party then when she did she got booted after one round.
She tried joining again several times but no success, she switched off her PS3 & tried again, it worked for a while. I switched my PS3 off when i switched it on again i couldn't get signed in to PSN  Angry
When I Eventually did get signed in she sent me an invite which worked we played one round and I was out of party at the end of that round.
I am beginning to regret switching to FIBRE. Can anyone recommend another router as i feel the PN router is not up to standard  Sad
AmBush2k
Hooked

I would also like to know, Does anyone from Plusnet actually read these posts?
Mathias
Grafter

Nearly 1 week later and no reply from PN, think there's your answer...
AmBush2k
Hooked

Over TWO WEEKS we are Beginning to loose faith in Plusnet, this is not good.
Will be taking this further up the food chain