cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100% Packet Loss - Xbox One S 2TB

johncranston

100% Packet Loss - Xbox One S 2TB

Hi, looking to the forums for assistance on this one. I recently bought my wife a new Xbox One S 2TB console, and since we've set it up we've had nothing but nightmares with the connectivity. Here's what happens.

1. We boot up the console and connect to live, we're connected using wifi to our Plusnet router. Typical speeds ~40Mbps down, ~14Mbs up, 0 packet loss.
  2. We start playing something - Overwatch, Warframe, Youtube - it doesn't seem to matter what we're doing on there, but for the first 15-30 mins or so everything is stable.
  3. If we're playing a game, we'll start getting kicked out of it, or unable to find a match etc. The whole time, we're still "connected" to Xbox Live, but when doing a Detailed network statistics report, it says we have 100% packet loss. Hell, even now I've sat writing this post doing nothing at all on it and the packet loss issue has occurred!

Now I've tried xbox support on twitter, and they gave me a link to a troubleshooter. I followed all the steps on there (resetting console, resetting router, removing interference from other device, putting console in DMZ, etc) and eventually concluded that none of them were able to resolve the issue permanently. As a workaround, I can go into the Advanced settings > Alternate Mac address > Clear", which then reboots my console, and I'm fine again for another half hour, but it's not going to work out for me long term, I need a real fix for this.

The final step in the troubleshooter says to contact your ISP, so I did, and they gave me similar things to do, resetting the router, switching channels, etc. Again, I tried all the things suggested there, but still no good.

We have other consoles in this house - Xbox One 500GB, PS4, Xbox 360's - that are all fine and have no semblance of this problem. If anyone here has any suggestions, I am willing to try anything, please help.

8 REPLIES 8
legume
Rising Star

Re: 100% Packet Loss - Xbox One S 2TB

Depending on which router you have, you could try separating the wireless channels - for hub one how is mentioned here -

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/New-Hub-Router-very-poor-Wifi-Connection/td-p/1352830

Before that, as you have multiple consoles, the setting DMZ you have done may hinder getting open nat on them (if it ever worked anyway), so you need to reverse that + reboot router.

Alternately, you could consider doing a factory reset on the router to clear things.

Either way, hopefully the upnp on the router will be able to help with the multiple consoles again.

There's a guide somewhere on the plusnet router pages how to do a factory reset (if needed). Maybe make sure you know all your settings eg. logon username/password first just in case it doesn't auto set them up (which AIUI it should, if you wait a while).

johncranston

I had a look in the router settings but I only seem to have 2.4GHz (it's the Technicolor TG582n FTTC).

I guess I might have to try factory reset on it and then see how that goes. Cheers legume Thumbs_Up

legume
Rising Star

Oh, one of those old things. Of course it may be something completely different, but I recall historic posts about them not being able to handle too many devices.

Perhaps a test after reboot/reset with just the new xbox on/connected could prove/disprove this.

johncranston

Well, the factory reset followed by limited devices testing proved fruitless.

The last thing I have left to check is if a wired connection has the same issue, but need to buy a 10m long ethernet cable first 😕

tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Wired is always best but its not going to help you if (like me) you have other people in the house that deem long cables trailing everywhere unattractive.

If you find wired deals with the issue you could try some powerline adapters like these ones:

http://www.ebuyer.com/729002-d-link-av2-1000-hd-gigabit-twin-powerline-kit-dhp-601av-b

Be warned these arent without their issues too however but can be a good solution

Alternatively an alternative (i didnt say better plusnet mods!!!) router might be the way to go.  I have always had good experience with Asus routers for gaming:

http://www.ebuyer.com/264489-asus-rt-n56u-black-diamond-dual-band-wireless-n600-gigabit-router-rt-n5...

Hope that helps Thumbs_Up

johncranston

Yep, better router did the trick. I tried wired connection but the Technicolor still was giving me grief. Took the console round to a buddys house and everything was fine and dandy. Rang Plusnet and they offered me a new router for £99 one off fee, or £0 if I recontract, which I did instead.

Can confirm that the Hub One does not present the same issue, so this has all been resolved now. Thanks everyone who replied to the post, your help was appreciated.

Mods, feel free to lock this post now Cool

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

yeah the tg582n's were never designed for the data throughput, they started to heat up and then everything would fail on them, some people had /have zero issues but that's likely down to accidentally putting it in a draft so it didn't generate heat lol

I on the other hand couldn't get mine to stay online for more than 15 minutes when everyone was at home so I never got past trying to set it up before plugging it into the phone line before replacing it Wink

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
teamrazer

wife  had the same issue  on her xboxone  i purchased recently for her, internet speed was fine but packetloss was unreal, the wifi component in the xboxone is [-Censored-], garbage!, i replaced her's with a powerplug from zyxel called the pla5206 which delivers by ethernet 1 gb's data, connected to the router we have "draytek 2830n V2" and now she can play her game without lag or packet loss